Thread: Hey, buddy, how many Watts that thing got?

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Hey, buddy, how many Watts that thing got?

It's coming...and it won't have a Hemi in it!

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/elec...EB1C0D012E7712

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I'm not surprised that would be FCA's next step for the Challenger, and I bet the Mustang will follow suit with a hybrid powerplant.

Ferrari had the 'LaFerrari' and Porsche has its 918 Spyder, which are both hybrids with excellent 0-60 performance, and of course, way better fuel mileage.

Tesla's performance figures have been documented here before. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=ludicrous

Craig

Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Is it in Jay Leno's garage now?

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    A lot of people do not understand that a total electric car has all of its torque right away. When I first drove one, I noticed the difference. Probably, a lot of the people that criticize one have never driven one.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    A lot of people do not understand that a total electric car has all of its torque right away. When I first drove one, I noticed the difference. Probably, a lot of the people that criticize one have never driven one.
    Or ridden on an electric trolley bus. Even when they were full of rush hour commuters, they were impressively fast off the line (as in getting back into traffic after leaving a bus stop) and up hills, compared to their Diesel (mainly GMC) and gasoline/propane (Twin Coach) bretheren.

Craig

Blog Entries
    No doubt electric has impressive performance characteristics. It’s the battery problem in the charging time that are the issues, especially on a cross-country run
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by showbizkid View Post
    No doubt electric has impressive performance characteristics. It’s the battery problem in the charging time that are the issues, especially on a cross-country run
    I agree. I think that it would be great for the multitude of local runs that I do (two to 12 miles one way each, seven days per week). I can't imagine doing trips, like to Florida or South Bend.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Perhaps in the future, there will be a battery interchange service for electric automobiles. For example, when driving cross-country, you stop at a 'gas station' when your battery is low and replace it with a fully-charged battery (like an interchangeable battery pack used on a cordless drill). No need to await a battery recharge, just interchange and go.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Quote Originally Posted by Milaca View Post
    Perhaps in the future, there will be a battery interchange service for electric automobiles. For example, when driving cross-country, you stop at a 'gas station' when your battery is low and replace it with a fully-charged battery (like an interchangeable battery pack used on a cordless drill). No need to await a battery recharge, just interchange and go.
    Exchanging a battery pack in an electric car is a hell of a lot more involved than simply changing a battery on a cordless power tool or a flashlight!! Even an electric forklift with its incredibly heavy battery is a far easier swap than the full-length-of-the-car battery used in a Tesla, for example.

Count on just as much wait time to exchange it (or longer), as it would be to charge it!!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Exchanging a battery pack in an electric car is a hell of a lot more involved than simply changing a battery on a cordless power tool or a flashlight!! Even an electric forklift with its incredibly heavy battery is a far easier swap than the full-length-of-the-car battery used in a Tesla, for example.

Count on just as much wait time to exchange it (or longer), as it would be to charge it!!

Craig
    I am envisioning a future redesign of an electric automobile, with a battery-pack that would slide into either the front or the rear of the car. It would require a device/machine to remove and reinstall the heavy battery pack.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

No need to await a battery recharge, just interchange and go.
    This is the concept I remember hearing about. Pull into a service station over a closed pit. While you go in for a bathroom break, pit opens, old battery dropped out and new put in - plug and play. Real advances will be with battery longevity. Won’t be too long before someone figures out how to make every body panel and window into a solar panel. Or a way of harnessing the air a vehicle is speeding through to generate power.

Always important to remember that major innovations were thought of as being impossible before it happened...

Quote Originally Posted by 62champ View Post
    Won’t be too long before someone figures out how to make every body panel and window into a solar panel.
    They already have come close with the Sunraycer concepts running across the desert. http://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2...-car-1987.html

As far as production cars, the Fisker had a one-piece solar roof panel:

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    I am envisioning a future redesign of an electric automobile, with a battery-pack that would slide into either the front or the rear of the car. It would require a device/machine to remove and reinstall the heavy battery pack.
    This is okay for companies exchanging their own batteries. I would not be pleased with going in with a recent battery in good shape that just needs a charge and leaving with an old, worn out battery that has just been charged and may not last.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    This is okay for companies exchanging their own batteries. I would not be pleased with going in with a recent battery in good shape that just needs a charge and leaving with an old, worn out battery that has just been charged and may not last.
    EDIT: This reminds me of the days when there were some parking garages in NYC that would change your good engine for a worn out one while your car was parked in their facility. I know that it happened in NYC, probably also in other places.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

The car would either require a plug-in for a low-voltage powering device or a have small on-board reserve battery to maintain power to the ECU while the main battery is being exchanged. Otherwise all the memory and codes will be lost and have to be reset each time.

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    The car would either require a plug-in for a low-voltage powering device or a have small on-board reserve battery to maintain power to the ECU while the main battery is being exchanged. Otherwise all the memory and codes will be lost and have to be reset each time.

Craig
    I believe that they usually have a "regular" car battery for the "normal" things. The lithium batteries just power the motivation for the car.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Speedster Member
    If you've never been in a Tesla and felt the ludicrous speed mode, you don't have much of a frame of reference to how insanely fast electric cars can be. It's indescribable.