R-series water pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: R-series water pumps

Why won't a 63-64 Avanti R-series water pump (Studebaker International part number 1560395) work on other R-series cars? Just put one on my R2 GT Hawk.........am I going to have problems?
    Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 12-16-2018, 08:00 PM.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

It is only the longer center hub that centers the Fan or Viscous drive unit that differs between the two.

If the long hub center protrusion does not interfere with whatever Viscous drive unit you have, AND it seats all the way into the deep hole centering the Viscous and the Fan, it should work.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Okay, the hub was to long....fan would not mount....so I added a wash to each bolt hole and remounted the fan.....it worked!How safe is my modification?....have I missed anything?
      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      It is only the longer center hub that centers the Fan or Viscous drive unit that differs between the two.

If the long hub center protrusion does not interfere with whatever Viscous drive unit you have, AND it seats all the way into the deep hole centering the Viscous and the Fan, it should work.
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

You MIGHT get away with it, if it does not wobble. I honestly do not know, I have never tried it.

The CENTER of the Hub is what centers it, the bolts are usually a sloppy fit, as they are not needed to center it.

Also, I don't think you mentioned if you are using the correct Viscous Drive Unit and Fan Blades or not.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-01-2019, 09:37 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've been able to drive her about 15 miles since.....so far, so good....hoping to make 50+ without something else going wrong....
          (Love is blind).
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Years ago, I bought a 6 blade fan, viscous drive setup from Dave Thibeault and adapted it to an Avanti Water pump on my 64 Hawk. Also had to use washers to elongate/adjust something. It works fine.
            Found that if you use stainless steel washers, they more uniform in thickness than the plain steel stuff. Use red Lok-Tite on the bolt threads also
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Speaking of water pumps on Avantis.........that is one of the nastiest jobs.........one really needs to have four hands....only one time did I replace the pump (by myself) on my Avanti........not a pleasant memory..............after that had an assistant hold up the fan while I attached the fasteners.

Comment

Hey Lou. I didn't miss the "Love is blind" comment. Hang in there, and stay in love. She'll come around.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Before the money runs out.....I hope!
                  Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                  Hey Lou. I didn't miss the "Love is blind" comment. Hang in there, and stay in love. She'll come around.
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                  X