Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could drive any car in the world...

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie J. View Post
    My choice would be a 1937 Cord 812 Sportsman. Certainly an automobile that would deliver a unique and memorable driving experience. The automobile I have lusted for since the age 12 is the rare 1941 Graham Hollywood, have only spotted three on the road in 70 years.
    I used to see Hollywood Grahams on a regular basis. A body shop owner in Wappingers Falls, NY had four or five at the same time. One was stock that he regularly drove, one was made into a stock car racer and the others were for parts. This was in the 1960s (well within your 70 years stated)..
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    I don't know how anyone can point to one single car, but then again... I'm a little different then most on this forum, as my tastes go to cars that were built in the "Classic era." I guess that today it might have to be a Dobel, but that might change tomorrow. A neighbor and acquaintance, now deceased, had several of the fifty, or so, Dobels that were produced. I believe that one of his now resides in the collection of Jay Leno. If you have to ask why do the research.

I have a friend who recently retired as a Classic car dealer. At any one time he had a inventory of 30-40 Classics. One day we were sitting in a restaurant having lunch, when he mentioned that it was a strain on him to have to exercise all of the cars that he had. He was driving a mid 30's Packard that day. Half jokingly I said that I could help, by driving some of them for him, and I would even help with gas. Half jokingly he agreed, but it never really happened. His inventory is now gone, so now all he has is his personal collection of about 30 Classics, but I'm still available to help!

My choice would be a 1937 Cord 812 Sportsman. Certainly an automobile that would deliver a unique and memorable driving experience. The automobile I have lusted for since the age 12 is the rare 1941 Graham Hollywood, have only spotted three on the road in 70 years.
    Cord had a Lycoming flathead V8, pre-select gearbox with the stubby lever on the column and FWD

When Hupp acquired the body dies in 1940, both it and the 1941 Graham converted them to RWD and installed flathead 6's and 3 speed conventional trannies.

I thought the Hupp Skylark was nice looking, but I've only seen one and that was back when Tricky Dick was prez.

I've seen about a dozen Hollywood Grahams, there was a guy who lived near downtown L/A that had a backyard full of them. This was in the 1980's during one of my "alley crawling" expeditions.

Post#39: The Batmobile was originally the 1955 Lincoln Futura, a "Dream Car" displayed at auto shows. There was a Revell 1/25 scale model of it.

When Barris acquired it, it sat on his weedy parkway for years rusting away. Then the show came calling...

Post #42: It's Doble, not Dobel. Leno has one, it was featured on his (Jay Leno's Garage) TV show several years ago.
    Last edited by WinM1895; 02-02-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Just drove my son's Tesla Model 3. 0-60 in 3.1. Quiet, solid, handles like a go kart. I love the old cars. But this is the future. It ain't bad either!
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Regarding the Hupp Skylark's and Graham Hollywood's, I guess its a matter of where you live, or where there was an active dealership. The first one of these I ever encountered at age 12 was a pale yellow Hollywood For Sale on a tiny used car lot, 'King's Auto Sales' in the little farm community of McBain Michigan. Being with older fellows I got away with opening the 'suicide' door and sitting in it for as long as I could get away with it. Spotted it again about 8 years latter being driven in Lake City Michigan (about 10 miles North of McBain)
    The second one I saw was a gorgeous black show car that was on display at a car show in downtown Cadillac Michigan in the summer of 1964. And the latest, a yellow one (may have been the McBain one) parked on the street here in Owosso Michigan last fall.
    I do know of, and have had the opportunity of closely examining a 1936 Cord Beverly that has been stored in a garage for at least 40 years. Oh sure they ARE out there, but certainly are not at all commonly seen in this area.
    I only chose the 'Hollywood' because of its cool name. 'Skylark' just sounds like another Buick.
    Last edited by Jessie J.; 02-03-2019 at 02:33 AM.

