mechanics u joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: mechanics u joints

Okay I'm really confused, mechanics U-joints have different front and rear? Okay here's the real question I'm putting a 64 transmission in my 63, and my 331 differential where spicer U joints. Will this work? Or what do I need to do
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

They are different front and rear because the rear joint is a “combination” joint - a mechanics style as it attaches to the drive shaft, and dimensionally the same as a spicer joint where it fits the rear axle. Thus the rear axle assembly doesn’t care which u-joint you are using, it will fit no matter which,

Comment

The Front Driveshaft Yoke that the U Joint must fit, is part of the Driveshaft, not the Trans. so swapping in a different year Trans. using the old driveshaft should not change anything.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks that now makes sense. I was thinking I would need a different yoke on the diff.
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

i went frm a 4 speed to a powershift
          Mark Riesch
          New Bern, NC

Comment

My "63 Hawk also has "Mechanics type" U-Joints (as opposed to the more common "Spicer" joint). As I recall the rear U-joint is different from the front due to the REAR NOT having the groove for the retaining snap ring in the two bearings at the rear yoke portion of the U-joint (as noted in one of the above comments) - The front joint has grooves in all four bearings.

ALSO - I'm am looking for a replacement driveshaft for my '63 Hawk with BW T10 four speed (It requires mechanics U-joints), preferably one located near coastal central California near San Luis Obispo, in order to keep shipping costs somewhat reasonable (shipping from the east coast is $50-60).
            Anyone have one available? Please PM if so.

Thanks as always for help,
            PaulTK

Comment

Working...
            X