Thread: Electric choke for Carter WE

Speedster Member

Electric choke for Carter WE

Has anyone found an electric choke cover from a later model carb that would fit a Carter WE in place of the stock choke cover that uses exhaust heat to open the choke plate? The bakelite cover on the WE looks just like the ones I remember on Carter AFBs, but I don't have an AFB around to check. The choke cover on the WE--the black bakelite part with the coil spring in it--has a diameter of 2-1/8 inches. It seems like Carter would want to be able to use the same parts for as many applications as possible to help keep costs down. But maybe not. Has any club member made this conversion before? Or does anyone know of any other carbs around with 2-1/8 inch electric choke covers so I'll know what I should be looking for? Thanks.

President Member
    I have a WE on the shelf and a spare AFB electric choke cover. When I get out to the garage today, I'll check to see if the AFB cover will work on the WE. I'll let you know what I find. Bud

President Member
    I checked the WE that I have on the shelf and the electric choke cover for an AFB does fit, but the bi metallic spring in the cover has to be flipped over in order it to work correctly as the choke on the AFB operates in the opposite direction. I buy the replacement choke covers for the AFB's from Allstate Carburetor in New York and their part number for the cover is EC1406. If I remember correctly, the price for the cover is 15 or 16 bucks. Also keep in mind that the replacement covers are meant for 12 volt use so they will not work in a 6 volt electrical system. Bud

Speedster Member
    Thanks Bud. That's exactly what I was hoping to find out. I didn't consider the spring uncoiling in the other direction, though. I haven't looked at my choke cover closely today, but I'm assuming from what you've said that the spring can be popped off its mount in the choke cover and be put back turned in the other direction. Is it actually as easy as that?

I've been going back and forth about the 6 or 12-volt issue with my '51 and recently realized that if I'm going to be able to have a/c I'm going to have to go to 12-volts anyway. And that will open up the possibility of other wonderful things like electric chokes. Thanks again.

President Member
    It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to flip the spring in the cover as it is just pressed in. Bud

Just for clarity, it is not a spring. It is a coiled bi-metallic strip.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member
    I used the term spring instead of bi metallic strip because most people will look at the strip and think it's a spring so that is the term I use to describe the part. Bud