5 speed behind a Stude V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 5 speed behind a Stude V8

Fellas---- has anyone converted to a Ford mustang 5 speed or other 5 speed ( other than Tremic) f yes, what did it entail --? and approx general cost ?

Thank U

If you search for Studebaker 5 speed transmission you should find a number of posts. My brother has a T-5 from an S-10 pickup in his pickup because of the shifter location. The Mustang location is better for a car. You did not specify which you are working on.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

We need more information on what you have and what you are planning to do with it. If you have the tools and a place to work out of the Sun and weather. You can do it for as little as $300, then up to $3,000 for a TKO 600.

Comment

Did it on son's 63 R2. Got a adaptor kit from Fairborn Studebaker. Mustang T5. Put a Hurst shifter with stops. Modify the transmission tunnel and drive shaft.

Comment

So, for a T5 mustang trans, different flywheel ? bell housing ? drive line modify ?

Comment

Originally posted by 63looks59 View Post
            So, for a T5 mustang trans, different flywheel ? bell housing ? drive line modify ?
            Different pilot bearing. Comes with the adaptor kit. Same fly wheel, clutch, and bell housing. You did not say what year car. Need the later Studebaker V8 bell housing. Yes, drive line modify. Were running a 3:54 ratio rear end. Car launches good and with od cruises down the highway.

Comment

I put the 5 speed from an 86 Mustang in my 53 using a Don Gilbin adapter kit. It makes it a fun car to drive and I'm glad I did it. I had a single piece drive shaft made and the biggest problem with the entire project was making more clearance for the driveshaft in the floorboards up front. There was a bit of goofing around making a support for the transmission end of the clutch rod. The only problem I have with the Mustang transmission is the shifter is way back and comes up under the front of the bench seat. I cobbled up a shifter handle that goes around the seat that works just fine. I have the T5 out of an S10 and if I run out of things to do I may change out that tailshaft to move the shifter forward. Bill
              http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
              sigpic

Comment

If you have bucket seats the console will need modified a little for the shifter,about 1”.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkwd View Post
                  I put the 5 speed from an 86 Mustang in my 53 using a Don Gilbin adapter kit. It makes it a fun car to drive and I'm glad I did it. I had a single piece drive shaft made and the biggest problem with the entire project was making more clearance for the driveshaft in the floorboards up front. There was a bit of goofing around making a support for the transmission end of the clutch rod. The only problem I have with the Mustang transmission is the shifter is way back and comes up under the front of the bench seat. I cobbled up a shifter handle that goes around the seat that works just fine. I have the T5 out of an S10 and if I run out of things to do I may change out that tailshaft to move the shifter forward. Bill
                  Sir I am absolutely blown away by your skill and the end result.
                  I have to hang my head in shame with thoughts of just how "un-skilled" I am

Bravo!!

Comment

I found these available, while perusing the web. They may simplify the process, but I have no first hand experience with them.https://www.jegs.com/p/Quick-Time-Be...34609/10002/-1
                    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

That one is for a 6 speed. Quick Time has one for a 5 speed that is about $50 cheaper.

Comment

The Jegs bell housing is a bit spendy, but has a list of transmissions that includesthe Borg warner T-10. Maybe they only picture the six speed version.
                        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I put a Camaro one in a 66 Commander, used stock bell housing, drilled out the transmission ears, they were threaded, used stock, bell was threaded used them instead.
                          Used S10 shifter cover, everything else fell in place, oh yeah, used a 83 Mustang trans mount because I had it. Cost was around $800 all total (new clutch pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot shaft bush and flywheel.
                          Kenneth Smolecki

Comment

We used a Camaro T-5 hooked to the Chevy bolt-pattern GT Hawk bell-housing. We did the swap in the mid-90s. The same tranny is still in the car ('63 Avanti) even though the Stude V/8 was swapped for an LS3 a few years ago. There used to be a pilot bushing adapter readily available for using the Chevy input-shaft with the Stude crank, as well.

Comment

I wonder about the durability of the standard Mustang 5.0 T-5 behind a strong Studebaker V-8. Specifically, will it endure full throttle Drag strip type launches behind a NA 289? Anyone with hands on experience?
                              Don't want to do the swap and have to replace blown tranny's every month.

Comment

Working...
                              X