Thread: Going to look at a 1964 Daytona R1 car.

Speedster Member

Going to look at a 1964 Daytona R1 car.

Did they make any full package cars with an R1.

Dusty Taylor

President Member
    My father-in law had a 64 Cruiser, R1, power shift full package with a am-fm radio. Sold it and the guy stripped the body off. Bill from Packard Farms ended up with the complete Chassey. Same guy bought a 63 GT R2 4 speed full package from dad and he stripped it also.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty taylor View Post
    Did they make any full package cars with an R1.
    Yes, Dusty; quite a few of them.

In 1964, Option #36 was "Super Performance Package with R1."

The price varied from $556.70 on Commanders to $371.70 on Hawks.

I see you're looking at a Daytona. The Full Super R1 Package was $521.70 on Daytonas; any body style. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-04-2018 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added Daytona pricing
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Speedster Member
    Thanks Bob as soon as I get the numbers I will post them here. I hope that some one can tell if it a full package car.

President Member
    A “Full Package Car” sounds impressive, but is not much different than a non-package Jet Thrust car. A full package car includes heavy duty springs and shock absorbers, and a grille emblem.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    A “Full Package Car” sounds impressive, but is not much different than a non-package Jet Thrust car. A full package car includes heavy duty springs and shock absorbers, and a grille emblem.
    Also rear sway and traction bars.

Silver Hawk Member
    And a 160 mph speedometer. I almost said 160 speedo, but that imagery scared me. Cuz I know what some of us would look like equipped with a speedo. Ugh.
    sals54

One must be careful saying what equipment is or is not included in a full-package car. As 1963 and 1964 production continued, more and more equipment formerly on full package cars migrated to non-package cars when ordered with R1 or R2 engines. It's almost like you need to know the production date of a non-package car to determine what equipment it might have.

For example, the 160 speedometer on this 1964 R2 Hawk is the car's original equipment, but it is not a full-package car, per the build sheet:

DSCF5043.jpg

Also, IIRC, this car (which is now back in California) had a rear sway bar and radius rods...but, again, it was not a Super Hawk. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    My '64 R2 Hawk was sold to me as a full package. However, when I got the build sheet it was a surprise. Instead of doing the easy thing and checking the full package box they did it ala carte and left off the heavy duty springs, but got everything else, plus AM/FM. Weird
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Speedster Member
    Went and looked at the car it is not a package car. But it is a R1 power shift. Here is some numbers on the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dusty Taylor

Golden Hawk Member
    To me, the engine appears that it at least started as a regular 289 cid and not an R1.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    To me, the engine appears that it at least started as a regular 289 cid and not an R1.
    The engine number should start with JT. Does it have any of the 'R' equipment such as oilpan and breather tube? 4bbl manifold without crossover slots?
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Speedster Member
    I will have to go back and look at the motor some more. I think that someone has put the R1 badge on the grill and the finders the first time I looked at it years ago. It has a 4 barrel on it but I didn't get the numbers off of it. I have got more pictures on my phone that I will put on studebaker addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by dusty taylor View Post
    Went and looked at the car it is not a package car. But it is a R1 power shift. Here is some numbers on the car.
    Dusty; that is the engine with which 64V5749 was manufactured: PJ311.

It was ordered with 4-bbl carb, dual exhausts, and Powershift Floor Automatic transmission.

(Yes, I know the 3 in the engine number could be mistaken for a 5, but it has to do with the angle at which it was struck.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    One must be careful saying what equipment is or is not included in a full-package car. As 1963 and 1964 production continued, more and more equipment formerly on full package cars migrated to non-package cars when ordered with R1 or R2 engines. It's almost like you need to know the production date of a non-package car to determine what equipment it might have.

For example, the 160 speedometer on this 1964 R2 Hawk is the car's original equipment, but it is not a full-package car, per the build sheet:

DSCF5043.jpg

Also, IIRC, this car (which is now back in California) had a rear sway bar and radius rods...but, again, it was not a Super Hawk. BP
    That speedometer looks awfully familiar, Bob.