COVER for Hole in Bell Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: COVER for Hole in Bell Housing

I have a 58 Packard with air-cooled Flight-O-Matic. On the right side of the bell housing, there is an approx. 3" x 4" hole. Is this an air passage to cool the convertor or ? It is currently open and un-covered, is this normal ?, or should there be a screen or metal cover over the opening ? If it requires a cover, does anyone have a part #, or have one to sell ? Thanks, Dave

There are 2 metal panels that go there. It is not air cooled without them, they divert the air. I have a pair, PM sent.
    Last edited by (S); 01-08-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Anyone have a picture ? I can't find a picture of the bell housing/cooling shields. The parts book only shows a rough idea. Does anyone have a picture they could post?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	img20190111_19023380.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1724903
        This is the best I could do with that, the Shield is Picture Number: 0230-16

It bolts to the same threaded 5/16" course holes in the Converter Housing as the Front Cover Plate.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-11-2019, 07:08 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dave- I remember posting a similar thread a few years ago. Those parts are deflectors (Group 0230-16 & 19) to keep engine oil lost from the rear main seal and muck out of the inside of the Bellhousing. I can't locate it but I swear I have seen a Service Bulletin on these parts and their fitting procedure (nothing really special.). I took a couple of photos- The red oval indicates the angular part 1544243 that goes along the bottom of the Bellhousing. The Green oval shows the side shield, part 1544249, and note that it doesn't actually cover the hole.
          SteveClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_135852.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1724909
          Last edited by Steve Winzar; 01-12-2019, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Looks like and easy build. Just a piece of tin with some holes in it.

Comment

58L J8 Guy- Parts are on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                58L J8 Guy- Parts are on the way.
                Thank you, Dave

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded and commented.
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X