Thread: Stay warm out there!

Stay warm out there!

Big cold snap in the upper midwest. -25F here now and expected to get to -34F tonight. I think this is 1st time to hit -30F in this area in at least 8yrs maybe longer. Weather man was just saying the windchill is -57F right now, coldest since 1948 here. It sure feels cold out there!

I am expecting to work remote from home the next 2 days of -30F mornings. ASSuming the car starts even with block heater, I am more worried it starts at the office to go home later. Tonight it was almost hit or miss at -24F and I had run the car about 20min over lunch as a precaution.

Battery is 3yrs old but does not seem too perky...

There is a town called Embarrass that is near the iron range, north of Duluth, MN that always seems to catch the extra cold and their forecast for tomorrow is -41F. I looked earlier today and revised warmer now compared to -46 before.

Fun facts about -40 or so...

-40F = -40C

Boiling point of propane is -42C or -43F. You could have a open container of it setting out at those temps. This is a real problem for someone using propane for vehicle fuel or heating as it won't vaporize or only at low pressure.

Jeff in ND

It is currently -25F here as well in the center of Minnesota. I've been filling my wood boiler with wood just once each day this winter, but I will need to fill it twice tomorrow with oak to ensure that it maintains heat.
    If the pair of Sequoia trees I planted last spring can survive this cold, then it proves they can grow in a cold climate.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Commander Member
    Is there any way you fellows can KEEP your weather and not send it over to Green Bay....we have enough. We will be the warm spot with a forecast of -20 (with no wind chill factor) for tonight. We over look Lake Michigan, with the wind off the bay I have snow drifted half way up the picture windows on the bay side of the house. Sherm / Green Bay

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firestoper 25 View Post
    Is there any way you fellows can KEEP your weather and not send it over to Green Bay....we have enough. We will be the warm spot with a forecast of -20 (with no wind chill factor) for tonight. We over look Lake Michigan, with the wind off the bay I have snow drifted half way up the picture windows on the bay side of the house. Sherm / Green Bay
    I grew up in Marshfield. I see it is going to be -30F there tomorrow. I remember some cold days, but not THAT cold. I don't ever remember missing school due to cold (1st-8th grade)....but I'll bet school is out on Wednesday.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Yahhhhh! How thick are the walls in your house?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    I grew up in Marshfield. I see it is going to be -30F there tomorrow. I remember some cold days, but not THAT cold. I don't ever remember missing school due to cold (1st-8th grade)....but I'll bet school is out on Wednesday.
    I attended school when I lived in both Winnipeg and Edmonton; both places known for notoriously cold winters where the thermometer would dip to -40°F several mornings in Jan.-Feb. NEVER did schools close because of 'extreme cold' back then!

Craig

President Member
    48 degrees at 6am with a high of 73 degrees today.

Guest where?

Silver Hawk Member
    When I was MUCH younger (working for the US Navy) I spent three months living in a plywood hut built on the ice near the North Pole, spending 6-8 hours every day working outside on the sea ice several miles from camp. Most days it was around -10 to -20F, but there were stretches of several days when it got colder. One thing that stuck with me was the 30-30-30 rule. At -30F and a 30 knot wind, exposed flesh will be permanently damaged (frostbitten) in 30 seconds. Fortunately, in the Arctic, high winds are usually accompanied by somewhat warmer temperatures. Days with temps below -20 were normally calm and clear.

I had -31 this morning. Schools are closed, the US postal service is closed, and many coworkers did not arrive for work today. Aside from that, it looks beautiful outside with the clear blue sky and the bright white snow covered landscape.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Quote Originally Posted by Milaca View Post
    Aside from that, it looks beautiful outside with the clear blue sky and the bright white snow covered landscape.
    Such deception! Just keep your tongue of the iron handrail!!

Craig

Blog Entries

I wouldn't if I were you!
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Commander Member
    8" thick on the bay side and 6" thick on the road side of the place (we built it for three years and have been in it for almost two years now. I also keep several full sheets of green treat 3/4" plywood and big heavy industrial blankets for blown out windows and glass doors. But the sun sets ARE worth every bit of the prep and readiness. When the 1000' lake boats steam by it is fun radio talking to them. Then the caught-out-front white fish when pickled are an outstanding local treat. Shivering Sherm / Green Bay

Speaking of thick walls. I bought a house 2 yrs ago in Heber Springs, AR. It was built in 1990. It has 6" Stud Walls with a full wrap of Brick. I was talking to a oldtime Builder and he said there was a push towards "Energy Efficiency" in the 80-90's in this area. No openings on the north side.
    Polar Vortex did not make it this far south.

-10 to -15 windchill in the Kentucky Bluegrass this morning. Schools were out and sadly, a politician in Frankfort said our kids are a bunch of wimps - but he didn't have to stand outside for 10 minutes waiting for his state vehicle to pick him up either...

