Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Piston Help

  1. #1
    President Member Bamajak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA.
    Posts
    649

    Piston Help

    I have a set of pistons flat top supposed to R1 part number 1557714 30 over 3.5937 inches. Can anyone verify or identify this piston set?
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

  2. #2
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fanning Spgs, Florida
    Posts
    101
    Where did you get that part number? Avanti parts book shows part number 1557858 to be .30 over R1, R2

  3. #3
    President Member Bamajak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA.
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by rbisacca View Post
    Where did you get that part number? Avanti parts book shows part number 1557858 to be .30 over R1, R2
    Printed on the box the pistons came in..................
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

  4. #4
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fanning Spgs, Florida
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamajak View Post
    Printed on the box the pistons came in..................
    None of my parts books nor my Price Book show this number. So this is a GUESS. All my parts books show pistons individully not as sets. Perhaps after the parts books were published the decision was made to package the pistons as sets and this number was given to a set of 8. Remember, this is just a GUESS.

  5. #5
    President Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Montpelier, VT, USA.
    Posts
    1,163
    Is there a casting number on the inside of the pistons?
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    28,621

    Lightbulb

    The 1557858 is also the correct R1/R2 Jet Thrust .030 Over Piston listed in the Jet Thrust Engine Equipment section of the '59-'64 Chassis Parts Catalog.

    There were NO "Sets", Pistons were sold Per One of 8 needed.

    I thought MAYBE, since the '59-'64 Lark/Hawk Chassis Parts Catalog and the Avanti Parts Catalog were printed at different times that there COULD be a discrepancy between the two, but NOT.

    Does anyone have the Late 1963 or 1964 Printing of the: "Parts and Accessory Price List" -Book "F" ?

    Later Parts and Superseded Part Numbers can be found there.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  7. #7
    President Member Bamajak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA.
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by dpson View Post
    Is there a casting number on the inside of the pistons?
    This is the casting number and the manufacture is BOHNAN I think another cast GE3550?
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

  8. #8
    President Member (S)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ferndale, Washington
    Posts
    1,944
    Those are in the wrong box most likely. The popular, cheaper Stude piston is 3550, from A Ford. I have heard of many using them, only know of one personally, it ran good on Super.

  9. #9
    President Member Dwain G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Puget Sound, , USA.
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamajak View Post
    This is the casting number and the manufacture is BOHNAN I think another cast GE3550?
    So 1557714 is cast inside the piston?

  10. #10
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    28,621
    I was "Told" for what it is worth, that the Avanti R1/R2 Piston replacements some have used, are for a V6 Ford and they do give higher Compression than a stock dished 289 Piston because they are Flattops, but the Pins of course are not the bolted to the Rods Type requiring some machining/Pin Fitting to make them safely work.

    You do have to wonder what kind of Deck Clearance you would get, with the wrong pistons.

  11. #11
    President Member Bamajak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA.
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwain G. View Post
    So 1557714 is cast inside the piston?
    Yes 1557714 also GE3550 plus another number after 3550 I can not read
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

  12. #12
    President Member Dwain G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Puget Sound, , USA.
    Posts
    4,232
    Ok then, that is just a casting number so it won't appear in any book. It is probably on a blueprint though.

  13. #13
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fanning Spgs, Florida
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    The 1557858 is also the correct R1/R2 Jet Thrust .030 Over Piston listed in the Jet Thrust Engine Equipment section of the '59-'64 Chassis Parts Catalog.

    There were NO "Sets", Pistons were sold Per One of 8 needed.

    I thought MAYBE, since the '59-'64 Lark/Hawk Chassis Parts Catalog and the Avanti Parts Catalog were printed at different times that there COULD be a discrepancy between the two, but NOT.

    Does anyone have the Late 1963 or 1964 Printing of the: "Parts and Accessory Price List" -Book "F" ?

    Later Parts and Superseded Part Numbers can be found there.
    I have the September 1, 1963 printing of the "Parts and Accessory Price List"-Book "F" It does not show PN 1557714

  14. #14
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC, USA.
    Posts
    5,964
    Just for the record, 1557714 does not appear in the 1968, 69, and 71 price lists.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •