Charles "Chuck" Sallia Left Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles "Chuck" Sallia Left Us

Our father, and long time Studebaker enthusiast, passed away on Wednesday, November 28, 2018. He was 94 years old.
    Dad owned his first Studebaker in 1951 and had many more over the years. At one time he had over a dozen of them parked around our modest track home in Reseda, California. They all ran and were in various stages of restoration. He learned how to work on them and was an extremely knowledgeable Studebaker home mechanic by the time we were old enough to drive. He was a great teacher and a great father and he will be missed. We all have fond memories of him and how he would chastise us when we did not put our tools away each day.
    He was born in Springfield, Illinois in 1924. He joined the Navy soon after Pearl Harbor. He went to Aviation Service School at NAS Jacksonville, Florida. He also attended Gunnery School at Kane, Oklahoma and went on to Bombsight School in Jacksonville. He was stationed at Ford Island, Hawaii throughout the war and learned to fly TBFs, Catalinas, and B25 Mitchel Bombers. He was discharged from the Navy in October of 1945 and moved to Indianapolis where he met mom, and I followed shortly thereafter. He is survived by his children, Charles (me), Danny, Billy and Susan.
    May he rest in peace. We will miss him terribly.
    Last edited by Commander Eddie; 12-03-2018, 03:59 PM.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Ed,

Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Always sad to hear of anyone passing but a little more so when it's one of our group. Ed, you and your four siblings have our thoughts and prayers with you.

Ted

Comment

What a life, Ed; lived to the fullest. All the best to you and yours. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Very sorry to hear this Ed. Our sympathies to you and your family.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Ed,
            Always a sad moment but what a great legacy he has left for all of you.
            Sonja's and my heart go out to each of you as you now relegate the memories to your family history.
            RIP Chuck
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
              Ed,
              Always a sad moment but what a great legacy he has left for all of you.
              Sonja's and my heart go out to each of you as you now relegate the memories to your family history.
              RIP Chuck
              Bill
              Excuse me, but is this the Sonja that was SDC Secretary years ago? I don't think that name is common around Studebaker circles, so I thought that I would ask.
              Last edited by studegary; 12-05-2018, 06:00 PM. Reason: corrected office
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So for those of you wondering where my skill and passion for Studebaker's came from this should be the answer. Mom had only one rule about our cars. We could never have more than 24 of them at any one time. We were at the limit most of my teen years and even after I left home. Some hings never change!
                Dan

Comment

Gary L,
                  Sorry but no as we live in British Columbia.

Dan, Great to see you have surfaced again. Best Regards re: your father, Chuck.
                  Bill & Sonja

Comment

Sounds like he was a fantastic guy. I'm sorry for your loss.

Dean
                    Dean Seavers
                    Sacramento, CA

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind words he will be missed. When we were kids he always said I will be buried in my Golden Hawk but he out lived the car.
                      RIP Dad.

Bill Sallia

Comment

UPDATE - Although some of Charles' ashes were spread at sea off the coast of Santa Barbara a few months ago, some of them were sent to me for a proper military honors burial.
                        Finally, on Friday, June 28th, the remainder of his ashes were given that military burial at Willamette National Cemetery in Portland, Oregon. Although he never lived in Oregon I felt it was a good place to bury him as he will be close to me and my surviving brother, Bill.
                        The ceremony was solemn, respectful and moving. Seeing the military honor guard at the ceremony site almost brought me to tears. Dad received the traditional rifle salute and the playing of taps. They then folded the American flag and presented it to me with condolences.
                        Dad wished his ashes spread at sea and the family wanted to know there was a place where we could go and pay our respects when the spirit moved us. So, we all got what we wanted and dad is in two places of honor.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ed and Bill,
                          Sonja and I send our best and most respectful wishes to you both. Having been at Sonja's father's Military funeral we can attest what an emotional and truly moving experience it is. You have had it tough losing two Studebaker enthusiasts in less than one year.
                          Best regards,
                          Bill & Sonja

Comment

Thank you Bill & Sonja. Yes, this has been a rough few months.
                            I hope we have an opportunity to see you both again soon. I am afraid I will not be able to make it to the Zone Meet this year. Keep in touch.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                            X