I only chose the 'Hollywood' because of its cool name. 'Skylark' just sounds like another Buick.
    Doesn't 'Hollywood' sound like another Hudson?

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Doesn't 'Hollywood' sound like another Hudson?

Craig
    Yes, it does to me, because I had a friend that I went to college with and worked with that was a Hudson guy and his main Hudson was a Hollywood hardtop. He also had a 1964 Hawk that he bought new. By the early 1970s, here in NY, the Hawk was quite rusty. He bought all NOS steel panels and NOS interior for the car. Very shortly after that, he got divorced and moved to California. I never found out what happened to the Hawk or the NOS parts.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Sorry about the Doble spelling, I knew better too.

I agree with Dick Skeinkamp, I love everything about the Tesla. I chose to think about this thread as aspirational. I could drive a Tesla tomorrow, or I could have driven one yesterday. Don't misunderstand, it's great to be able to own, and drive the car, that you would most like to drive, but I don't dream about them the way I do some of the old cars. Paradoxically driving an old car, often doesn't mesh very well with the dream. In other words it doesn't meet with expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    I chose to think about this thread as aspirational.
    OK...I'd like to take a spin in Jim Clark's Lotus...

...or Jim Hall's Chaperell 2C

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    OK...I'd like to take a spin in Jim Clark's Lotus...
    Here you go. It's not the 49, but take a ride with Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzLJsxWSLTE

Quote Originally Posted by jnormanh View Post
    Here you go. It's not the 49, but take a ride with Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzLJsxWSLTE
    Thanks!
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    I like Jake's first choice, the TVR, I'll make it my first one too. I have driven a 3 wheel Morgan so for my second choice, a Morgan Aero-Max (in 1935, the 3 wheeled Super Sports was the top of the line so I'm keeping consistent here). Third choice, I'm torn between the original Lotus Elite and Lotus Europa...

Bizzarrini A3C - had a small block chev engine and trans, lost to the Ford GT40s at Lemans by a small margin, fielded by Bizzarrini on an engineer's salary competing with Ford's millions. He said it was the car the Ferrari 250GTO should have been - he designed them both. see on google images.
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Quote Originally Posted by 48skyliner View Post
    Bizzarrini A3C - had a small block chev engine and trans, lost to the Ford GT40s at Lemans by a small margin, fielded by Bizzarrini on an engineer's salary competing with Ford's millions. He said it was the car the Ferrari 250GTO should have been - he designed them both. see on google images.
    I posted a couple of Bizzarinis here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ni-P538-Spyder

Craig

President Member
    Jessie,
    Send me your regular email and I'll send you some pics which I can't seem to post here.
    Cheers, Bill

Dumb me forgot my email address: bsozzard@gmail.com

And can anyone explain why I don't have the option to post a pic from my computer?
    Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by Buzzard; 02-06-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post

And can anyone explain why I don't have the option to post a pic from my computer?
    Thanks, Bill
    Check the first sticky at the top of this forum, Bill.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Jessie,
    Send me your regular email and I'll send you some pics which I can't seem to post here.
    Cheers, Bill

Dumb me forgot my email address: bsozzard@gmail.com

Thanks, Bill
    Thanx Bill, Pictures arrived. Man how I'd love to roll up to my family and HS reunions in one of these.

President Member
    I don't have a picture but, the Rolls Royce Phantom would be the car I'd love to drive; big, quiet, smooth, luxurious. On the 'other side' of the cow farts, I'd enjoy a new Corvette with a 'regular' engine and stick shift somewhere in Montana in the Springtime.
    JimsLeadCommander

Quote Originally Posted by JimsLeadCommander View Post
    I don't have a picture but, the Rolls Royce Phantom would be the car I'd love to drive; big, quiet, smooth, luxurious. On the 'other side' of the cow farts, I'd enjoy a new Corvette with a 'regular' engine and stick shift somewhere in Montana in the Springtime.
    Need a picture. The Phantom could mean anything from this...

...to this...

And a whole lot of others in between.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA