Thread: Billett HEI Distributor From E Bay

Speedster Member

Billett HEI Distributor From E Bay

There have been several threads and comments posted about billett distributors for sale on e bay. I bought one and several other members had also purchased them.
    i was wondering if any one has had any drivability issues with this set up. I have a stumble at about 2000 rpm an light throttle after warming up.The engine runs good at highway speed. I have cleaned the carb.
    Not sure of the cam as it was in the car when purchased. What is the vacuum at I idle with a stock cam or an R1 Or R2 Cam?

So I have a new set of points for the stock distributor and was thinking of going back to the stock distributor and coil.
    I am wondering if the MSD pick up will fit I am thinking new distributor is a copy of a MSD .Any one tried it.
    Thanks
    Hawkowner.

President Member
    My HEI billet is firing and running fine. Static timing at 12 with 24 mechanical max. Has excellent response. Avanti R1. Stumbles usually are lean conditions from the carb. Check the pump shot enrichment.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

If this Engine is going to be, or was a Jet Thrust or Avanti Engine it should have a Dual Point Prestolite Dist.

Also, the Stock Performance Cams are all the same R1 AND R2.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    The engine was over hauled before I purchased the car so I was trying to determine if there was a difference in vacuum reading between a R! and a stock cam. No indication that it was and R1 .

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkowner View Post
    Not sure of the cam as it was in the car when purchased. What is the vacuum at I idle with a stock cam or an R1 Or R2 Cam?

The engine was over hauled before I purchased the car so I was trying to determine if there was a difference in vacuum reading between a R! and a stock cam. No indication that it was and R1 .
    Yes, there is a difference in idle vacuum.
    Yes, stock cam, R1 cam in dished piston engine, R1 cam in flat top piston engine, each will have slightly different idle vacuum.
    Yes, the initial ignition advance influences idle vacuum. Going beyond the "IGN" mark on the damper will usually increase idle vacuum, but can cause ping on hot days/hard pulls.
    Yes, a compression test will give more information.
    Yes, it's possible to use a timing tape to determine when the intake valve is opening, thus which cam you have.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Speedster Member
    Found My problem shop comeback I had left one of the pigtail wires with a bare end un secured.