Thread: Lunch Atop A Skyscraper: The Story Behind The 1932 Photo

President Member

Lunch Atop A Skyscraper: The Story Behind The 1932 Photo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QCYDzsQ_yM
    Last edited by Buzzard; 01-28-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: duplicate

President Member
    Having a bit of acrophobia myself, every time I see that photo, I get cold chills. Not for all the money in the world would I eat my lunch with those guys.

Those guys had ice water in their veins. It was very dangerous work and they were proud to be a part of it. It is shocking by today's standards but back then things were very different. Even using todays safety standards I imagine men die.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

They could make 'Walking the Beam' 85 stories in the air part of their mandatory drug testing procedure.

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    They could make 'Walking the Beam' 85 stories in the air part of their mandatory drug testing procedure.

Craig
    Do you mean that they would have to be on drugs in order to try it?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

hah hah!.......

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Do you mean that they would have to be on drugs in order to try it?
    You will have to have a little talk with your employer about that!

Craig

I looked it up. Only five workers died during the Empire state construction. By comparison tens of thousands died on panama canal.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I looked it up. Only five workers died during the Empire state construction. By comparison tens of thousands died on panama canal.
    Very few Mosquitos carrying malaria in New York. Closer to home there were also five fatalities during construction of the Mackinaw Bridge in the mid fifties.

I married into a family of ironworkers, in fact one was the business agent for Local 25 for many years. It was an interesting dynamic as my political and union views were 180 degrees from their's yet we were close friends, worked together on many family projects, vacationed together as families and just spent time together as friends. They were an interesting dynamic of fearless and empathetic as they cared deeply about their members.

Both left life much to early, not iron worker related, and I miss them dearly and think of them often.

Bob
    , ,

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    And back then, they immediately replaced the dead worker with a new hiree, and kept right on going!

There were no site lockdowns for a week for safety infractions, etc.

Craig

Life was much cheaper then. They did not even keep records on the Black islanders that worked on the canal, so the official estimate of 37,000 dead is probably way low.

I stayed out of college for a year and much of the time I was working with a construction company. The job I was involved in constructing barracks, two gymnasiums and a variety of other smaller buildings on Fort Bragg. The iron workers were some of the toughest guys on the job and also seemed to be the most fearless. When it came to working up high they were admired by most of the rest of us. The gyms were close to three stories high. I worked as a field engineer's helper. This means I had to hold the markers for him to view through the transit (remember this was a long time ago, nothing computerized then.). One day I was going to have to go up on top of the concrete beams that would be supporting the roof. I was jittery about going up there (the beams were only about half as wide as a sidewalk) and the guy I was working with understood that but he needed me to hold the markers for him to see so the beams would be true as far as location. One of the iron workers smiled at me and took the marking saying he would do it. He road a crane's hook to the top and skipped along the beam stopping were needed to mark things out. Later while we were still on the at particular job he was up there when an iron joist lifted up by a crane got blown around by a sudden gust of wind. It hit the guy I'm speaking of in the head, knocking off his hard hat. We all gasped as he dropped to his knees. His boss called him down,but he refuse keeping on directing the locating of the joists. As crazy as the guy seemed to be, I really admired him for his courage and still do.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Cool as a cucumber.

I needed to get on the roof of a building I had done drawings to remodel. It was an old gymnasium. I talked to the masonry contractor about climbing his scaffold one day to look at it. When I got there the scaffold was down.

The contractor offered to set me on the roof by riding on the crane's ball/hook. I imagine he was surprised that the Architect would do so but I grabbed the cable and locked my legs around the ball and rode it right up, looked around and then rode it back down.

I was not afraid because I trusted him completely. I would not have done it with a stranger.

Of course nothing compared to these guys!