Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Mankind's transportation impact on bugs

  1. #1
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern IL, USA.
    Posts
    933

    Mankind's transportation impact on bugs

    The other post reminded me of something I've always been curious about. What impact have we humans had on the world's biology since we been mass killing bugs with our transportation devices since the 1850's? Before we figured out how to put a steam engine on wheels, we had nothing that would go fast enough to kill a flying insect. Now, we kill billions every day with our car windshields, trains, airplanes, etc.

    If man hadn't invented faster ways to travel (and the resulting splattering of bugs), would we have been taken over by the bugs by now?? What other creatures, who eat bugs, have we pushed into extinction because we kill so many?

    loosing sleep over the silliest things,
    Mike Sal

  2. #2
    President Member 345 DeSoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY/Port St.Lucie, FL
    Posts
    1,153
    I don't know about where YOU live, but where I do, the starlings have homed in on running up and down the shoulders of the road, and scarfing up dead bugs that cars have hit...

  3. #3
    Golden Hawk Member DEEPNHOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklet, GA, USA. Planet Earth
    Posts
    18,047
    We could not affect the human to bug percentage if we tried.
    80% of the living creatures on this planet are bugs.
    We are just lucky they let us live here....

    https://psep.cce.cornell.edu/Tutoria...e12/index.aspx

  4. #4
    Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Posts
    14,193
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    We could not affect the human to bug percentage if we tried.
    We are trying, and we are succeeding! (not so much with windshields, however)



    "Three-quarters of the world’s crops—including fruits, grains and nuts—depend on pollination, and the insects responsible are disappearing"

    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...op-crisis-738/

    "Between 1989 and 2016, according to a report published Wednesday in the journal PLOS One, the biomass of flying insects captured in these regions decreased by a seasonal average of 76 percent."

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3d4b8307ed98

    "A Growing Crisis: Insects are Disappearing — And Fast"

    https://www.triplepundit.com/2016/07...ppearing-fast/



    Disclaimer...I'm a beekeeper and prejudice.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

  5. #5
    Golden Hawk Member DEEPNHOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklet, GA, USA. Planet Earth
    Posts
    18,047
    Yes, we are messing up our food source by screwing up the bee's.
    But that means nothing to the bugs (including the bee's).
    They will be here long after we have been self exterminated.
    Follow the money.. Studies=money. Crisis = Money
    Bugs don't read. Bugs are bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    We are trying, and we are succeeding! (not so much with windshields, however)



    "Three-quarters of the world’s crops—including fruits, grains and nuts—depend on pollination, and the insects responsible are disappearing"

    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...op-crisis-738/

    "Between 1989 and 2016, according to a report published Wednesday in the journal PLOS One, the biomass of flying insects captured in these regions decreased by a seasonal average of 76 percent."

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3d4b8307ed98

    "A Growing Crisis: Insects are Disappearing — And Fast"

    https://www.triplepundit.com/2016/07...ppearing-fast/



    Disclaimer...I'm a beekeeper and prejudice.

  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Posts
    14,193
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Follow the money..
    I would agree but I would guess (remember I'm prejudice) that there is more money at stake at Monsanto, ADM, Dow, Dupont, Bayer, and corporate agriculture than in bug research. Just a guess.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

  7. #7
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bay City, Mi., USA.
    Posts
    7,265
    DowDupont for accuracy. I do believe that most corporations do better at hiring folks and developing new products when they earn a profit for their efforts.

    Bob
    , ,

  8. #8
    Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Posts
    14,193
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    DowDupont for accuracy. I do believe that most corporations do better at hiring folks and developing new products when they earn a profit for their efforts.

    Bob
    I would agree with that also. Not much profit in bug research.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

  9. #9
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Shorewood Illinois
    Posts
    1,479
    Since when do insects bounce off a windshield and end up on the side of the road as bird seed?

  10. #10
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    British Columbia & Arizona
    Posts
    2,385
    Sometimes you're the windshield
    Sometimes you're the bug

    Songwriters: Mark Knopfler

  11. #11
    President Member RadioRoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,910
    Another significant impact we have had on bugs is transporting them out of their native habitats and into other parts of the world that they could not normally reach by themselves. We have also done that with animals and plants - often/usually with dipterous results.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

    17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •