Thread: Rear spring bushing removal

Rear spring bushing removal

Some threaded rod, sockets, nuts heavy washers and a lot of oil and WD40 to remove those stubborn bushings. A lot easier to install new ones! Now, those 2 left in the frame; same theory but on my back under the car!
    Attached Images Attached Images

President Member
    Why not cut the bushing with hack saw?

I wish you the best of luck on the ones in the frame. I replaced mine with the body off, so much more room to work. If I remeber correctly, I drilled out as much material as i could, then pressed out the remainder.

President Member
    Propane torch-heat that sucker up. It'll catch fire and smoke so go outside. When it gets gooey push the center out. Take hacksaw and make a relieving cut in the outer shell. It is now easily removed. Sand out inside, apply a little Lubriplate . I usually use a socket to press the new one in with 12 ton hyraulic press. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    Propane torch-heat that sucker up. It'll catch fire and smoke so go outside. When it gets gooey push the center out. Take hacksaw and make a relieving cut in the outer shell. It is now easily removed. Sand out inside, apply a little Lubriplate . I usually use a socket to press the new one in with 12 ton hyraulic press. Be careful!
    That's how I got mine out, but instead of a hacksaw I drove a screw driver between the outer tube and spring/frame to collapse the tube making it small enough to fall out.

Commander Member
    IMG_0300.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
    I wish you the best of luck on the ones in the frame. I replaced mine with the body off, so much more room to work. If I remeber correctly, I drilled out as much material as i could, then pressed out the remainder.
    I had good luck removing the rear bushings in the frame with an old muffler chisel I have. The worn inner bushings and rubber usually come right out but the outer sleeves need persuasion. The angle of the muffler chisel helps keep your hammer from kissing the quarter panels. Another tool choice is a angled muffler chisel that fits your air hammer.

Pop the new ones in the freezer......

President Member
    Right! Forgot that part. It helps

I used the tool as shown in the (sideways) photos, and the ones in the frame pulled right out, and pushed the new ones in (with a little anti-seize). I had sprayed WD40 on the nut/bolt and ends of the bushings a few days before I did this.