Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Lights that come on that shouldn't

Hi Group,

Electrical matters in general are a mystery to me but how troublesome can replacing bulbs in the dash be?

Now when fog or headlights come on, the right turn signal bulb comes on solid. Turn signal is off.

I've also noticed my battery has gone tango uniform very quickly. What and how could something possibly be giving power to what shouldn't?

Thanks for any advice.

Jimbo
    -James

sounds like a ground problem to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster#201 View Post
      Hi Group,

Electrical matters in general are a mystery to me but how troublesome can replacing bulbs in the dash be?

Now when fog or headlights come on, the right turn signal bulb comes on solid. Turn signal is off.

I've also noticed my battery has gone tango uniform very quickly. What and how could something possibly be giving power to what shouldn't?

Thanks for any advice.

Jimbo
      James, have you rewired the dashboard, or is the wiring still the old, hardened original? If it's the old/original wires, just flexing them can cause the insulation to break and fall off.

If the battery is going TU, then there is something draining it. You can find it with a test light. Remove the ground battery terminal and place the light in series, between the battery and the cable. If it lights at all, there is current flowing and draining the battery.

You can then look at, disconnect things until the light goes out. When it goes out, you have found the culprit.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

This is where I would start, firstly the fog lights and head lights should be on different circuits and you should not be able to have both on at the same time, the head lights must be off before the fogs can come on. In many states this is the law. With head lights on check for even brilliance if there is a noticeable difference may indicate a ground issue. The same with the fogs. It is possible that one of the circuits is seeking a ground through the filament of the turn signal and energizing it. This may be just a start.

Comment

Actually fog lights can be on with low beam headlights. It is not permissible to have fog lights on with high beam headlamps in most places.

Does the right front turn signal come on with the headlamps/fog lamps? If so, check ground of this turn signal lamp.

Battery going dead, check glove box light and cigarette lighter.
          Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

I was under the opposite impression, it is illegal to drive with only Drive or Fog Lights on, so older Cars at least (maybe before Newer Fed. Reg.) were wired THROUGH the Headlight Switch, so you could only drive and light the Fogs when the Headlights were on.

Either way, you probably have No ground on one or both Fogs.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I actually did some research on the critical fog light wiring issue, and think I can answer the question. As we all know, fog lights were a common accessory in the 30s-50s. They were wired through a switch and fuse to any handy power source. Many states passed laws that required them to be wired so that the tail lamps came on when they were on. I know that because I actually checked on the law when I added some fog lights to a Chevy. The car passed inspection for a few years until the Feds got involved. The Department of Transportation was created in 1966 and began standardizing lighting and safety laws. They ruled in favor of Rich's post above: auxiliary lamps must be wired so they can only be used with the low beams (and tail lights) on. (As a result, my Chevy flunked a subsequent inspection and I had to go back and rewire my fog lamps.)
              Last edited by Skip Lackie; 01-13-2019, 10:53 AM.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                James, have you rewired the dashboard, or is the wiring still the old, hardened original? If it's the old/original wires, just flexing them can cause the insulation to break and fall off.

If the battery is going TU, then there is something draining it. You can find it with a test light. Remove the ground battery terminal and place the light in series, between the battery and the cable. If it lights at all, there is current flowing and draining the battery.

You can then look at, disconnect things until the light goes out. When it goes out, you have found the culprit.
                Thanks to *everyone* for the advice and pointers. For what it is worth...
                This is a new harness.
                I can't physically check but think I can have both fog and high-beam headlights on simultaneously -- the wiring is unmodified from the 1955 replica that it is.
                No glove box light and cigarette lighter is disconnected.

I'll start re-habbing the battery when I get the new charger tomorrow and take another look under the dash, checking all my work starting with ground to that right turn signal bulb, then the switches.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Jimbo
                -James

Comment

current is feeding back to turn sig. cicuit. Likely the socket itsself but coulbe anywhere along the line. Tracking could be tedious! Good Luck!!

Comment

Further on fog lights. I reviewed the B.C. Motor Act Regulations section 4.11 Fog Lights. Two fog lights may be mounted on the front and can display either a white or amber light. If atmospheric conditions are such that it is disadvantageous to have the head lights on you may have only the fog lights on simultaneously with the park, tail and license plate lights on. In this area in the days of heavy fog it was always disadvantageous to have the head lights on, however it was permissive and the regulation does not specify high or low beam. With the head lights on at night it was big wall of white out front and you could see nothing and the fog lights didn't help much either. Fortunately most of the heavy foggy days have past for the most part as industry has changed their ways and means.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                      Further on fog lights. I reviewed the B.C. Motor Act Regulations section 4.11 Fog Lights. Two fog lights may be mounted on the front and can display either a white or amber light. If atmospheric conditions are such that it is disadvantageous to have the head lights on you may have only the fog lights on simultaneously with the park, tail and license plate lights on. In this area in the days of heavy fog it was always disadvantageous to have the head lights on, however it was permissive and the regulation does not specify high or low beam. With the head lights on at night it was big wall of white out front and you could see nothing and the fog lights didn't help much either. Fortunately most of the heavy foggy days have past for the most part as industry has changed their ways and means.
                      That reg seems much more sensible to me than the current US reg.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X