Never drink-n-drive;-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never drink-n-drive;-(

1963 STUDEBAKER AVANTI, 63R1630. Learn more about this vehicle on Poctra.com.

I wonder what we know or could find out about that Avanti and wreck?? What, Who, Where, WHEN, I have no idea what or who Poctra is.

In New York ??

It is similar to Phil Brown's Avanti, but that happened in South Bend, IN.

That WAS a very nice condition R1 A/C 4 Speed, early '63 Avanti, the Interior, Engine and compartment are REALLY Nice.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Another one lost for good, most likely. Still, some salvageable parts to keep another one on the road somewhere.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It's in Moncton, NB.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

The good news is that the passenger cell and roof appear to still be intact...hopefully there were no serious injuries.

Comment

Back in the day some automotive "wags" quipped that the roll-bar was in reality nothing more than a thin roof reinforcement and in essence a "sales tool" Well take a good look at the pictures.....this car was a roll-over, and the front roof is clearly bent.....but from the center to the rear no damage, no human crushed skulls. I have a picture in my collection of an Avanti that rolled and split apart......but the rear section stayed intact.....all due to that "flimsy" thin roof "brace"

Comment

How do you come to the conclusion that the driver was drinking?
              Last edited by studegary; 12-13-2018, 07:23 PM.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I wonder what we know or could find out about that Avanti and wreck?? What, Who, Where, WHEN, I have no idea what or who Poctra is.
                Nice 1963 Avanti wrecked
                A very nice 1963 Avanti, R1630, was destroyed when rear-ended on Nova Scotia highway 101 in November 2016.

The car was the grand prize in the Keystone Chapter's annual raffle at the SDC International Meet in South Bend in 2002. Graham Gagné of Cook's Brook, Nova Scotia was the winner. (Graham was a founding member of the Atlantic Canada Chapter SDC in 1996, and has served as our editor ever since.)

Graham improved the car in many ways over the 12 years he and Katherine owned it. It was a very attractive beige colour. They drove it to many Chapter events.

In 2014, Graham sold the car as he has two other Studebakers. The new owner had long dreamed of owning an Avanti. Although aware of SDC and our Chapter, he chose not to join, so I do not have his name. He was seriously injured, having teeth knocked out and a broken leg. He credited the seat belt and roll bar with saving his life.

Last edited by Greenstude; 04-05-2017 at 08:07 PM.
                Bill Jarvis
                Bob Langer
                Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Thanks Bob, for the "Real Story".
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Still lots of good parts. Hope someone has the sense to get it out of the weather.

Comment

We discussed this car before.

Craig

Comment

There was an addendum
                        Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        How do you come to the conclusion that the driver was drinking?

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a Limb, wasn't Phil's Car an Avanti II

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

In New York ??

It is similar to Phil Brown's Avanti, but that happened in South Bend, IN.

That WAS a very nice condition R1 A/C 4 Speed, early '63 Avanti, the Interior, Engine and compartment are REALLY Nice.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                            I'm gonna go out on a Limb, wasn't Phil's Car an Avanti II
                            Yes, it was.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To add to post number 8 above, which quotes my earlier post: R1630 disappeared for almost a year --- certainly none of the Studebaker people in the Atlantic Canada Chapter knew what had become of it.

In October 2017, a member of our Chapter, Boyd Geddes of Moncton, New Brunswick, received a telephone call from a friend who is a car dealer in Amherst, Nova Scotia. The friend had been at an auction company's yard in Moncton where wrecked cars are sold for insurance companies. The friend said to Boyd, "There's a car going up for sale which looks like your Avanti." About a month later, the car arrived in Boyd's yard. He plans to use it for parts, as much of the drive train was not hurt.
                              Bill Jarvis

Comment

Working...
                              X