Old friend from high school posted a photo of the door knob in her Chicago home with ice covering it - and it was the inside knob - no need to photo the outside one!

It's -29° this morning at Forest Lake, MN with a high today predicted at -4°. After the past week of this stuff I am acclimated now. Started feeling some sweating wearing 2 sets of socks, pants over sweat pants, t-shirt, heavy plaid shirt and heavy coat while walking around between the house, barn, garage and quonset visiting the Studebaker stuff. Heat wave on Saturday at +34°. A 60°± temperature swing! Break out the shorts it's a heat wave. That sound? It's the perpetual running of the furnace. Noticed no bargain get away flights in this past weekends newspaper (online version). Why do I still call the online version news-"paper?"
    Henry Votel,
    Forest Lake, MN
    Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

While the Polar Vortex stayed somewhat north of us (Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia), we still got pretty cold and had an unpleasant house experience today as a result. Yesterday we had a very strong west wind. I think we got down to zero late in the day, but my outside temperature sender blew off its hanger and took a dive into the snow where it stopped reading at 18.5 degrees F. Anyhow our five-year old house which we bought when it was one year old is supposed to be extremely energy efficient (six-inch walls, SEER-21 heat pump, nine-foot ceilings and extreme attic insulation. etc) and our electric bills reflect that. When we first moved in I had a whole house humidifier installed and it has kept the house at 45%. However, today when we got up we found water drops on the inside edge of much of the ceiling on the northwest side of the house. Our first reaction was that snow had melted and soaked back under the shingles and soaked the ceiling. However in wiping off the water it became apparent that the water was condensation, not leakage. Apparently the very strong, very cold wind came through the gable venting hard enough to chill the north edge of the ceiling. So I guess I'll have to keep the dehumidifier off when it gets cold.

When we closed on the property a house inspection was required. The inspector told me that the house was in his top five and the insulation was the best he had ever seen. Access to the attic is in the attached garage which has a pull-down ladder/stairs. The garage ceiling is a little over eleven feet and I have to move a car to pull down down the stair so I took the inspector's word and I have never been in the attic. Today I'm going to take my first look at the attic

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I don't think its been this cold here since I gutted the upstairs of my 1918 house in 2010 and 2011 and improved the insulation/attic vent/electrical wiring. There is only so much a person can do with old houses but my average heating costs for years prior to 2010 vs after 2011 was about 25% less after my efforts. How much can be attributed to some milder winters until now vs colder ones is hard to say. However, it is notably more comfortable upstairs winter AND summer after all that work so its more than just raw heating bills. I used to barely go upstairs and used it for storage mostly but now have my home office and bedroom up there. The one winter I slept up there prior to 2010 I had to use an electric blanket and still froze a few times.

This -30F weather it was perfectly acceptable upstairs.

In 2014 I excavated a trench around the foundation and put in some foam sheeting and aluminum flashing up under the siding and below grade to keep drafts out of the cellar and crawl space. That has also helped a lot with cold floors in the kitchen and bath. A side effect being no more huge black buzzing flies showing up in the house in June. The next thing I could do that would probably make a notable improvement is gut out the entryway/porch. There is no insulation under the floor and could be marginal in the walls and ceiling. The floor in there is freezing cold. I have borrowed a thermal camera from the lab at work and there is a heat leak in one area on the north wall I would like to fix.

Things are expected to warm up to the 30s this weekend for a 60 deg temp swing in a couple of days.

Jeff in ND

Speedster Member
    I built our home with 15" thick walls (double wall construction). It is nice and warm even at -50℉.

Dale Haggstrom, Fairbanks, Alaska

Have you heard anyone complaining about Global Warming? I take Warmer over Coldest any day.
    I was reading my Prestone Antifreeze bottle good to minus 35! What are you guys using up North?
    Last edited by daytonadave; 01-31-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Commander Member
    Oh boy, I went through that interior wall condensation during extreme cold and 50 mph winds on our new house and did I have a mess. In my semi heated unfinished full house attic, I had water puddling on the floor (from temp differences, inside VS outside walls) due to the heavy amount of condensation action. It turned out to be a defective outside make-up air sensor.....but what a mess.....everything stored in the space took a moisture hit. Lots of books, pictures, unused building materials, etc. had to be tossed out. I put in multiple local space humidity gauges and I keep a close eye on the readings during heavy weather. From what I found out it is unusual but when these new fingdangled computer heating/cooling systems do not shake hands the operating limits can cause all types of troubles. Sherm /Green Bay

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonadave View Post
    Have you heard anyone complaining about Global Warming?
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...arsher-winter/
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member
    Supposed to be in the 60's here this weekend....I hate a rapid warm up....everything in my shop will be soaked from the condensation.....