Thread: '64 Champ Dome Lamp

Speedster Member

'64 Champ Dome Lamp

Want to add a dome light to my newly purchased T-4 '64 Champ. Before I cut the headliner would like to know what parts I will need. Over 30 years ago I added one to my '62 T-4 but don't remember the details.
    Do I need to add the bracket or did all Champs have it dome light or not? Also, do I need to add the wires or they already there?
    Thanks

Bob
    rbisacca@hotmail.com

President Member

Dome light

There is a bracket and wiring there from factory. Can be wired both ways door switches and switch on the light. All you need is da light. Got mine NOS from Stephen Allen's Studebaker, Newberry, Fl.
    My truck didn't have much headliner left when I got it but doesn't have any now. Makes it easier.
    Hopes this helps,
    Kim

Speedster Member
    Thanks for the info. My headliner is perfect and hate to cut it and then not be able to finish job. I was at Stephen Allen's 3 days ago. Guess I'll go back.

President Member
    Wish I had a headliner. However, if you're going back to Steve's, look at a 59/61 parts car and take measurements. The n u can make a small slit and feel where bracket is. You can push wires closer to the opening from under da dash. May have to stand on your head. then you should be able to fish up and out nuf to make connections. I'd make a small "X" between the 2 brackets as you'll need to feel in there where to put screws . I'd cut it so screws go through da headliner, that will help keep it's shape. I bought a pair of under dash lights for mine that come on with jam switches. They came in da convertibles. If you see a red 60 convertible in one a da buildings I built it for my oldest 28 years ago.
    Hope this helps,
    Kim

......................Da!

I think we have discovered a new secret Cellphone Language!

Quote Originally Posted by kamzack View Post
    Wish I had a headliner. However, if you're going back to Steve's, look at a 59/61 parts car and take measurements. The n u can make a small slit and feel where bracket is. You can push wires closer to the opening from under da dash. May have to stand on your head. then you should be able to fish up and out nuf to make connections. I'd make a small "X" between the 2 brackets as you'll need to feel in there where to put screws . I'd cut it so screws go through da headliner, that will help keep it's shape. I bought a pair of under dash lights for mine that come on with jam switches. They came in da convertibles. If you see a red 60 convertible in one a da buildings I built it for my oldest 28 years ago. Hope this helps, Kim
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-07-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Speedster Member
    Wish I had a headliner. However, if you're going back to Steve's, look at a 59/61 parts car and take measurements. The n u can make a small slit and feel where bracket is. You can push wires closer to the opening from under da dash. May have to stand on your head. then you should be able to fish up and out nuf to make connections. I'd make a small "X" between the 2 brackets as you'll need to feel in there where to put screws . I'd cut it so screws go through da headliner, that will help keep it's shape. I bought a pair of under dash lights for mine that come on with jam switches. They came in da convertibles. If you see a red 60 convertible in one a da buildings I built it for my oldest 28 years ago.
    Hope this helps,
    Kim
    Measurements I can take from my other Champ. I just want to be sure of the bracket. I remember seeing a Lark Conv with fabric rather than vinyl upholstery.

President Member

dome light

Black interior with fabric seat tops.

Speedster Member
    Black interior with fabric seat tops.
    Yep that's the one I saw.