Growing older and too many studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    If they're outdoors in PA, I can't imagine they've survived too well. Salted roads when they were alive and grass and mud and snow and rain and sun while they're dead will just make them more dead.

Honestly Sal! I think your memory is getting as bad as mine!
    He said they're all in Pole buildings! If they have sides, then good dry storage. If not, then decent storage out of the weather. Likely they'll all be in decent shape. Wish I could walk around and drool on 'em.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Slight thread hijack:

I perfectly understand where lugamatic is coming from.

For what its worth, I also have a big collection (even more than lugamatic's) and after a lot of soul searching will be doing the same as him. I have been an SDC member for ~45 years, and have served as Chapter President (and other roles) for the Ontario Chapter. My dad was the first chapter President. The collection was primarily assembled from 1965 to 1975.

Like lugamatic, I am not in a hurry to give stuff away. Most have been stored in barns for many years, but I have had some roof damage. Close to $200K was spent many years ago on barns to keep them in better condition. It would be nice to recover some of that money. However, some cars were in poor condition when rescued, and have not gotten better.

I have not done a complete inventory. (Most are complete cars, with many NOS parts stashed in applicable trunks).

I understand why people want to be curious, walk around, and take pictures, but I am a private person and I don't want hoards of people hanging around. I have also had kids shoot out windows and headlights when they were outside. (about 15 CK windshields for example.)

I was disappointed with another thread on cores: who is collecting cores? (almost no one). Values of cores? (almost nothing).

I have put my name and contact information in the soon to be released March 2019 vendor information issue. Since I'm in Canada, not much will be happening for a few months. (SNOW!) Look for me in TW, and if you have any cars or parts needs, let me know - sooner than later. Some stuff has to go!!.

Paul 'PaulStudeParts@gmail.com'

Comment

I appreciate those of you that have saved/collected Studebakers all of these years. Without your efforts, they would have been scrapped decades ago, thus leaving few project cars or parts cars for the present and future.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post

Honestly Sal! I think your memory is getting as bad as mine!
          He said they're all in Pole buildings! If they have sides, then good dry storage. If not, then decent storage out of the weather. Likely they'll all be in decent shape. Wish I could walk around and drool on 'em.
          Ron
          All I’m sayin is that not all pole barns are equal. Some can get infested with rats. Some allow a lot of weather. And some don’t have much of a roof. It all depends on what their intended use was, not what ended up being stored there.
          I hope every car stored is in pristine condition and sold cheap. But what are the odds of that?
          sals54

Comment

Even good pole barns and other types of barns are not perfect. Mice seem to get in everywhere, I've even had them in my house. (None since the cat!!!) I've even had a pesky raccoon or two. They have kept the foxes, bears and deer out.

Moth balls, perfume, traps, Bounce and Irish Spring seem to help a little, but its really annoying finding little bite marks in the Irish Spring and Bounce sheets used as bedding.

No storage is perfect. An in general, it is very expensive.

The ravages of time, fire, floods, snow, animal and insect pests, rust, and mold wait for no car...

Comment

Looking for a 51 champion parts car

Comment

Tom, are any tractors going? Another 1650/1655 with a loader would be nice...

Comment

Working...
                X