Thread: 1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan -Glass installation

President Member

1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan -Glass installation

I have a glass installation guy coming on Friday to install the front, rear and rear side glasses in my '57 Packard Clipper Wagon. Has any one any suggestions to make things go smoothly as I'm sure he has never even seen one of these before?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Cheers, Bill

Golden Hawk Member
    Lets hope that it isn't some young guy that has only glued windshields in.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

You might want to show He or She the Shop Manual instructions, especially the CORRECT Sealants to use, mostly Glass setting Clay at least on the Body.

The Roll-up Windows and Vent Windows on the other hand, are obviously a whole different project involving a Day's work on the Bench in their Shop, not your's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Thanks for the heads up Rich.
    I plan on reassembling the doors myself (all regulators are refurbished and painted) but am having them do the body glass. I'll let you guys know how things progress.
    This stretching the restoration over 6 years with being here only a few winter months at a time is a killer. Never again like this, my memory just isn't there to remember where I left off. You should see how many items I purchased twice!
    Bill

President Member
    It went off without a hitch, pics to follow.
    Bill

Happy to hear that it all went well. I know what you mean about the six years, and the memory. When you disassemble, you think that it will be easy to remember the basic items. Mine took four years, and I was sure wishing that I had taken more pictures, drawn crude diagrams, and labels things with tape. I got it done, and it sounds like you will, as well. Good luck, on your project!

President Member
    Awesome! I am facing the exact same project and am not looking foreward to it. It looks a little tougher than a "C" or a "K" (Some cretin smashed every window in the car)

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Rich.

This stretching the restoration over 6 years with being here only a few winter months at a time is a killer. Never again like this, my memory just isn't there to remember where I left off. You should see how many items I purchased twice!
    Bill
    Bill-
    I'll beat you easily on duplicate parts purchases. The restoration of my 3R6 has been ongoing for 40+ years and still not done (but getting close).