Thread: Oil gallery plugs

Oil gallery plugs

I'm putting this R2 back together. I guess I forgot to remove the 1/8" pipe plugs in the block and heads, but the shop did and returned them to me. These are the little suckers, not the two in front, one in back and one in the distributor tower.

They reinstalled the two plugs in each head (though I think one is for the oil pressure gauge line) and sent back six more. There are three at the back of the block, but where the heck do the other three go? Maybe they installed new plugs in the heads and sent me back those three?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Page 19 in the parts book section 0102-1 lists 6 plugs in the block. Memory says There is a hidden plug in the dist. hole and at least 1 behind a plug at the rear of the block.

See the repair manual for better location descriptions.
    Last edited by (S); 01-02-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Those are the big ones, but thanks. I have those in.These are the little boogers, and I need homes for three. I've not seen it in the shop manual or parts book. I'm wondering if the shop put four new ones in the heads when there should have been three, then gave me these three.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

It says 3 small ones, I'm looking at engine block, not heads. It lists the sizes.

OK, I have those thre 1/8" in. And there are four total already in the heads. Where do the remaining three go?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

President Member
    DSC00182.JPGDSC00184.JPGDSC00185.JPGDSC00186.JPGThere is a total of 6 - 1/8 pipe plug holes but only 5 are used. Two at the front of the left head and two at the rear of the right head but only one is used as the other is for the oil pressure gage. There are also two at the rear of the block just in front of the bellhousing there is also a 3/8 slot plug under the bellhousing that is covered when the bellhousing is in place. The one inside the distributor cavity is a 3/8 with a female hex drive, the 1/8 pipe plugs are 5/16 square drive. If you have 5 - 1/8 plugs in the engine with one open for the oil pressure gage, then the extra plugs they gave you are extras. I went through the same procedure the shop replaced all 5 plugs and threw the old 5 plugs back in the box so I had 5 extra plugs that I wasn't sure about either.

OK, thanks, that answers my question. Since the heads came back with both holes plugged in each one, they must be new plugs and then I was left with three that came from the heads, but given back to me
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Did you look at the heads of the plugs they installed?

It would be VERY rare Today to find Square Head 1/8" Pipe plugs like the Factory used and you show, TODAY they are usually recessed Alan Head or protruding Hex Head Plugs.

You will be removing the 1/8" Plug at the rear of the Right Head and maybe the one at the Front of the Left Head if you have a Partial Flow Oil filter, they should never have been there.

The only one you really need to worry about, is the one inside the Distributor Hole, the others can be reached after install except that screw slotted one in back, that you show.

And you can always just LOOK at all sides of the block for any open holes, no big deal.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-03-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

That one at the rear of the right head, hidden by the water passage cover plate and heater hose, right up against the firewall, on a Hawk is a bit...'er.., bear, to get to if you don't get it tight before installing the engine. Been there.