Thread: Chevy follows Ford's lead

Chevy follows Ford's lead

I think a lot of us were surprised by Ford's announcement that it was going to discontinue its sedan lines. Today I heard that Chevy is going to do the same thing. The Cruse, Volt and Impala lines are going to be discontinued.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Golden Hawk Member
    I always thought that it was strange that a Chevy Volt is a hybrid and a Chevy Bolt is all electric.

There is another thread with many entries on this subject.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by JRoberts View Post
    I think a lot of us were surprised by Ford's announcement that it was going to discontinue its sedan lines. Today I heard that Chevy is going to do the same thing.

The Cruse, Volt and Impala lines are going to be discontinued.
    Article said nothing about Impala being discontinued.

I recall a Cadillac sedan, Buick LaCrosse, and another, but it wasn't the Impala...which has sold for many years to more rent-a-car companies, then to individuals.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinM1895 View Post
    Article said nothing about Impala being discontinued.

I recall a Cadillac sedan, Buick LaCrosse, and another, but it wasn't the Impala...which has sold for many years to more rent-a-car companies, then to individuals.
    The Impala will be going away in a year or so. It hasn't been a rental car darling since the current car came out in 2014. In fact, I remember that Consumer Reports said it tested higher than any car they had ever tested, besides a Tesla.

I have a 2017 Cruze. We really like it a lot. The interior shines, IMHO. Surprisingly roomy rear seat and nicely finished interior, with chrome trim and cloth on the instrument panel. Not the typical sea of plastic everywhere. Big backup camera screen too. Consumer Reports, for good or bad, puts it near the top of that crowded class in testing, and has the car on its "Recommended" list. A couple Hondas fell off their list last month due to reliability issues.

Living within 35 or so miles of Lordstown since it opened, makes this sad for me. I never gave a damn about any sports team, but always was interested in what was happening at Lordstown and considered it "the home team". Detroit Free Press says employees will be offered to move to Flint and Arlington, TX production, where production is increasing.

I'd still buy a Cruze--but not one built after yesterday.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

President Member
    Also, the Malibu remains. Ford got out of that segment by discontinuing the Fusion. I read nothing about the Sonic, Camaro, or Corvette yesterday, either.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    Also, the Malibu remains. Ford got out of that segment by discontinuing the Fusion. I read nothing about the Sonic, Camaro, or Corvette yesterday, either.
    The Fusion, Ford's best selling car...is slated to be discontinued, but this will not occur for another 5 years.

I'm a retired Ford parts manager, currently have a 2017 Fusion, previously had a 2008 Fusion. I've also owned 6 new F150's...dating back to 1979.

I recall when Consumer Reports rated the 2014 Impala higher than anything other than the Tesla, but they didn't have too much good to say about the Buick LaCrosse, what the Impala is based off of.
    Last edited by WinM1895; 11-27-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    This is kind of a flip flop.

Two threads going on the GM plant closings. One here on Stove Huggers and one on the Studebaker Specific forum.

The one on the Studebaker forum is pretty much GMs "hidden agendas" and conspiracy theories.

Here, pretty much facts.

You'd think it would be the other way around.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Golden Hawk Member
    IIRC, the Sonic is not really a Chevy, but a foreign GM product - perhaps Korea.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    IIRC, the Sonic is not really a Chevy, but a foreign GM product - perhaps Korea.
    The Sonic has always been built in Michigan.

No offense to the other poster (not Gary), but it seems hard-to-believe that Ford would announce to the media that they are discontinuing the Fusion--five years from now.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

No offense to the other poster (not Gary), but it seems hard-to-believe that Ford would announce to the media that they are discontinuing the Fusion--five years from now.
    That's what the article that I read stated, cancelled by 2023. Fusion has been assembled in Mexico since day one.

Golden Hawk Member
    The Sonic has always been built in Michigan.
    Sorry. Obviously I do not keep up on Chevrolets. I thought that they had a rebadged Asian car, like Buick does. Perhaps I just have the incorrect model. I have never purchased a new Chevrolet and I never sold them new.

