1963 Lark ad from Seattle Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Lark ad from Seattle Times

I found this ad in an online archive of the Seattle Times, from the December 10, 1962 edition. The list of Puget Sound area and other Washington State Studebaker dealers caught my eye and I thought other folks might be interested.
    Attached Files

Cool! Interesting to note that Snoqualmie had a dealer, especially this late in the game....

Comment

Yes even all the way up to the Canadian Border in Everson at J and L, we have at least 3 of the Cars they sold here now.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That was typical of a factory ad in which the local dealer names would be stripped in below the stock ad.

Here are two more, including the same ad in the Indianapolis (central Indiana) market.

Click to enlarge. ('Sure were a lot of Studebaker dealers in Chicagoland; the second ad. Late in 1958, I accompanied my Dad to Gorman Motors in Oak Park. Age 12. While I oogled the new 1959 Larks on the showroom floor, he was trading our 1953 DeSoto Firedome -yes, it had a hemi- toward a nice, used, turquoise and white 1957 Commander DeLuxe 4-door for the family's "new" car.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	63studeadindy0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1725262 Click image for larger version

Name:	63studeadchicago0002.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1725263

'Note that the first ad mentions that you can have a "supercharged Avanti engine" for only about $17 a month more on your 36-month loan! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's a similar ad that was too large to scan all at once, so I had to scan it in two parts.

As you can imagine, the Avanti is the upper half of the ad and the Lark Custom, the lower half. Click to enlarge:

Name:	63studeadhalf.jpg
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1725264

Name:	63studeadtophalf.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1725265

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Large format newspaper 1963 Studebaker of Canada ad where the emphasis is more on their acquisitions than the cars. Handwriting on the wall??

Craig

Comment

What I wish we could have in TW are letters from Studebaker buyers that actually were won over from another brand. That would be fun reading. I remember seeing one or two that were sent to Studebaker HQ back then.
              My father traded in a great 1956 Chevy with power options for the first 1960 Corvair in Minnesota. He said it was by far the worst car he ever owned - right from the showroom floor.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Scott,
                The same goes for my family. Back in 1955 we had just emigrated to Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada from jolly old England. First we had a Hillman (it was all we were familiar with and most likely all we could afford), then a 1955 Chevrolet 210 (I think) 2 door post and lastly purchased a 1956 Commander 4 door, 289, 4 bbl with overdrive. It was a terrific automobile that was heads and shoulders above the Chev. That was my indoctrination into Studebakers and it has held for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be here on the forum if it hadn't been for that Commander. My older brother used to race other school kids in their fathers' rides and seldom lost.
                As an aside, it appears I still own 5 items made from the various Studebaker divisions.
                Bill

Comment

Does the bulldog with an "S" on the side in the Seattle ad have any special significance?

Comment

The dealer in Snoqualmie was a long time Studebaker dealer, even after '64. The Family was heavily involved in SDC for years (Seattle Chapter Co-founders?) and has some nice rides! Pretty sure there was a write up in TW about them. Around here, we had a few dealer strong holds or remnants from them lasting until the early 1980's.

Comment

Nice story! It's hard for me to imagine a Hillman doing well in Alberta.
                      Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                      Scott,
                      The same goes for my family. Back in 1955 we had just emigrated to Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada from jolly old England. First we had a Hillman (it was all we were familiar with and most likely all we could afford), then a 1955 Chevrolet 210 (I think) 2 door post and lastly purchased a 1956 Commander 4 door, 289, 4 bbl with overdrive. It was a terrific automobile that was heads and shoulders above the Chev. That was my indoctrination into Studebakers and it has held for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be here on the forum if it hadn't been for that Commander. My older brother used to race other school kids in their fathers' rides and seldom lost.
                      As an aside, it appears I still own 5 items made from the various Studebaker divisions.
                      Bill
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by OldJoe View Post
                        Does the bulldog with an "S" on the side in the Seattle ad have any special significance?
                        Sure, Joe; it's for Studebaker! BP

Comment

Ha! I got that Bob. Was the dog a special mascot for the 1963 advertising campaign? Sherwood Egbert's pet? Why a bulldog? What's he/she got to do with Studebaker and the Lark? What's the history, if you know?

Comment

Originally posted by OldJoe View Post
                            Ha! I got that Bob. Was the dog a special mascot for the 1963 advertising campaign? Sherwood Egbert's pet? Why a bulldog? What's he/she got to do with Studebaker and the Lark? What's the history, if you know?
                            You've got me on those questions, Joe. AFAIK, there was no dog / bulldog central to any 1963 advertising campaign. 'Probably just something the advertising company dreamed up for that one ad. BP

Comment

The dog was the mascot of Dotre Dame, Before the drunk Leprecaun....

Comment

Working...
                              X