Thread: Ignition Switch.

Speedster Member

Ignition Switch.

I had a challenge last Sat. My Hawk had been setting for a week and was a little hard to start it would start and start and die like it was cold. Started it and backed out of driveway and turned to leave and it died cranked and died cranked and died several times.Hooked up timing light and discovered no fire after the switch was release from the crank position. I hot wired to coil and the car started and ran, the switch was not flowing current in the run position to the coil. I have seen this symptom many times on cars that use a ballast resistor but I am running 12 volts straight from the ignition switch to the HEI dist that I have installed. In all my years I have never had an Iginition switch go bad.I guess 57 years is the life .
    FYI
    Hawkowner

President Member
    I had the same problem with the switch in my 63 Avanti a few years ago. The engine would start but die as soon as the switch went back into the run position. My initial thought was a bad ballast resistor, but after checking the hot side of the resistor there was no juice. The problem went away after I replaced the switch with another one. The newest of the original ignition switches in Studebakers are now over 50 years old and have been operated many thousands of times over their lives. I'm surprised most of the switches have lasted as long as they have. The switch in my 62 GT is the original and the one I used in the Avanti came out of something I parted out years ago so if they fail, I don't feel bad about the reliability of the switches. Bud

President Member
    With these older cars it is wise to carry a couple of lengths of wire with alligator clips for jumping ignition and head lights. I keep two sets wrapped up and handy, if not for me, for the other guy.

President Member
    Isn't it nice that they are so easily hot-wired!