Thread: More proof we're becoming a nation of morons

Silver Hawk Member

More proof we're becoming a nation of morons

The District of Columbia local government recently changed the legend on their driver’s licenses and license plates from “District of Columbia” to “Washington DC”. The reason was that driver’s licenses have become the de facto ID card for everything from driving a vehicle to buying an airline ticket to visiting a doctor’s office – and many local police, TSA agents, and clerks everywhere seem to believe that the District is part of a South American country, and thus demand to see a passport.

The creation of a federal district was required by the US Constitution, and the District was created and named by Congress in 1801. George Washington, who was a surveyor among his many other skills, selected the specific location. Columbia is/was a mythical female figure representing manifest destiny, justice, freedom, strength, and the American Way. The statue of Freedom on the top of the US Capitol building and the depictions of Lady Liberty on some US currency are based on 18th and 19th Century conceptions of Columbia. It’s also the name of a major river in Oregon/Washington, the capital of South Carolina, a space shuttle, a record company, and a university in New York – as well as a country in South America. But it seems like some people missed a lesson in 10th grade American History.

And in a weird turnabout, in November, the crack staff at the DC Marriage License Bureau refused to issue a marriage license to a man from New Mexico because he could not produce a Mexican passport.
    Skip Lackie

There have always been ignorant people around, but with the lack of current media options you just didn't hear every single one.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

And in a weird turnabout, in November, the crack staff at the DC Marriage License Bureau refused to issue a marriage license to a man from New Mexico because he could not produce a Mexican passport.
    Saw that story. The clerk was ignorant, as well as the boss.... It took 20 minutes for someone to PROVE the egregious error to the knuckleheads. Plenty of blame to go around, but no real excuses.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

The DC City Council has also voted to decriminalize fare evasion on the Metro system. Ignorance in action.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

President Member
    Nearly 40 years ago I had a girlfriend that worked with another "late teen" who thought New England and England were the same place. But then it makes one wonder how many people think the Patriots play in the state of New England. There is a "Man on the Street" You Tuber named Mark Dice who seems to readily find the cellar of the educated - or not.

We are all naive about something (and need to display a touch of mercy) but it leaves one to question when most know more about Grammy and Academy Award winners than their local government representatives.
    Last edited by wittsend; 12-07-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Quote Originally Posted by wittsend View Post
    Nearly 40 years ago I had a girlfriend that worked with another "late teen" who thought New England and England were the same place. But then it makes one wonder how many people think the Patriots play in the state of New England. There is a "Man on the Street" You Tuber named Mark Dice who seems to readily find the cellar of the educated - or not.

We are all naive about something (and need to display a touch of mercy) but it leaves one to question when most know more about Grammy and Academy Award winners then their local government representatives.
    Do you mean more about the awards given or more about their local representatives?

President Member
    I was implying that people often know who won what award than they know who their local government representitive is.
    Last edited by wittsend; 12-07-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

As Jessica Simpson what "Chicken of the Sea" is...

The New Mexico thing is all too real. The state's tourism magazine has a monthly feature titled "One of our 50 is missing" and is always interesting/infuriating. Our license plates say "New Mexico USA" to try to cut down on the problem, at least on the road. Naming the 50 states and their capitals used to be part of a standard 5th grade curriculum.
    Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Naming the 50 states and their capitals used to be part of a standard 5th grade curriculum.
    Exactly right. Mrs. Narramore made us memorize all the Kansas counties and the county seats, too.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pile View Post
    Exactly right. Mrs. Narramore made us memorize all the Kansas counties and the county seats, too.
    Right on, Chris; Mrs. Watson was a killer on those at Vance School in Paris IL...but, today, I can still spell Mississippi without spel-chek. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

but, today, I can still spell Mississippi without spel-chek.
    My mother taught me a little song about that....

"em-eye-crooked letter-crooked letter-eye-crooked letter-crooked letter-eye-humpback-humpback-eye... Mississippi, keep on rolling!"

