Thread: How to safely buy a Stude long distance and transport?

Champion Member

How to safely buy a Stude long distance and transport?

I have been liking the entire history of Studebaker for a long time, I saw a GT hawk here in LA, years ago with the seller wanted ~5k, it was real nice, the price of them have gone up.

I am very very interested in the 63 Lark Cruiser, or if need be a 64, not too keen on the ones with chevy small blocks. Stude made flying fortress bomber engines in the war, so why would I want a Chevy?

to widen my selection I am looking out of state,

anyone here know how to buy without ebay a car so that the buyer is safe and the seller is safe?

thank you!

Speedster Member
    You should not have to go far to find a Stude. The western states seem to have plenty of rust free cars. Which is what you want.

My question has been how do you get the title?

Good luck

Question

So it appears that you will be happy with a '59 to '64 Lark or Lark Type with original Studebaker power, probably a V8 but prefer a '63 or '64?

And the number of Doors is not Super important?

These are quite a bit less money than C & K Coupes, Hardtops and Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
    /Cut/My question has been how do you get the title?
    Good luck
    Do you mean buying out of State (to Calif.)?
    If so, I thought everyone knew, you just show a signed and dated Title (picked up with the Car) with proof of Sale Price on it or include a Bill of Sale to ANY State Licensing Dept. and trade it for a New Title.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-10-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    So it appears that you will be happy with a '59 to '64 Lark or Lark Type with original Studebaker power, probably a V8 but prefer a '63 or '64?

And the number of Doors is not Super important?

These are quite a bit less money than C & K Coupes, Hardtops and Hawks.
    2 door 59-64
    4 door 63-64
    ac would be nice
    NO rust
    drums front ok
    automatic for sure
    god glass a must, no one replaces windshields for less than 1000.00

Silver Hawk Member
    Buying out of state will always have an element of risk. But if you have a SDC club member look it over for you before you buy, that is usually a reliable means of getting what you're expecting. They can then give their assessment of the cars condition, rust, paint, mechanicals etc. They may also be able to tell you if they feel its worth the asking price.
    Shipping can be a crap shoot also, but if you use a broker, you can often get a decent price and dependable service.
    As far as money is concerned, you can use a bank transfer, or use paypal if you don't mind paying a fee. Communicate via text messages or email. Those can be used in court.
    I've had very good luck dealing with Studebakers through the years. Decades of buying and selling and hundreds of cars. If you tell us what you're looking at, someone may be near enough to look at it quickly. Or someone may already know the car.
    Good luck.
    sals54

Speedster Member
    You can also check craigslist and Facebook marketplace for local deals.

Champion Member
    thanks do you have a link for facebook and for los angeles, it's slim pickin's for stude and you should see what they want for some rust buckets, they would never get it but what the heck?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by creegster View Post
    You can also check craigslist and Facebook marketplace for local deals.

thanks do you have a link for facebook and for los angeles, it's slim pickin's for stude and you should see what they want for some rust buckets, they would never get it but what the heck?

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sals54 View Post
    Buying out of state will always have an element of risk. But if you have a SDC club member look it over for you before you buy, that is usually a reliable means of getting what you're expecting. They can then give their assessment of the cars condition, rust, paint, mechanicals etc. They may also be able to tell you if they feel its worth the asking price.
    Shipping can be a crap shoot also, but if you use a broker, you can often get a decent price and dependable service.
    As far as money is concerned, you can use a bank transfer, or use paypal if you don't mind paying a fee. Communicate via text messages or email. Those can be used in court.
    I've had very good luck dealing with Studebakers through the years. Decades of buying and selling and hundreds of cars. If you tell us what you're looking at, someone may be near enough to look at it quickly. Or someone may already know the car.
    Good luck.
    did a little research on shipping, i have sold some vehicles on ebay ( a delorean for one) and it's doable, but that is ebay and there are protective measure in going thru that system, but to hand over cash equivalent to someone without escrow is a bit concerning.

and frankly bu the time anything goes to court , i have already gone insane,

my ideal budget it 4-7.5k and i have seen some asking for that, is that a pipedream?

Quote Originally Posted by mw2013 View Post

my ideal budget it 4-7.5k and i have seen some asking for that, is that a pipedream?
    Not at all. You should find plenty of solid, running, and relatively rust-free Larks and Lark types in that range. In fact, there always seems to be several for sale at reasonable prices in the Pacific northwest. Watch Craigslist, Bring a trailer, eBay, and especially the For Sale section on this forum for deals.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeNewby View Post
    Not at all. You should find plenty of solid, running, and relatively rust-free Larks and Lark types in that range. In fact, there always seems to be several for sale at reasonable prices in the Pacific northwest. Watch Craigslist, Bring a trailer, eBay, and especially the For Sale section on this forum for deals.
    thank you very much

Speedster Member
    Search here
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ry=Studebakers

I see 9 vehicles in the LA/OC area.

Craigslist shows 3-4 cars. Happy hunting!

Silver Hawk Member
    Try https://www.searchtempest.com to search craigslist as far as you want to travel to find a car. It does the search in one screen.

Bob
    , ,

Speedster Member
    And I just found a guy who has parts here in LA- sweet!
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...790813455.html

mw2013,

How do you do it? You hire an intermediary to birddog the car, negotiate purchase price with the seller, inspect the car, pay for the car, pick it up and bring it to you.

