Thread: Shift rod adjusting gauge

Shift rod adjusting gauge

Looking for a transmission shift rod adjusting gauge J-1308. Or does anyone have another way to adjust the shift rods?

On some models you can take an Allen wrench of the appropriate size and slide it into the holes to lock the shifter in neutral position.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

I always use a 'helper' and have them shift the car while I inspect how all of the rods are moving. I look for sloppy 'Swivels' , missing washers, wave washers, wear in the arms, etc. Then start with one end and replace as necessary. I stock most of the swivels, rods and hardware, so having them ready also helps. You can ID what you need, before you take it apart. Adjustments come right back, or close to where they should be. Adjust until they all look good and work good. What vehicle/transmission are you working on?

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    On some models you can take an Allen wrench of the appropriate size and slide it into the holes to lock the shifter in neutral position.
    Yep, I use a 5mm on my 52.
    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

President Member
    I don't believe there is an aligning hole for the truck shift rod swivel box...is there ?? I just installed a replacement T86 in my 2R6 and am wondering if the shift rods will need adjustment, and /or the clutch pedal ???

Speedster Member
    I made a copy of the J-1308 tool. I could make some more if the demand is there.

JT

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I don't believe there is an aligning hole for the truck shift rod swivel box...is there ?? I just installed a replacement T86 in my 2R6 and am wondering if the shift rods will need adjustment, and /or the clutch pedal ???
    Yes, it's done by removing the little round plug/cover in the lower shift lever bracket. I ground down a piece of square wooden dowel to insert in that box to hold the levers in place.

I recently came across an original J-1308 transmission shift rod adjusting tool. I had a machinist friend make up a couple and have them for sale for $30 dollars each plus shipping. This just lets me recover my cost.
    See attached picture. The original is on the left and reproduction on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ellagee; 01-18-2019 at 01:59 PM.