This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More proof we're becoming a nation of morons

The District of Columbia local government recently changed the legend on their driver’s licenses and license plates from “District of Columbia” to “Washington DC”. The reason was that driver’s licenses have become the de facto ID card for everything from driving a vehicle to buying an airline ticket to visiting a doctor’s office – and many local police, TSA agents, and clerks everywhere seem to believe that the District is part of a South American country, and thus demand to see a passport.

The creation of a federal district was required by the US Constitution, and the District was created and named by Congress in 1801. George Washington, who was a surveyor among his many other skills, selected the specific location. Columbia is/was a mythical female figure representing manifest destiny, justice, freedom, strength, and the American Way. The statue of Freedom on the top of the US Capitol building and the depictions of Lady Liberty on some US currency are based on 18th and 19th Century conceptions of Columbia. It’s also the name of a major river in Oregon/Washington, the capital of South Carolina, a space shuttle, a record company, and a university in New York – as well as a country in South America. But it seems like some people missed a lesson in 10th grade American History.

And in a weird turnabout, in November, the crack staff at the DC Marriage License Bureau refused to issue a marriage license to a man from New Mexico because he could not produce a Mexican passport.
    Skip Lackie

There have always been ignorant people around, but with the lack of current media options you just didn't hear every single one.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

And in a weird turnabout, in November, the crack staff at the DC Marriage License Bureau refused to issue a marriage license to a man from New Mexico because he could not produce a Mexican passport.
      Saw that story. The clerk was ignorant, as well as the boss.... It took 20 minutes for someone to PROVE the egregious error to the knuckleheads. Plenty of blame to go around, but no real excuses.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The DC City Council has also voted to decriminalize fare evasion on the Metro system. Ignorance in action.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Nearly 40 years ago I had a girlfriend that worked with another "late teen" who thought New England and England were the same place. But then it makes one wonder how many people think the Patriots play in the state of New England. There is a "Man on the Street" You Tuber named Mark Dice who seems to readily find the cellar of the educated - or not.

We are all naive about something (and need to display a touch of mercy) but it leaves one to question when most know more about Grammy and Academy Award winners than their local government representatives.
          Last edited by wittsend; 12-07-2018, 11:45 AM.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
            Nearly 40 years ago I had a girlfriend that worked with another "late teen" who thought New England and England were the same place. But then it makes one wonder how many people think the Patriots play in the state of New England. There is a "Man on the Street" You Tuber named Mark Dice who seems to readily find the cellar of the educated - or not.

We are all naive about something (and need to display a touch of mercy) but it leaves one to question when most know more about Grammy and Academy Award winners then their local government representatives.
            Do you mean more about the awards given or more about their local representatives?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I was implying that people often know who won what award than they know who their local government representitive is.
              Last edited by wittsend; 12-07-2018, 01:13 PM.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

As Jessica Simpson what "Chicken of the Sea" is...

Comment

The New Mexico thing is all too real. The state's tourism magazine has a monthly feature titled "One of our 50 is missing" and is always interesting/infuriating. Our license plates say "New Mexico USA" to try to cut down on the problem, at least on the road. Naming the 50 states and their capitals used to be part of a standard 5th grade curriculum.
                  Jim K.
                  63 Hawk

Comment

Naming the 50 states and their capitals used to be part of a standard 5th grade curriculum.
                    Exactly right. Mrs. Narramore made us memorize all the Kansas counties and the county seats, too.
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      Exactly right. Mrs. Narramore made us memorize all the Kansas counties and the county seats, too.
                      Right on, Chris; Mrs. Watson was a killer on those at Vance School in Paris IL...but, today, I can still spell Mississippi without spel-chek. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

but, today, I can still spell Mississippi without spel-chek.
                        My mother taught me a little song about that....

"em-eye-crooked letter-crooked letter-eye-crooked letter-crooked letter-eye-humpback-humpback-eye... Mississippi, keep on rolling!"

Dumb, but it still works.

Comment

Originally posted by JimK View Post
                          The New Mexico thing is all too real. The state's tourism magazine has a monthly feature titled "One of our 50 is missing" and is always interesting/infuriating. Our license plates say "New Mexico USA" to try to cut down on the problem, at least on the road. Naming the 50 states and their capitals used to be part of a standard 5th grade curriculum.
                          But there weren't 50 states when I was in the 5th grade (or even in high school).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            But there weren't 50 states when I was in the 5th grade (or even in high school).

Fortunately the 48th State was New Mexico so you didn't miss out on getting that in your education. When I was a kid I use to look at maps and come up with all kinds of questions. Like which state is surround by the most States, which was the northern most contiguous State etc. (answers below). Years later when the TV show "How the States got their shapes" aired I found it amusing that they used many of the same questions I had come up with.

Then there is the fact that New York and New Jersey are some of the oldest States in the nation. Or that North Carolina is in the south and South Dakota is in the North. And West Viringia is in the East. I'm thinking when they named the States they didn't think too deeply.

Tennessee is surrounded by more States that any other.

Minnesota is the northern most contiguous state. Although the section of it (The Northwest Angle) isn't contiguous to Minnesota!
                            Last edited by wittsend; 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Not all people know where Washington is, I have found myself saying Washington State...... Not the swamp, the forest.

Comment

Working...
                              X