Thread: Borg Warner W/O overdrive?

Borg Warner W/O overdrive?

Was wondering if any of the 63 larks came with a non overdrive 3 speed trans/If they did I would sure like to find one to replace my over drive BW 3 speed.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bar
    Last edited by Crosley8; 02-08-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: mispelling

Of course they did, that was the "Standard" equipment when no extra cost optional Trans. was chosen.
    Some "unknowing" buyers actually tried to save a buck in the short term, but LOST in the Long Term by not buying the O.D.

However, ALL of us long time Studebaker experienced Owners/Drivers would strongly disapprove of that change!

If you do not like freewheeling up to a stop sign below 32 MPH in stop and go City traffic, just pull the Handle on the O.D. Cable OUT before driving to lock out Overdrive.

However the Factory installed Rear Axle Ratio is intended for use with Overdrive at higher speeds, so Highway/Interstate travel will suffer if you lock out the overdrive or change to a 3 speed direct Trans.

A '63 Studebaker 6 comes with a T-96 Borg Warner with or without the Borg Warner R-10 O.D. on the back.
    A Manual Trans. 3 Speed V8, has a T-86 W or W/O O.D.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-08-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley8 View Post
    Was wondering if any of the 63 larks came with a non overdrive 3 speed trans/If they did I would sure like to find one to replace my over drive BW 3 speed.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bar
    I'm not sure how long you have been into Studebakers, but your request is the reverse of most Studebaker owners I know, and I have owned Studebakers and driven them since 1975. Also, you need to specify if your Lark is a six or eight cylinder engine. If you provide the necessary information, probably someone will sell you one dirt cheap (or give you one) as long as you are willing to drive to pick it up yourself. Most of us don't think they are worth the effort to strap one to a pallet and haul to a shipper.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Silver Hawk Member
    To each his own, but agree with most here, the overdrive is a necessity on a standard 3-speed Stude.

Your car, but help us understand what circumstance leads one to want to go without?

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    A long time ago, I bought, from the widow of the original owner, a ‘64 Daytona hardtop - 259” V-8, straight 3 speed (no overdrive), solid bench seat, standard steering and brakes. I had owned many Studebaker with Overdrive, so I knew what I was missing. As it turned out, though, I drove that car for several years and it was quite satisfactory. It had a 3.07 rear axle ratio so it wasn’t bad on the highway. I knew I could install an Overdrive transmission but it didn’t seem like a pressing need.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    A long time ago, I bought, from the widow of the original owner, a ‘64 Daytona hardtop - 259” V-8, straight 3 speed (no overdrive), solid bench seat, standard steering and brakes. I had owned many Studebaker with Overdrive, so I knew what I was missing. As it turned out, though, I drove that car for several years and it was quite satisfactory. It had a 3.07 rear axle ratio so it wasn’t bad on the highway. I knew I could install an Overdrive transmission but it didn’t seem like a pressing need.
    Does anyone have easy access to the Manual which would confirm which ratio would have been standard for a '64 259" standard 3-speed? Wonder if the 3.07 was a special order? Those usually came with automatics.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Does anyone have easy access to the Manual which would confirm which ratio would have been standard for a '64 259" standard 3-speed? Wonder if the 3.07 was a special order? Those usually came with automatics.

jack vines
    I don't have the 1964 information handy,, but I do have the 1963 information. I will assume that they are the same with regards to rear axle ratio. For the V8s with three speed, 3.07 was standard on the sedans and hardtops and 3.31 was standard on the wagons, convertibles, Cruiser and Hawk. The options were 3.31 for the 3.07 and 3.73 for the 3.31. With overdrive, the standard and optional ratios were reversed.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    From General Specifications - 1964 Models - with 259 engine - 64V F2-F4-Y2-Y4-Y8-J8 - with axle model 27 - with standard transmission - standard ratio: 3.07

BUT with a 289, the 3.31 was Standard with Automatic and Standard Trans. (Direct) with O.D. a 3.73 was used.

I like the performance of the 3.31 better without TOO much loss of Economy, Quiet Cruising, etc.

Its a 259 v8 car the parts. Seem costly to fix,solenoid. I like the 3 on the tree,but just running it stop light to stoplight.With th . OD handle pulled out it still seems to coast?

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Its a 259 v8 car the parts. Seem costly to fix,solenoid. I like the 3 on the tree,but just running it stop light to stoplight.With th . OD handle pulled out it still seems to coast?
    If you are driving with the overdrive control handle pulled out, it should never free-wheel, if that is what you mean by "coasting." Something's wrong. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Speedster Member
    Check to see if cable is hooked to trans, there are 3 levers on driver side of OD trans. pull the rear lever fwd and wire it with mechanix wire. Now you should have a std. non coasting trans. As they used to say" even your 16 yr old son can do it".( Quoted from a carb attachment add in the 50s)..

I won't drive a Stude without overdrive, and I wish my overdrive Studes came with 4.11 gears instead of 4.54.

My 63 Lark came new with no overdrive, and I never drive it because the engine is racing to just do 50 MPH.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    I won't drive a Stude without overdrive, and I wish my overdrive Studes came with 4.11 gears instead of 4.54.

My 63 Lark came new with no overdrive, and I never drive it because the engine is racing to just do 50 MPH.
    In 1964, one day I had a loaner car from the Studebaker dealer. It was a six cylinder standard. I used it for my regular work use that day which consisted of about 125 miles of varied driving. That poor Lark acted like it was being worked to death. I was glad to give it back.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I have a T85C-148 transmission that I got in a parts swap. It is non O/D. If it would work for you, we could figure something out. I believe this type of trans was used in Golden Hawks and Packards. I'm sure someone can correct that if I'm wrong.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Seem costly to fix,solenoid.
    Good solenoids can be had for less than $100. At swap meets they usually go for $75-$85.
    And replacing the solenoid weighs a lot less than the transmission. And you should replace the oil seal along with it. I believe that is part# 196183.
    Last edited by rockne10; 02-17-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"