Thread: Fan shroud for Champion

Commander Member

Fan shroud for Champion

Were there ever factory fan shrouds for '47-'52 Champion sixes? I've been gathering parts to build the cookie sheet fan shroud that one club member discussed, but if there was a factory version I'd love to see it. Or, better yet, have a chance to buy one. I'm building my six to look like a barn find, 50s hot rod, and an original shroud would help that image. Are they out there? Thanks.

Yes, they had a stock shroud. Here is a picture of my 1950 Champion fan shroud. French Lake Auto Parts has the shrouds in the yard.

003.jpg
    Last edited by TWChamp; 12-07-2018 at 02:30 AM.

I think I may have one laying around here somewhere. I'll try to locate it and let you know.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

And..........here it is.DCP02196.JPGDCP02195.JPGPM me if interested.
    It's upside down in the photos.
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Commander Member
    Thanks Ken. I'm surprised by the size of the opening for the fan. It's much larger than the diameter of the fan on my flathead six which makes me think it wouldn't create as much pull through the radiator as if the opening were smaller and nearer to the size of the fan diameter. But you mentioned that the one in the photo is fairly unmolested, so can I assume they're all like that--no one has enlarged the opening on this one? Also, the water pump and fan on a flathead six is offset to the driver's side of the car, while the oversize hole is very much centered in the shroud.

The other thing is the loop at the top (bottom in the photo) which I assume goes over the upper radiator hose outlet. If that's the case, the loop is positioned wrong for a six. The loop on the shroud in the photo looks to be just about in the center, while the upper outlet on my six is very much to the driver's side.

Could this be a shroud for a Commander or Land Cruiser V8 car? That makes me wonder again if the sixes got a shroud at all or if the V8 shroud is the only one that was made. Or am I misreading the photo?

Speedster Member
    The pictures Ken posted that I'm looking at have the opening offset to the driver's side.
    Sure looks like it's authentic to me, Ken. Dan

The fan hole is almost 19" in diam. and offset to the drivers side. The loop on the top is centered on the shroud. The shroud is 24 1/2" wide, same as the radiator support. The shroud is 19 1/2" tall.
    I got this along with three 1950 Champions that were in various states of disassembly and "assumed" it was for one of them. I don't have a correct radiator to verify fit, just the radiator "U" support bracket.
    Thanks, everyone for any help to identify the shrouds original place in life.
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

This fan shroud is for a 1950 Champion. The 50 had the top radiator hose centered.
    The 51 and 52 Champions did not have shrouds. That's why this one does not look correct for a 51.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Thanks for that info, Roy.
    Guess I dodged another bullet and learned something too.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    This fan shroud is for a 1950 Champion. The 50 had the top radiator hose centered.
    The 51 and 52 Champions did not have shrouds. That's why this one does not look correct for a 51.
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird