Champ tailight improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Champ tailight improvement

As many of you know I am currently repainting our 64 Champ , Anyway while removing the taillight lens I noticed the inside of the bucket was painted black. I am sure if I painted the bucket white or silver it would certainly make the lights more visible , Just a heads up to other Champ owners , Ed

I try to always line the taillite housing with aluminum foil, shiny side out, really helps. Luck Doofus

Comment

Also use the high intensity LED cluster bulbs which really smarten up the light output.
      From SuperBrightLeds.com

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
        Also use the high intensity LED cluster bulbs which really smarten up the light output.
        From SuperBrightLeds.com
        Can these be used without other modifications?
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

White paint is the best; much more reflective than silver, chrome or foil.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Definitely put something besides black in there. I've seen mostly Egg Shell color on the inside of the truck housings. Anything will help.

Most LED bulbs need an electronic flasher because the points type won't work on such a low draw. Some are built in now for older cars.. There are threads somewhere here about using the LED's

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
              From SuperBrightLeds.com
              I have this type in my Sky Hawk tail lights, with the Stock flasher...no problems. They're for motorcycle tail lights. And bright white paint DOES reflect more light than anything else...

Comment

No mods are required to operate these LED bulbs. I guess that is a bit of a misnomer since it is not a bulb but a series of L.E.D. (light emitting diode)
                The company (SuperbrightLeds.com) also has an excellent tech department if you have any inquiries about LED's.
                Regards,
                Mark

Comment

For LED, isn't the recommendation to get ones that shine red for the tail lights? I remember seeing somewhere that the whites will make the light appear pink instead of red - or maybe there is a difference between plastic and glass tail light lenses...

Comment

what is the stock number?

Comment

Is the lamp housing on the truck deep enough to accept the bulb pictured?
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I went to their website and the bulb pictured above appears to be this one: 1157 LED Bulb - Dual Function 18 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Bulb

Is this correct?

I just ordered a pair of these for the taillights on my '61 Champ truck. It appears the same bulb is used in the front turn signals. I am curious how these will look and work. Stay tuned.
                        Last edited by Commander Eddie; 02-01-2019, 08:26 AM.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

yes please post your results , Thanks Ed

Comment

They show 1157-R18-T-2PK RED Led's, 2 for $11.90 They also have the 27 LED ones.

They do also recommend the Load Resister Kit RL-650-K for $4.95.

I am guessing that would only be needed, if you run LED's Front and Rear, which IMHO is never needed!

Red would be the way to go for Tail Lights.

They won't tell you the important Length Measurement of the "Bulb" portion, but you can figure it out. The Total Length is 1.64 and the Base is .74, so it is .90
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-02-2019, 02:55 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The new bulbs arrived and I installed them this afternoon. They fit right in and worked great. I put the original incandescent bulbs in the truck just in case but I am very pleased with how bright the new LED bulbs are. And they were not all that expensive - $16.59 including shipping for a 2 pack.
                              Ed Sallia
                              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                              X