PSA: Brake pad upgrade for those with Turner Disc Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: PSA: Brake pad upgrade for those with Turner Disc Brakes

I don't take any credit for this, I found the information in an old, long forgotten forum thread by Joe Hall. He recommended using EBC "Green Stuff" brake pads, and said that the difference in the way the car stopped was significant. I've never felt that Joe was one to exaggerate, so I ordered a set to use on my '51 Commander. I installed them this morning and drove the car home. The difference is night and day, Joe was right.

Not kidding.. In comparison to the way it stopped previously with Turner's supplied brake pads, it's like someone added a booster to the brake system. The EBC pads grab quicker, harder, and require MUCH less pedal effort to engage and stop the car. These pads turned the brake system into what I would expect a disc conversion to be.

EBC part number DP21146. Amazon has them for less than $50, though I'm sure they're available from other sources as well.

Just sharing the info for the rest of you that are running Turner front discs, I promise I'm not an EBC spokesman.

Agree. After trying several other pads (I bought the basic conversion kit from Jim Turner), I settled on the EBC "Green Stuff" pads. I've found the only issue I have is that I've been spoiled by modern power disk response and thought I wanted the same in my Hawk. After tooling around for a few miles, I find that I'm again used to the manual setup and all is good.

Comment

Brad Bez highly recommends the green stuff pads for stock studebaker dunlop disc brakes, I plan on trying some day
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Just an innocent question; does EBC make Green Stuff brake LININGS? I have the '54-'66 drum brakes on my '53 Commander and I am using 'modern' replacement linings. It stops OK, but requires more pedal pressure than I like. Thanks Howard
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder.When he originally posted about how good the pads were I wasn’t quite ready and I forgot where I saved the info.

Comment

If anyone is interested in a set of pads they are $45 on Amazon and about $84 everywhere else.I just ordered a set,not sure how long they will have them at that price.

Comment

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but for anyone still using the Dunlop/Girling OEM discs and calipers, I have found the Ferodo pads to be excellent particularly if you drive aggressively (faster). They are not cheap but not stopping in time isn't either.
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                They are not cheap but not stopping in time isn't either. Bill
                Excellent point of view. There should be no CASO thinking when it comes to brakes.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Hey gents, please see my comment on the Tec Talk board ref. Free disk brakes by Lou Van Anne dated 1/3/19 replies #7 is my affirmation of EBC products and my question about Jag XKE and Avanti rotors. Thanks Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089

Comment

I used the EBC Green brake pads on my Avanti, and they greatly improved braking over what other vendors sell for the Dunlop/Girling brake pads. The car has a firm, hard pedal and if needed, the brakes stop the car in less distance and with no fade after several multiple hard stops.
                    Lew Schucart
                    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X