Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a Crosley

President Member
    Powell started out wanting to make the "model T" of radios. Radios were expensive in those days. He got with some engineering students & they designed a radio that only needed 1 tube. They sold lots of them, but complaints started coming in that they were too weak & couldn't pick up stations from very far away. He thought that what his customers needed was a better station, not a better radio, so he started WLW & it was the most powerful station in the US (if not the world).

All of the competitor radio stations complained so the government made him turn the power down. During WW2, they had him turn the power back up so all of the radio free Europe and coded messages could be broadcast from Cincinnati to places around the world. He made so much money from that he branched out into cars, appliances & base ball teams.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    I had an older neighbor who owed a Crosley table radio from the early 1950's. Crosley radios were very popular at one time, and I believe Powel Crosley owned a radio station in Cincinnati before the war.

Craig
    Yes. Crosley owned WLW (700 AM), which for about five years in the 1930s was the most powerful radio station in the world, with a 500 kw transmitter -- at a time when other stations were limited to 50 kw. During that time, it could be heard by more than half the population of North America.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLW

A few additions. These might be duplicates, I found them on a British search engine:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C833660 - '48 Crosley PU - $10,500
    https://www.midwestclassiccar.com/in...tails/49055029 - '48 Crosley SW - $9,000
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C833669- '50 Crosley Hotshot Convertible - $15,500
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

President Member
    I had the opportunity of purchasing the remaining inventory of the Honolulu, Hawaii Crosley dealership many years ago. I did so for the express purpose of buying a 50-52 pickup. I never did find just the one I wanted, though. I sure would like to find one, as both the man (Powell Crosley) and the Crosley automobile have all ways stood out as truely American Icons....
    Bo

Here is a 1948 Crosley pickup for sale, in need of a full restoration for $1500, near Minneapolis, MN: https://classiccarsleftbehind.com/ca...ility-pickup/?

I have had a 1950 Crosley Super sedan for many years, though I have yet to restore it and get it back on the road. I have only got it running and got the original 4-wheel disc brakes to work again so that I can drive it around the yard. I had a new set of 4:80 x 12 boat trailer tires installed on it two years ago, so it should be fine for a few more decades. I don't intend to sell it, just sharing my madness.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

President Member
    When i was a kid we would go through Marion, Indiana on our way to Indianapolis. There were many Crosleys waiting for delivery at the factory.

President Member
    Too bad they didn't include a Crosley radio as standard equipment in their cars! What a marketing concept that would have been! (They could have got them at cost!) <G>
    Last edited by qsanford; 01-10-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Speedster Member
    8 volt battery would move this car quite a ways. Hybrid? ha ha.

President Member
    Ya, I was surprised to learn that both factories were located in Indiana (Richmond, then Marion). I had always assumed that they were made near Cincinnati since that's where the home office was.

President Member
    Going this Friday to look at a couple of cars (sedan and wagon). The father was a Crosley hoarder & now the son has to get rid of all that stuff. I'm sure all of the car clubs will be seeing more and more of this kind of thing as time goes on.
    Mike Sal

Mike, did you purchase a Crosley last Friday? Got any photos? Did he have any NOS parts?

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

President Member
    No, something came up at work which prevented me from taking Friday off. Then the weather went to crap. Then I was contacted by another guy who has what I'm really looking for....a 48 station wagon. So I decided to pass on the 50 sedan (which has a lost title). Now I'm just impatiently waiting for the weather to give us a little break so I can go to Kenosha, Wi to look at it. It is already road ready & the owner also has Kaisers, so it will be a fun trip, even if I don't wind up with the car. If anyone here lives around Kenosha, you've probably seen this Crosley....it has a big VFW badge on the side where they used it for a parade car.
    Mike Sal

President Member
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

President Member
    Hmmmm....why am I unable to post a photo here (from my computer)?

^ Stove huggers sub-forum has a slightly different picture posting policy.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sal View Post
    Hmmmm....why am I unable to post a photo here (from my computer)?
    As Dan said above, the pictures need to be hosted on a web based site not your computer. Imgur among others works well but what I've found after a few spits and sputters is Google Photos now also works well with my photos directly taken from my Android phone and stored in the Cloud.

Bob
    , ,