'52 registered VIN doesn't match motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: '52 registered VIN doesn't match motor

The number my '52 Champion is registered under doesn't match any of identifications on the vehicle. I suspect the motor was replaced without transferring the title to the body serial or new motor. I'm in Arizona and it is currently registered here under my name but I want to make sure the registration and insurance match a number on the car. How should I proceed?
    1952 Green Studebaker Champion
    • manual
    • 6 cyl
    • no radio
    • owner since 4/11/17

Pictured: PO (left) and me
    sigpic

I would register the car using the number on the door post, which is the car's serial number.
    If the title also has a separate box for the engine number, then use the number on your engine.

Comment

Is the car currently titled/registered? I am in Tucson and in the past have gone the bonded title way. There was a discussion about how Studebaker used the number 1 on the serial number pillar. After the inspector sent it in with the"I" instead of the one, after researched by MVD it came back as the number one.

My contact information is on the home page if you need to call me. Happy to help as I just bought a 1952 Commander and have to do the bonded title again. Happy to help navigate the MVD in Arizona. Love the Tahoe Green, it is one of my favorite colors.

Bob Miles
      Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

If you order the production Order from the Studebaker National Museum, you will have PROOF that the Car with the Serial Number verifiable on the Driver's Door LATCH Post ("B" Pillar) actually came with another engine which has been replaced.

So the CAR Serial needs to be used by the AZ MVD with their inspection or the Arizona State Patrol (if that is allowed there) and in many States can be done without expensive outside Bond Co's, delayed titles, MORE money, etc, etc.

Dive into the history of your vehicle with a Studebaker production order. Learn more about your vehicle's original configuration so that your restoration projects proceeds in perfect order!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is a great idea to get the production order. I have ordered them for the last two cars I bought. The one with the title will show that the car was delivered in Tucson. The most recent car is a Vernon assembled car and I would like to see where it was sold. As StudeRich stated, all the information as the car was built will be on the production order.

The state will inspect the car much cheaper that a private inspector in Arizona. If the car does not run, trailer it to the closest MVD. Otherwise get a one day temporary paper plate to drive for inspection. To have an inspector come out you can wait for several weeks before one is available.

Bob Miles
          Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Would be interesting to know if you are able to locate the 'hidden' serial number in the rear frame crossmember.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              Would be interesting to know if you are able to locate the 'hidden' serial number in the rear frame crossmember.
              I found the stamped serial on the cross member and it matches the one on the plate in the driver's jamb. I didn't know that was there. Not that it will help me much as my plate is still intact but it does help validate that the body and frame are the ones mentioned in the production order matching the replaced motor.
              • manual
              • 6 cyl
              • no radio
              • owner since 4/11/17

sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. Turns out I was just being dumb but at least I can keep the old girl on the road. I had confused a cast number on the bottom of the left side of the motor block that I think had the same number of digits. Before contacting the state to start the process I figured I should be really sure of that motor number and looked up where to find it. For anyone wondering, the number used for the VIN prior to 1954, at least on the flathead I6 is stamped (not cast) into a flat area on the left side of the motor at the front, just under the head. This was validated on my '52 Champion and applies at least as far back as '50 per http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...umber-location

I do have the production order so I was going to try that route. For reference and the benefit of anyone else in a similar situation, is there any way to demonstrate to the state that the production order is valid? Can they verify it with the museum, for example?
                • manual
                • 6 cyl
                • no radio
                • owner since 4/11/17

sigpic

Comment

The production orders in the Museum's possession came directly from the administrative records of the Studebaker Corporation.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Had you posted that cast number I'm sure some of us would recognize it as the engine block casting number. Now that you know the engine serial number matches the title, I wouldn't expect any problem at all getting the title changed to the vehicle serial number.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                    X