EDIT: AH-HA It is the Chevrolet Spark that is built in Korea. Two S Chevrolet models to break from the traditional C models.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

President Member
    Automobile manufacturers simply produce what the public wants or thinks they want. The public doesn't want sedans apparently so the obvious shut downs are inevitable for the time being. It's sad folks are loosing their jobs but it seems the GM office is providing opportunities in their other plants so some may be able to take advantage of that. Seems the used car market will soon be flooded with sedans if they are not already. That could be promising for those buyers. Is this the bright side? Time will tell.

President Member
    Some Fusions were or are built in Michigan as well as Mexico.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

I think (hope?) that GM learned when they had to be bailed out in 2008-2009 that they have to be a little more proactive than they had been. Ford and Fiat Chrysler have already done what GM is now doing. No surprise that GM is doing the same (just a little late again).

All 3 realize that the electric car is where they need to be and as quickly as possible Tesla is already outselling (delivered vehicles) Mercedes and BMW products in the US.

Although SUVs and Pickups will probably continue to sell in big numbers in North America, they will soon be electric also (IMHO). Tesla and others will likely be offering electric trucks well before the big 3 do.
    Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 11-27-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Some Fusions were or are built in Michigan as well as Mexico.
    When? If the first digit of the VIN is a 3 = Mexico. Both my 2008 and current 2017 Fusions have 3's. 1 is US and 2 is Canada.

President Member
    From wikipedia:

Image result for where is ford fusion built
    Like the previous generation Fusion, the final assembly takes place at Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly, Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico. Due to strong sales of the redesigned 2013 year model, additional capacity was added in Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Michigan.

My Studebaker friend helped his sister buy a new Fusion a few years ago. They looked for Flat Rock cars, but per him, dealers here in Ohio had many more built in Mexico although they did see some Flat Rock-assembled Fusions.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

Don't be surprised if Ford changes their mind, should the market shift for whatever reason. We saw the rather sudden swing back to full-size cars in 1982/83, where Pontiac dealers no longer had a 'B/C' body to sell. For the first time ever, the Parisienne, made and sold in Canada for years and years, was finally sold in the US starting from mid-1983 to 1986 to appease dealer demand for a full-size Pontiac.

Craig

I wonder how many of GM's Chinese plants are going to close, and how many Chinese workers will be layed off...

Quote Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    I wonder how many of GM's Chinese plants are going to close, and how many Chinese workers will be layed off...
    I'd guess none. We (North Americans) insist on low prices over almost everything else. There is no way a car can be made cheaper with North American labor rates vs China, Mexico, Korea, and others....even counting the additional transport. We will drive even more manufacturing off shore with our tariffs on steel, aluminum and other raw materials (my opinion).
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    I'd guess none. We (North Americans) insist on low prices over almost everything else. There is no way a car can be made cheaper with North American labor rates vs China, Mexico, Korea, and others....even counting the additional transport. We will drive even more manufacturing off shore with our tariffs on steel, aluminum and other raw materials (my opinion).
    I think you have hit the nail right on the head.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    I’m up in the air on tariffs but am willing to give it plenty of time to play out. I think it gives our country a good bargaining chip in the manufacturing game.
    As for car production in this country, there really isn’t much profit in it given the foreign competition. I remember back in the early 70’s I bought a used Suzuki X6 Hustler motorcycle. I threw a chain and broke the output shaft off the side of the engine. I decided to fix it so I ordered a new chain, both sprockets, a new output shaft, full gasket set and a new set of piston rings. The total price for those parts was $15. Yes, fifteen dollars. Even back then I thought, this can’t be right, no way can they make these parts and ship them from Japan and sell them to me for fifteen dollars. Quality aside, their strategy was to price themselves into the market place and price any competition out. In a sense the same thing is occurring with the car market in our country but this time quality is not an issue although perceived quality might be.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by nels View Post
    I’m up in the air on tariffs but am willing to give it plenty of time to play out. I think it gives our country a good bargaining chip in the manufacturing game.
    Wrong attitude, Nels. The name of today's game is instant gratification; no less!

You've obviously no been paying attention. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.