Dumb, but it still works.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    The New Mexico thing is all too real. The state's tourism magazine has a monthly feature titled "One of our 50 is missing" and is always interesting/infuriating. Our license plates say "New Mexico USA" to try to cut down on the problem, at least on the road. Naming the 50 states and their capitals used to be part of a standard 5th grade curriculum.
    But there weren't 50 states when I was in the 5th grade (or even in high school).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    But there weren't 50 states when I was in the 5th grade (or even in high school).

Fortunately the 48th State was New Mexico so you didn't miss out on getting that in your education. When I was a kid I use to look at maps and come up with all kinds of questions. Like which state is surround by the most States, which was the northern most contiguous State etc. (answers below). Years later when the TV show "How the States got their shapes" aired I found it amusing that they used many of the same questions I had come up with.

Then there is the fact that New York and New Jersey are some of the oldest States in the nation. Or that North Carolina is in the south and South Dakota is in the North. And West Viringia is in the East. I'm thinking when they named the States they didn't think too deeply.

Tennessee is surrounded by more States that any other.

Minnesota is the northern most contiguous state. Although the section of it (The Northwest Angle) isn't contiguous to Minnesota!
    Last edited by wittsend; 12-08-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Not all people know where Washington is, I have found myself saying Washington State...... Not the swamp, the forest.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wittsend View Post

Fortunately the 48th State was New Mexico so you didn't miss out on getting that in your education. When I was a kid I use to look at maps and come up with all kinds of questions. Like which state is surround by the most States, which was the northern most contiguous State etc. (answers below). Years later when the TV show "How the States got their shapes" aired I found it amusing that they used many of the same questions I had come up with.

Then there is the fact that New York and New Jersey are some of the oldest States in the nation. Or that North Carolina is in the south and South Dakota is in the North. And West Viringia is in the East. I'm thinking when they named the States they didn't think too deeply.

Tennessee is surrounded by more States that any other.

Minnesota is the northern most contiguous state. Although the section of it (The Northwest Angle) isn't contiguous to Minnesota!
    And Virginia reaches farther west than West Virginia.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

President Member
    Things must be taught--but the student needs to want to learn the things, too.

I think most ignorance of the kind displayed in the original post would be corrected if the person chose to read with any regularity--newspapers, books, magazines. I think having those interests in general would result in better spelling and grammar in adulthood than is often seen too.

I'm getting on my soapbox now, but I am the rare male who watches no sports. I'm simply not interested, and being bad at them as a kid and seeing stupid people get treated better because of how they throw a ball didn't add to my interest, LOL. When the football coach at a university makes three times more than the president of that university, the priority is all-too-clear. And I know "football brings a lot of money in!". But we treat particular athletes with the reverence we'd give someone who cured cancer. And that, to me, is ridiculous.

I always think, "What on earth would people talk about if not for sports?".
    Last edited by showbizkid; 12-10-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Quote removed.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

President Member
    It makes me sick hearing radio, tv and just about everybody talking using a preposition at the end of a sentence. Where’s he AT? Where you going TO? Did everyone cut English class?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pressler View Post

I think most ignorance of the kind displayed in the original post would be corrected if the person chose to read with any regularity--newspapers, books, magazines...
    The trouble these days, is in finding publications mentioned above that are trustworthy sources of factual information and not biased indoctrination.

Back in 1971, I was already a Vietnam veteran, and at 25 years old, a sophomore in college, I recall a heated confrontation with one of my professors. I had challenged him about the results of an essay test in which he had given me a failing grade. I informed him that there was not an incorrect response to any question posed in the test. He responded that my answers did not come from his lectures. I responded that no they didn't, and then showed him that I had taken extensive notes from his classes. Then, I cited the sources for my writing that included the overpriced textbook he required us to buy for his course. In addition, I gave the references to the books I had resourced from the college library. I then told him that when he could show me his academic credentials were equal to those well-published resources...I would give his opinions more weight. Otherwise, I stated that "I was going against family traditions to obtain an education!" (In fact, I had some family members mock and discourage my efforts to go to college.) I told the professor that. "I was paying the bills, and I expected to get an education and not an indoctrination!"

He changed my grade to a "B" and asked if that would satisfy me. My response was, "NO...but I'll take it!" By the end of the semester, we had become pretty good friends, and I had done well in the course. But, my point is that as far back as the early '70's,(in my opinion) academic standards had begun to decline. (And I still can't spell...praise the Lord for spellcheck software.)
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    The trouble these days, is in finding publications mentioned above that are trustworthy sources of factual information and not biased indoctrination.

