Thread: Packard Hawk Sells At Mecum for $93,500

Packard Hawk Sells At Mecum for $93,500

Lot 58.1, a black PH, sold at Mecum for $93,500 this morning.

It's a beautiful car. I didn't understand the choice of engine paint color, and it always aggravates me that about 90% of these guys can't seem to get the front bumper properly aligned, but, no matter, if I'd been a rich guy with the money, I definitely would have been in the bidding for it.

Slide show of the car: https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-36...-packard-hawk/
    Last edited by hausdok; 01-12-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    ...and with the mandatory 10% Buyer's Premium, Mike; the new owner will write a check to Mecum for $102,850 before he gets the title! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Yep,

It's kind of weird. Have you ever noticed that with PHs things kind of work different? PH survivors consistently seem to be somewhere between $20k and $50K but the PH full restorations, even with numerous incorrect details, are selling for the big bucks? With most, it's the survivors that sell for the big bucks - or is it only at these nationwide televised auctions where that kind of freakishness occurs?
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Maybe...
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

I wouldn't keep the battery connected with that wiring job. Fully restored?
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

The wire wheels are from a 1962/63 Thunderbird Sports Roadster. The Hawk center emblem looks like a modified horn button.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    I wouldn't keep the battery connected with that wiring job. Fully restored?
    Good point, Brad...well, at least when that positive battery terminal end contacts the underside of that fiberglass hood, it won't start a fire. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That top post battery always bothered me. I've got a side post battery in my Sky Hawk...

Quote Originally Posted by hausdok View Post
    Lot 58.1, a black PH, sold at Mecum for $93,500 this morning.

It's a beautiful car. I didn't understand the choice of engine paint color, and it always aggravates me that about 90% of these guys can't seem to get the front bumper properly aligned, but, no matter, if I'd been a rich guy with the money, I definitely would have been in the bidding for it.

Slide show of the car: https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-36...-packard-hawk/
    The Mecum car is nice, but last summer our Potomac Chapter viewed a better one. We were invited to visit a very private collection in the ultra wealthy DC suburbs. The owner had about 20 cars, all big dollar and totally restored. One of his favorites is a '58 Packard Hawk that is nicer than the black car. We didn't see under the hood, but all his cars are totally accurate. The only deviation on the PH is that he installed Ford wire wheels too (but he has the original wheels and covers). He drives all his cars and he just liked the looks of the wire wheels on the PH. It is probably the least valuable car in his collection which includes a million dollar Mercedes, a '40 Buick woody that underwent a $400,000 restoration and other big cars from the '20s and '30s.

I have pictures of the PH, but unfortunately I can't post pictures in Stove Huggers.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

President Member
    Barrett Jackson Auction 1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible sold for $160,000, 1959 Buick Convertible for $150,000. 10 percent buyers premium for both cars. I thought that the $93,000 was a bit much for gussied up Studebaker but never thought I would see that kind of prices for a 1959 Buick Convertible or a 1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible

John S.
    Last edited by Packard53; 01-17-2019 at 09:48 PM.