6V Battery sizes/dimensions 51/53

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6V Battery sizes/dimensions 51/53

What are the 6V battery sizes/dimensions for a 51 Landcruiser and 53 Commander Starliner HT?
    Thanks guys.

There should be no need for dimensions, all Group 1, 6 Volt Batteries are very close to exactly the same, they are close to square.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe all 6 volt Studebakers used a group 1 battery. This was the most common battery size and was used in many vehicles, tractors and misc equipment. Here is a link giving standard battery sizes.

American iron, real old school
      With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
      With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
      With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
      The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
      I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        There should be no need for dimensions, all Group 1, 6 Volt Batteries are very close to exactly the same, they are close to square.
        I agree that they are Group 1, but do not agree that "...they are close to square." A Group 1 is 9 1/8 inches long and 7 1/8 inches wide. That is 28% longer than wide.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

7 vs 9, I call that close as Batteries go, it is THE most Square Battery I have ever seen.

The next 6 Volt size up, as used in all Ford Products and more, a Group 2 is very Rectangular.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            7 vs 9, I call that close as Batteries go, it is THE most Square Battery I have ever seen.

The next 6 Volt size up, as used in all Ford Products and more, a Group 2 is very Rectangular.
            There are many batteries that are more square, including 12 volt models that have six, instead of three, cells. I will give a few examples and not "type" out all of the dimensions, but just give the percentage of the length over width (as compared to 28% for a Group 1); 54 - 17%, 57 12%, 61 19%, 70 & 71 16%. The Group 61 is 7 9/16 X 6 3/8 inches.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I ordered a Group 1, hope it fits the tray and not too high for hood clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                I ordered a Group 1, hope it fits the tray and not too high for hood clearance.
                It should fit both of your cars (in the OP) perfectly, Tim. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, hope the 53 arrives with the battery hold down.

Comment

Thanks Bob, 'hope the 53 arrives with the battery hold down.
                    Me too! If not, they're readily available. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I checked the engine bay photo I have, battery hold down is there.

Comment

Older Buicks, Pontiacs and others had a long skinny 6 volt in the 50s, they were available all over then. That would be a 2E.

Comment

I checked the engine bay photo I have, battery hold down is there.
                          BP

Comment

Originally posted by kxet View Post
                            Older Buicks, Pontiacs and others had a long skinny 6 volt in the 50s, they were available all over then. That would be a 2E.
                            A 2E is 19 7/16 X 4 1/8.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                            X