Cost will vary, depending on complexity of the deal. If your birdog has to get on a plane to go inspect the car, the cost of that roundtrip gets added to the fee. If he has to stay overnight at a motel, the price of the motel is added to the fee. If he only has to drive a few hundred miles, inspect the car, pay for the car in cash, load it up and hault it to you, it's gas, tolls, meals added to the fee.

You're looking for a 63 - 65 model? Right now for sale in North America there are:

Two (2) '64 4-door Commander V8s priced at $600 and $4,200

Seven (7) '64 4-door Cruiser V8s priced at $1,500, $2,800, $4,500, $6,495, $6,500, $7,500, $12,000

One (1) '64 4-door Daytona V8 priced at $5800

One (1) '64 2-door Daytona V8, but you wouldn't want it because it's got a Chevy engine

One (1) '65 Wagonaire V8 priced at $7800

One (1) '65 2-door Commander V8 priced at $7,000

One (1) '65 4-door Commander V8 priced at $1,500

Two (2) '65 -4-door Cruiser V8s each priced at $1,500 but one of them you wouldn't want because it's equipped with a Chevy 283.
    Last edited by hausdok; 01-10-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hausdok View Post
    mw2013,

How do you do it? You hire an intermediary to birddog the car, negotiate purchase price with the seller, inspect the car, pay for the car, pick it up and bring it to you.

Cost will vary, depending on complexity of the deal. If your birdog has to get on a plane to go inspect the car, the cost of that roundtrip gets added to the fee. If he has to stay overnight at a motel, the price of the motel is added to the fee. If he only has to drive a few hundred miles, inspect the car, pay for the car in cash, load it up and hault it to you, it's gas, tolls, meals added to the fee.

You're looking for a 63 - 65 model? Right now for sale in North America there are:

Two (2) '64 4-door Commander V8s priced at $600 and $4,200

Six (6) '64 4-door Cruiser V8s priced at $1,500, $2,800, $4,500, $6,500, $7,500, $12,000

One (1) '64 4-door Daytona V8 priced at $5800

One (1) '64 2-door Daytona V8, but you wouldn't want it because it's got a Chevy engine

One (1) '65 Wagonaire V8 priced at $7800

One (1) '65 2-door Commander V8 priced at $7,000

One (1) '65 4-door Commander V8 priced at $1,500

Two (2) '65 -4-door Cruiser V8s each priced at $1,500 but one of them you wouldn't want because it's equipped with a Chevy 283.

Thank you , that's a first, i read about CASO, i am not sure yet but i could be one of them in the making, but how did you see all these cars for sale?

are cruisers totl and are cammanders base models?

Make that seven '64 4 doors. Amended my post above.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Absolutely get an SDC member to check it out for you prior to purchase. I have bought 2 from the left coast. I got burned bad on the first one. The guy must have been a used car dealer from way back. His representation of the car was completely false but very skillful. I even found he had filled the engine with gear oil so it would maintain oil pressure and not smoke in the videos he sent me of the car running.

On the second car, Pat Dilling checked it out for me. It was exactly as Pat reported when it arrived. When Dad decided to do a frame off restoration we found some horrible work that had been done by a PO, but back then I would not have found it if I had done the inspection myself. I always thought the "1 inch of bondo" stories were just people telling lies until I dug into this car. If you have someone check it out for you, make sure they use a filler detector to determine how thick the mud is under that pretty paint.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

‚Äč

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdills View Post
    Absolutely get an SDC member to check it out for you prior to purchase. I have bought 2 from the left coast. I got burned bad on the first one. The guy must have been a used car dealer from way back. His representation of the car was completely false but very skillful. I even found he had filled the engine with gear oil so it would maintain oil pressure and not smoke in the videos he sent me of the car running.

On the second car, Pat Dilling checked it out for me. It was exactly as Pat reported when it arrived. When Dad decided to do a frame off restoration we found some horrible work that had been done by a PO, but back then I would not have found it if I had done the inspection myself. I always thought the "1 inch of bondo" stories were just people telling lies until I dug into this car. If you have someone check it out for you, make sure they use a filler detector to determine how thick the mud is under that pretty paint.
    thanks , i really want to avoid getting ripped off, hence starting this conversation, my concern really is paying for the car and not getting the car, first and foremost, second is the accurate representation of the car or rather misrepresentations

i guess you have been here long enough to know who is who and who is willing to do some dirty work, do they do it out of love? or is there compensation?, and can you trust yet another person you don't know, or even if he or she is competent enough to "inspect" any vehicle?

Champion Member
    i am interested in a car owned by Lanny Mcnaab in TN, he is the southeast national board of directors, anyone know this gentleman?

closed by and would like to do me a favor? an check it out?

Commander Member
    I know buying a car sight unseen can be difficult but I have purchased two listed on Ebay over the last seven years and both worked out just fine. If you can find someone to look the vehicle over that is best. I ended up looking over many pictures and talking to the owners to make my decisions. I was fortunate to find a couple other people in the hobby that were honest sellers.

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zbutch View Post
    I know buying a car sight unseen can be difficult but I have purchased two listed on Ebay over the last seven years and both worked out just fine. If you can find someone to look the vehicle over that is best. I ended up looking over many pictures and talking to the owners to make my decisions. I was fortunate to find a couple other people in the hobby that were honest sellers.
    i have sold cars on ebay and the seller feedback system helps and so does the buyer protection, and even pay pal 6 month no interest is available, but some Studes have owners that don't play ebay, I think I have to go with my gut, but to hand out a check and hope for the best is a bit scary, worse that getting a rust bucket