Thread: The value of being Olde Skool?

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

The value of being Olde Skool?

Sometimes it pays to be Olde Skool. Yesterday, it was worth $125.

Our town's monthly magazine ran a Christmas-theme trivia contest to encourage readers to read advertiser ads in a specific two-page spread. In the middle of the spread were a dozen Christmas trivia questions such as, "What were Frosty the Snowman's eyes made of?" [coal]

Each question was answered prominently in one of the advertisements in the spread; you didn't have to look very hard to find the answers if you didn't already know them.

To have a chance at winning a $125 prepaid VISA Gift Card, (the magazine would draw one winner from all the correct answers received), all you had to do was cut out the quiz, answer the questions correctly, and mail it to the magazine's post office box. I figured that was a key point; there was no way you could enter the contest using your computer, the internet, your smart phone, or any other contemporary electronic contraption.

That is, you had to physically cut the answer sheet from the magazine (gasp), get out and address an envelope (gasp #2), put a stamp on it (gasp #3), and mail it via the USPS (gasp #4; what intense, non-electronic, physical activity!). I commented to my wife at the time that few people would be willing to do all that, so the chances of winning were greatly increased for those who would.

And I was right; the lady who publishes the magazine called Monday afternoon, said I had won the contest , and made arrangements to hand-deliver $125 worth of VISA prepaid gift cards (one for $25; one for $100) the next day, which she did.

All without the internet or a smart phone or an "app." ...how quaint and obsolete... BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-30-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    ...plus the gift cards were HAND DELIVERED. Even MORE olde skool!
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I love an old fashioned Christmas!
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Cool beans Bob!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Wait for the 10-99 to come.
    Betcha a donut, the IRS won't hand deliver it....
    But it is coming...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Golden Hawk Member
    Congrat's., Bob. I wonder how many entries they received. I am surprised that you didn't think to ask or wouldn't she tell you.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Wait for the 1099 to come.
    Betcha a donut, the IRS won't hand deliver it....
    But it is coming...
    AKAIK, Jeff, they don't generate 1099s for anything less than $600. Interest and Dividends, yes for anything over $10, but not for "work."

One reason I know that is because the years when there are elections, I'm on the local election board and "work" the polling place(s) to which I'm assigned as an Inspector or Judge. That has paid from $125 - $165 per election, Primary or General, through the years. I keep the check stubs and report the amount under Miscellaneous Income, but I've never received a 1099 from the county treasurer who cuts the checks.

Now that my wife is retired from teaching, she has also worked the polls for several years. Again, no 1099s for either of our earnings. (Under Miscellaneous Income, I just write in Election Poll Workers and enter the total amount on the appropriate line.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Congrat's., Bob. I wonder how many entries they received. I am surprised that you didn't think to ask or wouldn't she tell you.
    Agreed, Gary. I thought to ask but didn't. BP

Ayn Rand:

Cool thing is that they set it up so there was some effort needed to get to the actual prize level.
    That assures the contest giver that the recipient is at least sincere enough to jump through some hoops to get the prize.
    Good on ya!

Hmmmm... County treasurer never sent 1099's? Hmmmm... Sounds like collusion to me!
    All I know is I won a contest a while back that involved a gas card and a painting...
    Taxes were almost $600 on the 'prize'. Yeah, it was a cool prize.... But $600?

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    AKAIK, Jeff, they don't generate 1099s for anything less than $600. Interest and Dividends, yes for anything over $10, but not for "work."

One reason I know that is because the years when there are elections, I'm on the local election board and "work" the polling place(s) to which I'm assigned as an Inspector or Judge. That has paid from $125 - $165 per election, Primary or General, through the years. I keep the check stubs and report the amount under Miscellaneous Income, but I've never received a 1099 from the county treasurer who cuts the checks.

Now that my wife is retired from teaching, she has also worked the polls for several years. Again, no 1099s for either of our earnings. (Under Miscellaneous Income, I just write in Election Poll Workers and enter the total amount on the appropriate line.) BP

Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Cool thing is that they set it up so there was some effort needed to get to the actual prize level.
    That assures the contest giver that the recipient is at least sincere enough to jump through some hoops to get the prize.
    Good on ya!

Hmmmm... County treasurer never sent 1099's? Hmmmm... Sounds like collusion to me!
    All I know is I won a contest a while back that involved a gas card and a painting...
    Taxes were almost $600 on the 'prize'. Yeah, it was a cool prize.... But $600?

Good grief, Jeff; $600 in taxes on a prize? What was the prize, for Pete's sake? A $5,000 Gas Card? Inquiring minds must know. BP

Ayn Rand:

Speedster Member
    Do you remember the old days when looking for parts and you had to write out your want list and send it to the vendor with a SASE? Most required it or no reply. I bet most of the younger generation don't know what a SASE is.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studerex View Post
    Do you remember the old days when looking for parts and you had to write out your want list and send it to the vendor with a SASE? Most required it or no reply. I bet most of the younger generation don't know what a SASE is.
    I don't know if they know what the abbreviation is for, but SASEs are still in use. Yesterday, I received forms in the mail that requested return and they included a SASE. Today, the mailman came to my door and rang the bell. This is not normal, he usually leaves the mail in the box at the curb line. The letter required two signatures by me. This mail, a notification of a price increase, also had forms to return. and included a SASE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by studerex View Post
    I don't know if they know what the abbreviation is for, but SASEs are still in use. Yesterday, I received forms in the mail that requested return and they included a SASE. Today, the mailman came to my door and rang the bell. This is not normal, he usually leaves the mail in the box at the curb line. The letter required two signatures by me. This mail, a notification of a price increase, also had forms to return. and included a SASE.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Isn't a SASE between cinco and siete? Actually I remember. Used to work with a curmudgeonly ol' guy who did a morning show on the radio and he would only send listeners things such as recipes or photocopied stories, if they sent him a SASE.

BTW, nice goin' Bob! Merry Christmas all!