Back in 1971, I was already a Vietnam veteran, and at 25 years old, a sophomore in college, I recall a heated confrontation with one of my professors. I had challenged him about the results of an essay test in which he had given me a failing grade. I informed him that there was not an incorrect response to any question posed in the test. He responded that my answers did not come from his lectures. I responded that no they didn't, and then showed him that I had taken extensive notes from his classes. Then, I cited the sources for my writing that included the overpriced textbook he required us to buy for his course. In addition, I gave the references to the books I had resourced from the college library. I then told him that when he could show me his academic credentials were equal to those well-published resources...I would give his opinions more weight. Otherwise, I stated that "I was going against family traditions to obtain an education!" (In fact, I had some family members mock and discourage my efforts to go to college.) I told the professor that. "I was paying the bills, and I expected to get an education and not an indoctrination!"

He changed my grade to a "B" and asked if that would satisfy me. My response was, "NO...but I'll take it!" By the end of the semester, we had become pretty good friends, and I had done well in the course. But, my point is that as far back as the early '70's,(in my opinion) academic standards had begun to decline. (And I still can't spell...praise the Lord for spellcheck software.)
    Bully for you, John!

As "we" also said in the 70s, "Right on, brother!" BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

My two cents......Going strictly by the 49th parallel, Point Roberts, WA is at 48.9884ºN.
    Both Tennessee and Missouri touch eight other states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pressler View Post

I think most ignorance of the kind displayed in the original post would be corrected if the person chose to read with any regularity--newspapers, books, magazines. I think having those interests in general would result in better spelling and grammar in adulthood than is often seen too.

I'm getting on my soapbox now, but I am the rare male who watches no sports. I'm simply not interested, and being bad at them as a kid and seeing stupid people get treated better because of how they throw a ball didn't add to my interest, LOL. When the football coach at a university makes three times more than the president of that university, the priority is all-too-clear. And I know "football brings a lot of money in!". But we treat particular athletes with the reverence we'd give someone who cured cancer. And that, to me, is ridiculous.

I always think, "What on earth would people talk about if not for sports?".
    Bill, your overall observation about sports reminds me of a quote from an automotive but non-Studebaker friend of long standing, who once said, "It wouldn't bother me if, overnight, they lost the technology to make balls."

I always thought that was kinda funny. BP

Ayn Rand:

[QUOTE=AnAvanti4Bob;1138095]
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneDog View Post
    ..."The education system in the United States, firmly in the control of cultural-marxists, simply does not value a knowledge of geography - or mathematics, English or science for that matter. It is far more concerned with promoting homosexuality and transsexualism, teaching people to hate their country, white men and Christianity."

Wow, if you believe that it's time you went back to school to see what's being taught and, perhaps, consider being a bit kinder to our teachers, most of whom are doing the best they can to adapt to a society that values casting dispersions on teachers more than funding education. Christians, white men and so-called patriots are doing no service to their "cause" with an atitude like you exhibit.
    Bob, I think you mean casting aspersions, rather than dispertions, which, while not a word, would only suggest dispersing something.

Honest, I have an Indiana Life Teaching License in Industrial Arts and Sociology Education with a Drivers Education Teaching Certificate...and my wife of 42 years and counting is a retired Special Education teacher, among the toughest of teaching jobs.

If money could (or would) solve the country's education problems, they would have been solved decades ago.

Rather, teachers are indirectly tasked with solving all of society's problems that have come about solely due to the destruction of, and disrespect for, the nuclear family...vacating the values with which children previously arrived at school that are no longer taught (or practiced) at home. Ask any current public school teacher if that isn't so.

Anyone who dares suggest that people should be married and stay married before and after having children are immediately dismissed as old fashioned, reactionary Neanderthals who just don't "get it" as to how society is evolving into a wonderful new culture in which moral values are decided by each individual to their own liking...and for which society must provide them a Safe Space where they don't have to be exposed to such nonsense as, "Those would ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it."

