Thread: Oil filter part number assistance

Speedster Member

Oil filter part number assistance

51 Champion - I grabbed the wrong wrench and messed up the inlet elbow fitting while removing. The parts book lists the fitting as "520-04 Elbow, inlet pipe (filter end)." That number doesn't provide any reliable search results. Would anyone know where I could find the part or a cross-referenced number?
    IMG_2194.jpgIMG_2197.jpgIMG_2198.jpg

Thanks,
    Brett

If I am not mistaken just looking at these Pics, I think that is just an Ordinary Brass Elbow fitting a Good Auto Parts Store or maybe even a Hardware would have.
    It has very Standard thread size and I do not believe that is the "Restricter" Fitting with the Orifice approximately .040 to control the Oil Filter Inlet Volume. It looks TOO Large.

Is there another smaller restricted fitting in the Inlet or Case of the Fram Filter? Or maybe someone put one in the Outlet?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

As Rich said; it is a standard 1/8" NPT x 3/16 flare. These fittings are getting harder to find at chain auto parts stores, but the old "mom and pop" shops will usually have a good assortment of these. When you find them by a spare!

There really isn't a 'correct' wrench to remove the angle fitting shown. To remove them without damage, first install a blank pipe fitting in the female end. That will keep the side of the angle fitting from collapsing.

Silver Hawk Member
    Looking at the first picture, I am trying to decide if that hole is smaller than usual. Since it is listed as going on the input side of the oil filter, it seems like it should have a restrictor hole (I think about .045") in it. Can you find the real part number in your parts book? If it's a standard elbow, I might have a spare you can have. If it's the restrictor type, it'll take a bit of searching to find one.

Speedster Member
    I had to "make" an restrictor out of a carb jet soldered into fitting. The original lines were in rotten shape, had new ones made. Go a tip cleaner that measured .)45 and sorted through bunch of old jets, don't know if # on jet means size, was told its a flow #.

- - - Updated - - -

Measured .045..sorry.

Speedster Member
    Here is what I have from the parts book - that 520-04 is for the 10G. I tried to measure the holes - the first picture was 0.095 and the last one was about .100. There is no other "restrictor" that I could identify on the the other fittings.
    IMG_2200.jpgIMG_2199.jpg

I just realized what StudeRich was saying after looking at the zoomed in image of the part. The elbow on my canister was coming off of the side of the canister. This was how everything was set up before I dismantled it. Never seemed to have problems that I was aware of. The one in the parts book looks as if it's coming out of the bottom.
    IMG_2201.jpg
    Below are a couple of pictures of the fittings as they originally were.
    IMG_2204.jpgIMG_2205.jpg
    Last edited by Photoguy; 01-21-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Additional info

Silver Hawk Member
    When I asked for the part number, I thought I might have one filed under the OEM Stude part number. But I now realize that your parts book would have the pre-merger part numbers for general hardware items -- which I don't have. Anyway, by looking through a later parts book, I think what you need (post-merger number) is a G137420. If you send me your mailing address, I'll send you one for the postage. Alternatively, I agree with several of the above posts that any good old-timey FLAPS or a larger NAPA should have one -- though it might take a few minutes to look through all the little bins and drawers. Some older or larger stores still have those out where you can look through them your self. Take your old elbow with you.

Silver Hawk Member
    Fittings mailed last week. PM sent. Please respond.

Speedster Member
    Ended up using the G137420 fitting since it matched the closest to what was removed. I haven't been able to test yet due to the water pump issue I've mentioned on another thread. Thank you for the assistance. I did view on another vendor site that the G137420 part was a "restricted" fitting so we'll see
    IMG_2234.jpg

Silver Hawk Member
    Good, glad it worked. Am not an expert on Studebaker fitting part numbers, but the ones with a restricted hole size are not normally numbered as a part of a series (G137420, G137421, etc . . . ), which are just standard automotive hardware items. As I recall, the restricted nipples and elbows have a part number without a G.

The other reason I was bugging you was that I did not get the usual notification from Paypal that a payment had been received. I checked and see that it has. Sorry I doubted you.

President Member
    On early sixes the restricted fitting is on the oil pump.The factory installation used a copper line to the canister and the dealer installed systems had a long rubber line.The restricted fitting has to be on the inlet line to the filter , otherwise if you install a restrictor fitting on the outlet side of the filter you will pressurize the filter and the gasket on the lid will leak.The restrictor fitting prevents to much oil flow to the filter , which will reduce the oil pressure to the engine.If you have low oil pressure problems on a 6 cylinder , check the fitting on the oil pump or simply remove the fitting and temporarily install a 1/8" NPT pipe plug and see if your oil pressure comes up considerably.If it did make sure you install the correct restricted fitting with a .40" hole.The fittings available at any Flaps will not have the restrictor.You can also make a restricted fitting by using solder to fill the large hole and drill a .40" hole.I like the idea , to install an inverted flare nut temporarily to prevent the fitting from distorting while you tighten it with a wrench.
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-06-2019 at 06:50 AM.

President Member
    Just so everyone knows there are special sockets for removing those elbows, i have 2 from my ARNG fuel and electric shop days. Luck Doofus

President Member
    DSC00467.JPGI have 5 of those fittings in my stash and I thought thy were all the same.

NONE of those 5 look like Oil Filter "Restricter" Fittings, all TOO Large.

President Member
    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 8.30.05 PM.jpg
    Look at post#1
    There is the restrictor.

NOPE, Way TOO Large.