2 dead cylinders dead, after simple upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 2 dead cylinders dead, after simple upgrade

Fellas I hestitate to mention a problem like this, cause its so general, but here it goes

I have cylinders 4 & 7 as dead with a minor and small amount of popping out the exhaust

( I removed wires from cap one by one, and with 4 & 7 removed, and No change with engine
    operation/performance)

Parked the 56 commander wagon ( has later 259 V8, 1963 ) running fine with a 2 bbl carb ( w/ tarantula manifold )
    I swapped for a 4bbl carb/ AFB Manifold combo-- car was idle for 2 days

Did all labor gasgeting, cleaning adhesive, Slow and detailed
    I went to start-- then the problem

so i checked Fire order--fine
    swapped 4 & 7 plugs--- no change
    swapped 4 & 7 wires---no change
    replaced cap and rotor ---- ( its a Delco distributor with Pertronix)
    checked compression with standard tester--- good compression
    checked valve lash for tightness--- nothing too tight

No intake leak
    got spark
    got fuel

I still have yet to do a leak down test--- any keen insight will be appreciated --- I am stumped--4 & 7 should fire
    THANK U

Sounds to me like the 2 plug wires are bad. Put a meter on them and check for continuity or if you dont have a meter , change the wires and see if it makes a difference

Bob
    Bob
    Welland Ontario
    60 Lark Convertible
    64 Daytona
    sigpic
    "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Did you have any plug wires off since it last ran good? Perhaps you either damaged two wires or you have them crossed (to the incorrect plugs).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I did mention I had SWITCHED wires, not with each other, but with working other cylinder wires, and problem did not Move

Comment

That leaves the plugs them selves. Pull them, ground them and check for spark at the plug, not just the wire.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Recheck your firing order 1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2. I had a pair of wires crossed and it fooled me for days before I discovered it.

Comment

Yep fellas--- I did introduce a couple new plugs--no change
              and firing order has been done redone many times-- isn't this a good one

Comment

I also am pretty sure you also realize that the Dist. Rotation is COUNTERCLOCKWISE, Right?
                This one really has us all stumped. I don't like to question your expertise since I do not know you, BUT common sense tells me that ONE of your "Tests" has to be faulty, unless a Intake Gasket slipped and blocked several ports which you verified as "No Intake" Leaks, I see no reason why if there is Fuel, Air and Spark that we don't have Fire in #4 and #7!

How about that "New" Cap? Cracks, flaws, disconnects between the Plug Wire Terminals and the Rotor Terminals will do it.

That takes us back to Timing, you did not say that the Dist. was pulled in the process, since it last Ran, is that a possible "suspect"?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes counter clock I had guide pins for intake , which Held those gaskets as well
                  same problem before and after cap Distributor was not removed/ or , moved

I am gonna do a leak test next THANK YOU EVERYBODY --- AS USUAL YOU GUYS ARE GREAT

Comment

Oh!...the joys of owning a Classic Car! (Swear words and couple of beers required).
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

I suspect the new intake has a problem.

Comment

Been there done that! if your new manifold has had the secondary bores "hogged out" to fit the later carb you probably have a pin hole allowing a vacuum leak. my car would run fine till it needed to idle, then it would lose 2 cyls and idle on 6. this has happened twice with manifolds i modified for larger secondary carbs. Luck Doofus

Comment

A 'quick check' is to inspect it while its running when its completely dark, and one can see if there is arcing at the distributor or the plug wires.

Craig

Comment

Was the Pertronix part of the upgrade?
                            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

this chart might help.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X