If you can figure out how to solve that problem with money, you're better than me! BP

Ayn Rand:

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Rather, teachers are indirectly tasked with solving all of society's problems that have come about solely due to the destruction of, and disrespect for, the nuclear family...vacating the values with which children previously arrived at school that are no longer taught (or practiced) at home. Ask any current public school teacher if that isn't so.

Anyone who dares suggest that people should be married and stay married before and after having children are immediately dismissed as old fashioned, reactionary Neanderthals who just don't "get it" as to how society is evolving into a wonderful new culture in which moral values are decided by each individual to their own liking...and for which society must provide them a Safe Space where they don't have to be exposed to such nonsense as, Those would ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.
    The failure of the family unit brought the Roman Empire to its knees.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    The failure of the family unit brought the Roman Empire to its knees. Craig
    That was then, Craig; this is now.

THIS time, it will be different. Honest.

Really; trust the erudite intellectuals who advise us backwater folks accordingly. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-09-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Ayn Rand:

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    "The U.S. divorce rate dropped for the third year in a row, reaching its lowest point in nearly 40 years, according to data released Thursday.

Marriage rates, on the other hand, increased last year. In 2015, there were 32.2 marriages for every 1,000 unmarried women age 15 or older, according to the National Center for Family and Marriage Research at Bowling Green State University. This represents a jump from 31.9 in 2014 and is the highest number of marriages since 2009, which suggests that marriage rates may be stabilizing after decades of decline."

http://time.com/4575495/divorce-rate...y-40-year-low/
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    "The U.S. divorce rate dropped for the third year in a row, reaching its lowest point in nearly 40 years, according to data released Thursday.

Marriage rates, on the other hand, increased last year. In 2015, there were 32.2 marriages for every 1,000 unmarried women age 15 or older, according to the National Center for Family and Marriage Research at Bowling Green State University. This represents a jump from 31.9 in 2014 and is the highest number of marriages since 2009, which suggests that marriage rates may be stabilizing after decades of decline."

http://time.com/4575495/divorce-rate...y-40-year-low/
    Thanks for posting that, Dick. Perhaps folks are learning that "shacking-up" ain't all that great.

I don't know 'bout the rest of you, but I'm astonished that we have not chosen sides and begun beating each other up. So...can we keep this thread without verbally assassinating one another? Who will make the last post on this topic? Regardless of who that is...let's challenge each other to not be the one that causes the moderator to lock or delete it.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by JRoberts View Post
    As a retired public school teacher....
    I wonder how many retired and former school teachers we have on the forum, Joe. I've spent a lot of time going through Original Owner cards in The Studebaker National Museum's Archives, on which a given car's original owner's name and occupation are listed.

We've always known that a higher-than-normal percentage of those who bought new Studebakers were school teachers; such research confirms it.

I've posted above that I am a licensed and former school teacher, and certainly would have bought a new Studebaker when I graduated from Purdue in 1969, had they been available. Anyone else? BP

Ayn Rand:

I have the impression that most people on this forum are patriots, and believe in our unique form of government. I recently watched a lecture by Judge Andrew Napolitano, who has traveled about the country for years lecturing to college students about constitutional law. He discussed the founding fathers, their reasons for wanting to become independent from England, why they chose the words they used in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and why these things are important today just as they were then. Someone in the audience asked him if the college students he lectured to were knowledgeable about all this and he replied without hesitation that if they were educated in a private or religious school they were fairly knowledgeable, but if they were educated in public schools they knew nothing about this subject.
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

The public schools teach what the politicians say they will teach and test for. If the kids don't pass the tests the funding is cut so they have to teach the test. Anything not on the test does not get taught.

My wife is a retired public school teacher, special ed, Learning difficulties and third grade mostly. She taught in our lowest socio economic school under the most adverse community conditions we have here. Kids without enough sleep, no winter coats, shoes falling apart, poor nutrition and kids being physically and or sexually abused.

Teachers in her school were all over the board politically.

Don't tell me what a great job the private schools do. They get to exclude all the kids with learning problems.

Blog Entries
    Well, my fault, I guess I should have seen that coming.
    Some of you have been issued infractions, others have simply had their posts edited or removed.
    We have had a "no politics" policy here on the Forum for years now. Abide by it.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com