Thread: Real Mincemeat Pie

Real Mincemeat Pie

OK, who here remembers eating real mincemeat pie - not this syrupy glop full of raisins they call mincemeat these days?

I was just a grade schooler, and during the holidays I remember watching my great-grandmother making real mincemeat - real minced beef and bacon, beef suet in little cubes, some raisins, apples, currants, cloves, and so on. It tasted fantastic - sweet and savory, with a kick from the cloves. She died when I was 13 or so, so it's been 50 years since I had real mincemeat pie.

Who out there has an authentic old time recipe for it?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    Chris, my mom (passed away in2001) used to make "real" mincemeat pies for the holidays and most in the family loved them. I couldn't develop a taste for them but my brothers and dad used to inhale them. My mothers cook book went to an unfriendly niece and it is extremely difficult to get any of mom's recipes. I'll see if I can acquire it for you but don't get your hopes up. Bill

There are numerous recipes on the internet for real mince meat. Just find the one closest to what you remember. You might have to tweak the ingredients. Some of the recipes are from the 1700's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pile View Post
    OK, who here remembers eating real mincemeat pie - not this syrupy glop full of raisins they call mincemeat these days?

I was just a grade schooler, and during the holidays I remember watching my great-grandmother making real mincemeat - real minced beef and bacon, beef suet in little cubes, some raisins, apples, currants, cloves, and so on. It tasted fantastic - sweet and savory, with a kick from the cloves. She died when I was 13 or so, so it's been 50 years since I had real mincemeat pie.

Who out there has an authentic old time recipe for it?
    This is from an old church cookbook:

Pastry: 1 1/4 c flour 1/2 c lard 1/2 t salt 4 T ice water

Filling: 3 pt apples (chopped). 1 pt lean ground beef. 1 lb suet (ground). 1/2 c grape wine.

1/4 lb candied orange and lemon rind 1 pt cider. 1 tsp each: cinnamon, cloves and salt
    1 glass jelly 2 lbs seedless raisins. 1 lb currants 1/2 lb candied citron. 1/2 c vinegar. 1 lb sugar

Cook 20 minutes and can. Makes 10 pints of mincemeat. Line 9" pie pan with pastry; fill with mincemeat. Put on top crust. Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Not for just one pie but I'm sure you can adjust as needed.
    don

President Member
    "pt" being pint, not part; yes?

Quote Originally Posted by skyway View Post
    "pt" being pint, not part; yes?
    :Yes. Small t teaspoon. Large T Table spoon. Good Luck.
    don

President Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I remember the taste of mincemeat well. I had the opportunity to had some home-made with John Newman, a friend of mine and a proud expat from England. His mother, Mimi, came to visit and made the most wonderful pies. I asked her where she got them, and she told me that when she was a little girl living in India (when it was still a colony), she would watch her own mother make them for her servants and friends on special occasions. She's in her 90s now and she STILL works in taking care of the elderly!
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

My mom used to make it and let it ferment for months (perhaps a year) before it went into pies. She would make two large buckets of it, and it was wonderful. She was also a master pie crust maker. Unfortunately, we lost her before I had a chance to get the recipe. She also made an incredible deep dish butter tart pie. It had to be served a little cool, or the filling would escape. Served with ice cream, no less.

Speedster Member
    I don't recall ever having had real mincemeat pie. Sounds delish! Might try some for this Christmas.

bhapner