Thread: "Self Changing" Oil...

"Self Changing" Oil...

Tongue in cheek thoughts here....

When does your vehicle's oil consumption reach the point where it could be considered "self changing"? So, uses so much oil that you've had to add enough over the duration of a normal change interval that all the "original" oil have been replaced.

My 2006 Subaru is a oil user. I get maybe 7-800 miles after a change before it needs a quart. After that 500-600 miles. So, if say the change interval is 3000 miles, that means If I had to add 4 qts over 2600 miles I am almost self changing as it holds 4-1/2 qts.

My old 1985 Thunderbird turbo-coupe was as bad as 400-500 miles per quart until I replaced the valve stem seals when the head gasket went and after that it was good for over 2k before that first qt.

Don't think it would help in this case and a lot more $$ and effort to do it anyway. Bulk oil from the farm store is a lot cheaper than engine work.

Jeff in ND

The filter would still have to be replaced at its regular interval as it would eventually clog up and block your oil flow.

I would not keep perpetually adding oil without changing it, assuming that its constantly 'fresh'. In your area where it can get very cold in winter, condensation can build up in the oil pan, as well other contaminants that will remain in the engine.

Craig

It will insure you always have used up oil in your engine. Keep adding it as needed and change at the normal intervals.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

1989 Suburban. Purchased with 150,000 miles and parted out with 375,000 miles due to rust. Engine still running today in another vehicle. Never changed oil. Replaced filter once a year.
    1992 Suburban. Purchased with 177,000 miles. Still in service with 361,000 miles. Never changed oil. Replace filter once a year.
    1999 Plymouth minivan. Purchased with 148,000 miles. Still in service with 199,000. Miles. Never changed oil. Replace filter once a year.
    2001 Chrysler minivan. Purchased with 172,000 miles. Still in service with 225,000 miles. Never changed oil. Replace filter once a year.
    I have never lost a engine due to a internal failure or have any developed a consumption issue. Most average a quart per thousand miles.
    Maybe I’ve been very lucky but until now it’s proven to me that oil changes are not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by bob40 View Post
    1989 Suburban. Purchased with 150,000 miles and parted out with 375,000 miles due to rust. Engine still running today in another vehicle. Never changed oil. Replaced filter once a year.
    1992 Suburban. Purchased with 177,000 miles. Still in service with 361,000 miles. Never changed oil. Replace filter once a year.
    1999 Plymouth minivan. Purchased with 148,000 miles. Still in service with 199,000. Miles. Never changed oil. Replace filter once a year.
    2001 Chrysler minivan. Purchased with 172,000 miles. Still in service with 225,000 miles. Never changed oil. Replace filter once a year.
    I have never lost a engine due to a internal failure or have any developed a consumption issue. Most average a quart per thousand miles.
    Maybe I’ve been very lucky but until now it’s proven to me that oil changes are not necessary.
    I couldn't help but chuckle a little regarding your post, Bob. Am I correct in assuming you do not make your living SELLING oil?
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by bob40 View Post
    Glad to hear it is working for you.
    For myself, I think I'll follow the engineers advice.

Note to self, do not buy used car from Bob ...(unless it is a CE with a known non running engine of course).

Silver Hawk Member
    A quick check of the internet will show that a large number of Class 8 trucks are running 100,000+ miles before oil changes. The technology does include routine oil analysis, better filtration systems and shorter filter changes to add some new oil but it does show that the base lubricant has a long life when handled properly.

Cummins now has an 80,0000 mile oil change interval right out of the box and I'll bet the oil in a turbo diesel pulling 80,000# up a steep grade puts on heck of a load on the oil film.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/139258/...o-80-000-miles

The newer oil technology is why I'm using the oil indicator on my Ram pickup to go over 8000 miles between changes with full synthetic oil. Older engines needing oil every couple thousand miles or so can probably run forever by just changing the filter and adding the oil burned by the engine itself.

Bob
    , ,

Golden Hawk Member
    Since I have been retired and also spread my miles over multiple cars, I have run into a different problem. With newer cars that are still on warranty, I have had to change oil at 800 to 1K mile intervals in order to maintain the warrantee coverage. Once they are out of warrantee, I extend the changes to something that I consider to be more reasonable, like 3K miles with mostly short trip (one to three miles) driving.

The flaw in believing that you are changing the oil by adding new oil is that the new and old oil get immediately mixed and you never really get the old oil and all of the contaminants out.
    Last edited by studegary; 12-08-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarification
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Well, that is impressive! I guess it all depends on the specs built into the engine when manufactured and the oil available at that time.

What year did they start offering an oil indicator on the Rams? Mine is an 08.

From MSN's auto site: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owne...ine/ar-BBQAzis

I tend to be closer to Bob40's way of thinking.... seems Like I changed the oil in a car a few years ago, just can't remember, ha !

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    What year did they start offering an oil indicator on the Rams? Mine is an 08.
    Mine's a 14 Hemi but I can't speak prior to my year. Good thing about the interval as 7 qts full synthetic oil plus filter is $83 at the dealer. I change my oil in everything but the the Ram and Judy's 18 Toyota. Her's are free and I just like the insurance of the dealer being involved in the service if the Hemi pukes an engine down the road under the powertrain warranty.

Bob
    , ,

When I was a kid my dad had a '40 Plymouth. I thought it was the coolest car ever. I learned how to drive on that car. My job was to check the oil every day when he got home. It burned a lot of oil and had what I later learned was a "rod knock." It burned up so much oil that Dad used "reconstituted" oil that he bought at Sears. I changed a minimum of a quart a day (about 50 miles) and many time much more. One thing I know for sure is that he never changed the oil.

As far as newer cars go, my wife's 2016 VW Sport Wagon came with free oil changes for 100,000 miles. The plan is that oil gets changed every 10,000 miles! Our Subaru calls or 7,000 mile oil changes. I was a bit appalled at the time between oil changes, but from what I understand much of this is due to synthetic oil (which I do not use in my Studebakers).
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

None of the vehicles mentioned will ever be sold. After I have rung the absolute most out a vehicle I part-it out and scrap the remains.

President Member
    Back in the day, and I mean 50 years ago, 3,000 mile oil changes were the norm.

Things have changed -

Modern oils are better.
    Modern fuel injection and ignition systems are more accurate. Less fuel dilution and soot in the oil.
    Gasoline no longer contains lead, the byproducts from which were corrosive.

Some makes (BMW for one) have a computer program which takes into account mileage, engine temps and other factors and tells you from that when to change oil, usually about 15-20,000 miles.

Of course an old Studebaker, or any other make, does not have a computerized oil change reminder, but you can do some Kentucky windage thinking. A fresh and properly rebuilt engine isn't going to get it's oil contaminated nearly as quickly and an old, tired, ill-tuned engine.

An engine which does only short trips is going to have more fuel dilution and water in it's oil compared to an engine which does long trips.

Almost certainly, 3000 miles or one year, whichever happens first, is more than adequate. And for a good engine, used for mostly longish trips can go much further.