Thread: speedometer drive gear

Champion Member

speedometer drive gear

I have a 1940 Champion with 4:56 gears and OD. I don't have a source to determine the original studebaker part number for the gear and was wondering if anyone could give me a part number and also, if known the number of teeth on the gear for this tranny and rear end gear ratio.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks and Regards

DENNIS

The gear is held in with one bolt, and is stamped with an SW part number and Studebaker part number...... It is faster to pull it and check it, than in a book.
    it is probably stude# 185138 The book has about 100 combos listed by body type/serial numbers and what plant made the car. You need more info. to be sure.

You probably do not want a Speedometer "Drive Gear", in Studebaker Speak, that is the Spiral Drive Gear on the Trans. Shaft that DRIVES the Speedometer "Pinion Gear", which is likely what you need.

It is important when Ordering Studebaker Parts to get the Correct Nomenclature if you do not have the preferred item, the PART Number.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

That's a great way to put it! "in Studebaker speak". I've found that Studebaker NEVER calls it, whatever IT may be, the same as the rest of the world does. I find all those Stude parts manuals worthless because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    That's a great way to put it! "in Studebaker speak". I've found that Studebaker NEVER calls it, whatever IT may be, the same as the rest of the world does. I find all those Stude parts manuals worthless because of that.
    LOL I never heard of a "reach rod" until I came here, because the rest of the world knows it as a "drag link".

Studebaker was making 'reach rods'' and writing parts books while Henry Ford was still 'inventing' the model T. Not their fault the terms never caught on.

Quote Originally Posted by (S) View Post
    Studebaker was making 'reach rods'' and writing parts books while Henry Ford was still 'inventing' the model T. Not their fault the terms never caught on.
    Not true. While studebaker had been making wagons for some time, wagon steering is vastly different than self powered vehicle steering. Studebaker's first self powered vehicle, an electric wagon, using a steering design that would include a "reach rod" was introduced and sold in 1902. Ford introduced and sold his first self powered vehicles in 1896, they also include what Studebaker calls a "reach rod". That venture did fail, but he was back in business producing and selling autos in 1901, that company also failed and became Cadillac. The current Ford company was incorporated in 1903, producing and selling cars since. The model T was introduced in 1908.

Everbody seems to think the Model T was Ford's first, but he was building and selling cars for 12 years before the Model T. It was just his first wildly sucsessful model.
    Last edited by bensherb; 12-08-2018 at 03:55 PM.

I've found that Studebaker NEVER calls it, whatever IT may be, the same as the rest of the world does.
    Well, ...the drive gear in the transmission tail does "drive" the pinion gear; and the pinion gear does "drive" the speedo cable. It could be said the speedo cable does "drive" the speedo face.
    Nomenclature is a fickle mistress in any society.

Not true. While studebaker had been making wagons for some time, wagon steering is vastly different than self powered vehicle steering. Studebaker's first self powered vehicle, an electric wagon, using a steering design that would include a "reach rod" was introduced and sold in 1902. Ford introduced and sold his first self powered vehicles in 1896, they also include what Studebaker calls a "reach rod". That venture did fail, but he was back in business producing and selling autos in 1901, that company also failed and became Cadillac. The current Ford company was incorporated in 1903, producing and selling cars since. The model T was introduced in 1908.

Everbody seems to think the Model T was Ford's first, but he was building and selling cars for 12 years before the Model T. It was just his first wildly sucsessful model.
    Henry's first venture was, circa 1901, the Detroit Automobile Co., it failed after only a few vehicles (delivery vans) were assembled.

His next venture was the Henry Ford Co., but Ford was more interested in racing than designing an automobile. His financial backers put Henry Martyn Leland, known as the master of precision, in charge. Ford soon left the company, Leland changed the company name, naming it after the founder of Detroit: Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, The Cadillac Motor Car Co. was born!

Ford soon found new financial backers, naming his new company Ford Motor Co., it was a success. Meanwhile, Billy Durant purchased Cadillac, which became part of GM

In 1916, Leland wanted to build Liberty Aircraft engines for the war effort, but Durant was a pacifist, so said no. Leland left Cadillac, started a new company, naming it after his favorite president: Lincoln Motor Co.

Rich: Most people don't know the difference between the speedometer DRIVE and DRIVEN gears. I see this at least once a week on the Ford truck site I'm on.

Ford built his first "Quadricycle" and sold it to Charles Ainsley in 1896 for $200. He built two more, one in 1899 and one in 1901. He eventually bought the first one back for $60.

Ford founded the Detroit Automobile Company in 1899.

Reorganized into the Henry Ford Company 1901.

Ford left the company due to differences with financial backers, March 1902. It was reorganized into Cadillac later that year. Cadillac's first car was completed, using Ford's design, October 1902. It was identical to Ford's 1903 Model A save for a redesigned engine.

The Ford Motor Company was incorporated,
    June 16, 1903. First car sold to Ernest Pfennig, a Model A, July 1903.