Thread: dash

Commander Member

dash

I have a question on the speedometer and guage sections of the 55 President coupe I am working on. I have the parts manuals, and my dash looks like what is shown in figure 17-1. The outer glass on the speedometer is in place, and sitting inside on the bottom is the stud & a fibre washer that held the arrow shaped trim piece to the glass. In the glove box is the chrome arrow and a rubber washer that fits in the lowered section on the back of the chrome arrow. On the back side of the arrow is the number 421563, which is probably a casting number and doesn't mean anything, as it doesn't match part numbers in the manual. Figure 17-1 shows a button that seems to go on the arrow, but I don't have this, and don't see any way it could attach. I don't see a diagram for C/K in the manual unless it is somewhere in another section.
    The outer glass on the guage side is broken, and the arrow is long gone. Are the parts I listed above a complete set for the speedo side? Does anyone know where I could get arrow and stud that I need for the guage side, or does someone have one I could buy? I assume a glass shop can cut the glass I need [although I don't know how they make the center hole], and I can make fibre washer and rubber washer. Thanks.

So, for 6H Presidents ONLY, you need the 1702-9-2 >536871 Pylon (Blade) and the >536872 Stud.
    Since this "Stud" is a No. 6-32 X 7/16 STUD, I do not know but, it is likely that the Pylon screws on.

Only the 16G Champions and 16G8 Commanders get the Button: 1702-9-1 >536869, the >536870 Rubber Washer and the >1651X7 Wave (Spring) Washer for the Button.

The Picture 17-1 is Generic for all models.

All of these parts are the same for Both the Instrument Cluster and the Speedometer of 1955's.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-02-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Commander Member
    The stud must screw into the pylon from the inner side of the glass, but there is no screw hole on the outer end of the pylon for the button to attach. Since I don't have a button, I can't see any way it could attach.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clifford View Post
    The stud must screw into the pylon from the inner side of the glass, but there is no screw hole on the outer end of the pylon for the button to attach. Since I don't have a button, I can't see any way it could attach.
    From what Rich said, I do not think that you would have a "screw hole", but would rather have a threaded stud that the button screws onto. Perhaps your stud has been broken off.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Guys, Presidents have NO BUTTON!

Commander Member

dash

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Guys, Presidents have NO BUTTON!
    I figured that there was no button by the look of the pylon, so I just need a pylon & stud. Anyone have an extra, or know where I might get them? Thanks.

Commander Member
    I would buy the complete speedometer assembly or instrument cluster assembly in order to get the pylon & stud I need if someone has one to sell & doesn't want to sell the pylon & stud separately. Must be from a President, as others are different. Thanks. Clifford.

Commander Member
    100_1061.jpg100_1061.jpg100_1061.jpgpictures of pylon & stud I need. Thanks.