Thread: NASCAR "Hits Reset Button"

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I stopped watching NASCAR when they stopped fielding Stock bodied REAL cars...decades ago.

You want excitement? Go to the drags.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    I stopped watching NASCAR when they stopped fielding Stock bodied REAL cars...decades ago.

Didn't we all, Tony; didn't we all.

Even last Sunday's Super Bowl was modestly more entertaining than a current NASCAR race. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pile View Post
    You want excitement? Go to the drags.
    I can't say it is any different there in the class I'd equate to NASCAR - that being Pro Stock. Prohibitively expensive the NHRA struggles to get a complete field to attend. Virtually every car is a Camaro and they are far from resembling stock. The cars are more like Funny Cars with an unaltered wheelbase and lacking a blower. In the original days of Pro Stock there were roll cages built into a stock floor pan. With so many modern cars being FWD it makes it difficult to run a professional "stock" class without allowing significant floor/chassis modifications. So that kind of rules out any FWD cars as a Pro Stock class and retaining "stock" appearance. Sure there are the Challenger's, Camaro's, Mustang's but what do you do to (some of the) engines that already put out 700+ HP from the factory to set them apart?

Sportsman racing can be interesting but the brake lights to prevent going under a dial in, or dropping a record to make the car uncompetitive kind of dampens the concept of "racing." The last time I got excited at funny cars was when underdog Jim Dunn won the World Finals at Ontario Motor Speedway in his rear engined Barracuda. A few years back I went to Pomona for the Winternational warm-ups. The John Force team has SEVEN tractor trailers taking up the space of a small town. Even the lowliest true stock entry had a motorhome pulling an enclosed trailer. A far cry from drag racing in the 1970's.

Anyway, I'm not attempting to be critical of your preference, rather I am lamenting that to me, NHRA racing has gone the way of NASCAR. And, it is sad to see that money is the common factor.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

I quite racing when NHRA eliminated Classes, and went to "Brackets". That's not racing it's "Reaction Time"...

For the exception of certain Sprint Car series, Motorcycle Flat track, and some vintage drag meets that put the emphasis on vintage, I think mototsports as a whole have become boring - particularly any of the "big show" motorsports. They forget that they are in the entertainment business, and with the cubic money and massive amount of technology in use, it makes it hard to relate to and fairly boring to watch.

I remember as a kid seeing touring pros bring their top fuelers and funny cars to my local track for match races, or Chicago style races, and guys like Garlits and Prudhomme pulled up with a Chevy dually pulling a Chaparral trailer. I could look at that as a kid and think "wow, maybe someday." Now it's like watching the space shuttle. Impressive on some level, but it doesn't capture the imagination or is relatable.

Just my take...
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by voxnut View Post
    I remember as a kid seeing touring pros bring their top fuelers and funny cars to my local track for match races, or Chicago style races, and guys like Garlits and Prudhomme pulled up with a Chevy dually pulling a Chaparral trailer. I could look at that as a kid and think "wow, maybe someday." Now it's like watching the space shuttle. Impressive on some level, but it doesn't capture the imagination or is relatable.

Just my take...
    Well-stated, Dean; I hadn't imagined it that way. Spot-on. BP

Ayn Rand:

Anyway, I'm not attempting to be critical of your preference, rather I am lamenting that to me, NHRA racing has gone the way of NASCAR. And, it is sad to see that money is the common factor.
    Right now the NHRA is undergoing a revival - but in places it hasn't in the past. The Stock Eliminator classes with factory muscle is growing like a week - and it's not just Camaros, but Mustangs and Challengers. Pro Stock is fading, true. The fuel classes are the only pro classes that draw more than the bikes. NASCAR sponsors are leaving and heading to the NHRA when they get more back for their bucks, as public interest grows.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Blog Entries
    NASCAR sponsors are leaving and heading to the NHRA when they get more back for their bucks, as public interest grows.
    And it's good to see that happen.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

President Member
    Rochester NY and Delray Beach FL, ---NY (Summer) FL.(Winter), USA.

AMEN, Could not agree more
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

I will watch the Daytona 500 but that will be about it for NASCAR
    Watch every NHRA event and go to 2 events in person.
    I spend most Saturday nights at a dirt track watching real grass roots racing. There is a 1/8 mile drag strip for Sunday fun day watching.
    Plenty of good racing around.

So...how many would watch if, instead of prepared race cars. the drivers showed up with no prepared race cars. The cars would be chosen by lottery from the fan's parking lots and any fan that relinquished his car for the race given a new car in exchange.

With all the regulations and makes of cars touting their safety features,(Safety belts, rollover protection, air bags, crush zones, side door protection, etc.) it shouldn't be any riskier than a prepared race car. Just give them time to slap a few sponsor decals on...draw for starting positions...drop the green flag and go! Any car having an airbag deployment would be instantly disqualified. I'll bet it would be cheaper than the money currently spent to field a race car too!

Now that's a race I would watch!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

So they are going to have restrictors for all tracks now? If I read that right. So all the tracks can provide the excitement that Daytona and Talledega do (not).

I say instead of making the cars slower make the banking flatter.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Fixing NASCAR is easy - change one thing in the formula.... Just one.

(1) Back to 6" wide tires of a hard compound
    (2) Stock sheet metal - not this massaged stuff
    (3) Stock head designs, not these custom machined heads
    (4) Pump gas, not racing gas

Give me the days of King Richard, Donnie Allison, and Cale Yarborough. Toss some greats like Andretti, Donahue, and Foyt in the mix for flavor. Stir gently, and let the best racer win!

I enjoy the Race of gentlemen. Old cars, on the sand, cute girls dropping the starter flag, everybody having a good time.

Fixing NASCAR is easy - change one thing in the formula.... Just one.

(1) Back to 6" wide tires of a hard compound
    (2) Stock sheet metal - not this massaged stuff
    (3) Stock head designs, not these custom machined heads
    (4) Pump gas, not racing gas

Give me the days of King Richard, Donnie Allison, and Cale Yarborough. Toss some greats like Andretti, Donahue, and Foyt in the mix for flavor. Stir gently, and let the best racer win!
    That looks like four!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

That looks like four!
    So, pick one! If that doesn't work, pick another. Change one thing at a time until NASCAR is again good racing.