Thread: Dual-groove water pump pulley

Speedster Member

Dual-groove water pump pulley

Is there such a thing as a two-groove water pump pulley that would fit a 169 flathead and take the stock width (wide) belts? Thanks.

I don't think so, the "Wide Belts" were before accessories like Power Steering and A/C were used.

Narrow belts were used later, I believe in about 1953, later yet in '55 they added a second narrow pulley and spacer to the 1st. on Power Steering Cars.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member

Dual-groove water pump pulley

That's what I was afraid of. I haven't taken the pulley off my engine to really research this, but would it be crazy to take two stock water pump pulleys, chuck one up in a lathe and cut the center out, then weld the remaining grooved portion right up against the front of the grooved portion of the other pulley. Naturally it would have to be done in a lathe to make everything true. What do you think; could this work? I'm looking for a way to drive an a/c compressor. A dual-groove pulley for the generator might be an easier way to go, but a water pump pulley would offer more flexibility as far as where to place the compressor. Any ideas?

President Member
    ONLY one way to find out. You can actually machine a new pulley on the lathe if you have to. it all depends on how well the welds hold. Take a look at the fan and how it's welded together. Sometimes they break, but it's only a spot weld that holds it.

President Member
    I'm going to be following this thread to learn from the answers. I'm doing the same on our Business Coupe. There have been photos of an A/C compressor on a Champion engine on this forum, but searches I have made can't locate them. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in that direction.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champ,
    \'50 Starlight Champ,
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Sounds like a trip to the local wrecking yard might be in order. Lots of trucks and cars used a dual groove water pump pulley. Seems like something would work even if it needed a spacer for alignment.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstude View Post
    Is there such a thing as a two-groove water pump pulley that would fit a 169 flathead and take the stock width (wide) belts? Thanks.
    59/60 factory A/C used a shallow pulley over the regular one on the water pump. It uses a spacer and a second pulley on the crank. Longer bolts are used on the crank. An idler on the mounting bracket is used to set belt tension. Look at the blow up picture in the 59 - 64 body parts catalog. A wanted add on the wanted part of the forum may turn up a complete setup. A similar setup was used on V8's. The other option is to turn pulleys on a lathe out of billet 6061T6 aluminum with two grooves.
    james r pepper

Silver Hawk Member
    Having done it all three ways, I'd spend a lot of time in the U-Pik yard before I'd make two pulleys from billet or weldment again.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 01-10-2019 at 03:20 PM.
    PackardV8

How about stacking two pulleys with a spacer in between them?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member
    I would like to see some pics. of what you are trying to do. What kind of compressor are you planing to use? You are going to have to make your own bracket to mount it anyway.

Speedster Member
    I'm leaning toward using a small radial compressor, probably a Sanden/Sankyo. Yes, the brackets will have to be fabricated, but I need to figure out the best way to drive the compressor first, since that will determine the mounting position of the compressor. As Radio Roy pointed out, there weren't any/many engine driven accessories in the flathead, wide fan belt era, making dual-groove pulleys pretty much non-existent. A dual-groove pulley on either the crank or the water pump would open up the possibility of mounting the compressor on either side of the engine. It has been done with a single belt to drive the generator, water pump and a/c compressor from the crank pulley, but that greatly decreases the contact area the belt has on some of the pulleys, and that's the reason I'm hoping to be able to add a second belt just for the a/c compressor. Any ideas?

Use the pulleys off a later post 53 engine. That way you can stack the narrow pulleys with a spacer between them, and also use a later multi-groove water pump pulley. The spacer is already factory made for power steering equipped cars. Or you can use the later AC cars cast iron dual groove pulley that also bolts on the lower hub.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by dstude View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. I haven't taken the pulley off my engine to really research this, but would it be crazy to take two stock water pump pulleys, chuck one up in a lathe and cut the center out, then weld the remaining grooved portion right up against the front of the grooved portion of the other pulley. Naturally it would have to be done in a lathe to make everything true. What do you think; could this work? I'm looking for a way to drive an a/c compressor. A dual-groove pulley for the generator might be an easier way to go, but a water pump pulley would offer more flexibility as far as where to place the compressor. Any ideas?
    Not crazy, it works very well. I did exactly that decades ago to make a three groove water pump pully for my '46 Chevy pickup.