Turn signals for ‘49

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Turn signals for ‘49

Folks, I could use some advice on where to buy and brand of aftermarket add on turn signal kit for my ‘49 Stude pickup. Thx

Look on eBay. There are several aftermarket kits available.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Speedway Motors switch is intended for your purpose, and is a good deal for $29.99.

For early autos not equipped with right and left turn signals. Chrome plated finish. Switch works with 6 or 12 volt systems. Includes wiring diagram. Clamps to any steering column with included stainless hose clamp. Switch has four-way flashers and does not self cancel. Universal fitment Works in 6 or 12 volt systems Easily adaptable to nearly any existing steering column Chrome plastic body with a metal turn signal switch handle 3 position switch: Right, Off, Left Built-in 4 way flasher Fits up to 2-inch steering column Larger clamp (not included) can be fitted for column exceeding 2-inches in diameter

Wilk offers what appears to be the exact same switch for $13 less.

Basically a switch is a switch and doesn't care what the voltage is.

You will also need to either add the additional lights, or change the sockets in your parking lights to accept a double filament lamp.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just FYI: The optional directional signals offered for the 2R trucks used four separate lamps and did not employ the factory tail lamps and parking lamps. While the stock tail lamp(s) were double filament, as rockne10 said, the parking lamps were not.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Those Two recommended are the SAME Switch, but I do not see a Cancel Wheel on them, the better Units possibly USA have a Auto Cancel Device.

They look like Chinese attempts at copying a good O'l USA Signal Stat or other Quality brand of Aftermarket Flasher, they use that add-on, funky looking Lever for the 4 Way Flash function.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I do not see a Cancel Wheel on them, the better Units possibly USA have a Auto Cancel Device.
            Correct. These do not auto-cancel. It's getting difficult to find the old Signal-stat or Truk-lite switches, as those companies seem to concentrate on combination switches anymore, with hi-beam, lo-beam, signal and wiper controls.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Why not install the original Studebaker accessory direction signals? You may not be able to find a complete kit, but the individual pieces may be found from Studebaker parts vendors. That's what I did for my '47 Champion. There is a cam on the steering column to cancel the signals if you use a 1947-1952 Studebaker direction signal switch.
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

For the record, Studebaker offered no less than five different accessory truck directional signal kits during the 5.5 years that the 2R trucks were in production. They were to be installed by dealers, so there's no truly "correct" type for a given truck. They did evolve over time, so a 49 truck would be more likely to have an early style -- but dealers installed what they had in stock. The early types did not self-cancel. The later ones did, but only if you attached a little tab to the underside of the steering wheel that (if properly located) would hit a lever on the signal switch. Neither the truck steering columns nor the steering wheels had provisions for self-cancelling.

The complete signal kits are very hard to find, though individual parts (new and used) come up on ebay and at Stude meets from time to time. I have a box full of used truck signal components, but no complete kits. A lot of trucks got aftermarket signal lamps installed by owners, anyway.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Does it have parking lights below headlites? You may have to add the front signal lights.

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice. The comments have been helpful. Yes, I hv the parking lights below the headlights. I will add signal lites on all 4 corners.

Comment

The above fender lights where UUUUGLY. I removed them on my 3e7. only change I'll ever make to that truck. I'm putting them inside the grille.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick Question: Where is Francis, OKlahoma? I'm from around Talihina.

Comment

If self canceling is a real issue for you; you can get a solid state auto canceling unit, similer to what motorcycles have used for over 20 years, on E-bay for $50-$60 and just wire it in. A simple turn signal circuit can also be made from a couple SPDT relays, a flasher and an DPDT on-off-on toggle switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                          The above fender lights where UUUUGLY. I removed them on my 3e7. only change I'll ever make to that truck. I'm putting them inside the grille.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I like them -- they make the trucks look more truck-y. When I grew up, all trucks of all sizes had fender-mounted signal lamps.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

If your truck still has the original electrical system, it's 6v positive ground. Go look at which post on the battery is attached to ground.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Okay, I know these aren't particularly pretty, but they do tick most of the boxes.

I got involved in searching out 6-volt lights too as I've got a '53 2R2-12 on it's way to the UK, though have just seen the container ship will be on a bus service; soon leave Houston for New Orleans and then..? Maybe Miami, somewhere along the coast to South Carolina, possibly NJ and then across the Atlantic. Of course, I hope not, but I can only watch each as the journey unfolds, lol

I'm thinking of attending a large restoration show event next Month in the UK to see what alternatives might be available. I've already found a guy 40 miles away form me, who makes up 6-volt LED stuff, so if I can find light housing I like, we could hopefully just gut the connections and replace with LED, which would be much brighter. But, costs will come into it too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2288421241219958.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1725261
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X