Thread: Brake push rod for 63 champ truck with turner conversion

Commander Member

Brake push rod for 63 champ truck with turner conversion

I recently installed the turner disc conv. On my 63 champ truck. I cut the push rod and drilled it on the end to add a button head Allen screw in order to make it slightly adjustable. After bleeding the system and master cyl. I applied the brakes and I have to pump the pedal two times to get adequate pedal pressure. Then have to pump periodically to keep pressure. I checked for leaks and there are none. The pedal does not lose pressure but once again has to be pumped twice to get it.
    Any ideas on what it might be? (Rod too short maybe) anyone know the replacement rod part number? Non power brakes.

Jeff

With my conversion I couldn't get a decent pedal until I bought and used a power bleeder (the type you pump up like a weed sprayer), also,it has been mentioned here that the front brakes should be connected to the rear m/c fitting.

I too had a heck of a time bleeding my 63 Champ when I installed the Turner kit. IDK why it is so hard or where the air gets trapped, but it is a chore.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

When this happens, I usually bleed the brakes backwards via the bleeder screws by using a large syringe. Never failed so far.
    Nice day to all.

Commander Member
    Thanks I will try bleeding them heavily. I'm also going to readjust the rear drum brakes. Brakes are so frustrating. I have a mighty vac pump.
    I appreciate the advice.

Commander Member
    Did you cut the push rod as turner suggests? He told me to cut it shorter and tap the center in order to install a mushroom head Allen bolt so it would be adjustable. Don't know if that helped or hurt.

Hi cigarcar62. I recently purchased the turner front disc conversion kit for my '64 Champ. My mechanic says I have to get new wheels since the instructions say that factory wheels will not clear the calipers. I haven't been able to get a hold of Jim or the guy that supposedly sells the correct wheels. What did you do? Do the new wheels have the clips for the factory moon hubcaps? Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by rranthon View Post
    Hi cigarcar62. I recently purchased the turner front disc conversion kit for my '64 Champ. My mechanic says I have to get new wheels since the instructions say that factory wheels will not clear the calipers. I haven't been able to get a hold of Jim or the guy that supposedly sells the correct wheels. What did you do? Do the new wheels have the clips for the factory moon hubcaps? Thanks for your time!
    Jim suggests 1/4" spacers. The studs in the rotors may or may not be long enough though.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Hey Ron, thanks for the scoop. The second I mentioned it to my mechanic, he said bring it and we'll take a shot at that method.