Contemplating Rear Spring Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Contemplating Rear Spring Replacement

My Sky Hawk, to ME, sets just about right. However the rear springs are flat and over bumps, the rear end jumps all over the place...rear shocks are new. I'm afraid if I replace the springs they will put the rear of the car way up in the air. Is this true, or am I worrying for no reason?...

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    My Sky Hawk, to ME, sets just about right. However the rear springs are flat and over bumps, the rear end jumps all over the place...rear shocks are new. I'm afraid if I replace the springs they will put the rear of the car way up in the air. Is this true, or am I worrying for no reason?...
    Jumps all over the place on bumps is what solid axle leaf spring cars do; just some worse than others.

Your springs most likely are not the problem. Since you have new shocks and you like the stance, consider:
    1. Replace the front and rear spring bushings. The good news is these are inexpensive. The bad news is it can be a huge PITA to get the old bushings out of the frame.
    2. Add a rear sway bar.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks, Jack...

Comment

never underestimate old springs and fatigue.... your ride height "may" seem fine due to the fact that they have all compressed and flattened out equally, but their ability to ride comfortably may be compromised....usually front rake is achieved by the heavier front end (V8) flattening out the coils.....

Comment

"PackardV8" is correct. If the spring/shackel bushings are worn out or not properly tight, the rear end will wallow all over the place and handling is horrid. In my opinion, the stock rear spring bushings are poorly designed when it come to keeping the axle located under the car.

Comment

One option would be to have your old springs re-arched. I just had that done for my '64 Avanti springs at a local spring shop. Only $25 per spring. They bring the springs back to their original arch spec. The re-arch won't last forever, but it will provide some additional useable life to your springs.
            Pete R
            Woodbridge, VA
            1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
            1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

Working...
            X