Fabricobbling at it's finest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabricobbling at it's finest

I was northbound on I-75 returning from the Moultrie Swap Meet. About 60 miles into a 150 mile trip.
    I was driving my '82 GMC 2500 dump truck loaded with all the swap meet goodies I bought and the junk I wasn't able to sell.
    The engine I'm running in the Dump Truck is a 150,000 mile 1970 Caddy Eldarado 500 CI.
    I was in the hammer lane running about 79 MPH trying to keep up with traffic , when a gaudawful noise came out of the engine and he started skipping on one cylinder. I managed to get over into the slowpoke lane and make it to the next exit a couple miles up the road.
    I could control the amount of noise coming from the engine with the accelerator. The harder I mashed, the louder the noise. Almost no noise with no acceleration.
    Got into a well lighted area in a gas station and assessed the situation. The noise seemed to be coming from the driver's side of the engine and when I checked each cylinder for power, found that number 4 was completely dead.
    Pulled the valve cover (I always carry a good assortment of tools when I go out of town) (they come in handy when people like Occisfer Dave and Sheba needs them)
    It seems like even my bad luck is good. It wasn't near as bad as all the thoughts that had been going through my head for the last 20 minutes or so.
    A rocker arm keeper had broken and the #4 exhaust rocker had fallen off the shaft

I had a 24" piece of 14 gauge wire in the tool box. I thought, "this'll do".

I tied the rocker on (leaving enough slack in the wire so that the rockers would still work independently) and bolted the valve cover back on.
    Made the rest of the trip trouble free.
    I think if it wasn't for the slight oil leak at the VC gasket, I would leave it the way is just to see hoe long it woukd last.

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

This impresses me (not an easy thing to do ).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Glad you made it home! It always pays to have a few tools, and spare parts, for road side repairs.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
        Glad you made it home! It always pays to have a few tools, and spare parts, for road side repairs.
        And one hell of an imagination! Well done. Bob

Comment

Good job Jerry!!! Having luck on your side is a good thing. Bill

Comment

Very impressive. And thanks for the report.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

The Dump Truck.

Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

A more recent picture, today.
                That's Piglet on the back. He's my swap meet ride.

Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Glad you got home OK...
                  This would have never happened to your stolen dumper truck
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    Glad you got home OK...
                    This would have never happened to your stolen dumper truck
                    You mean this one on the other side of Leo?

I figure that one is somewhere in LA (lower aladamnbama) by now in a zillion parts. I hate thieves.
                    How do I run a nation wide vin search to see if it has been registered in another state?
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Quick, rush down to the patent office. You have just created the first "Cross-Wire" engine.
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

SO lucky it didn't throw the lifter, at that speed...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                          SO lucky it didn't throw the lifter, at that speed...
                          You are correct. Like I said, even my bad luck is good. The GMC/Caddy has an oil pressure light that would have come on as soon as the lifter left it's bore. If that had happened, it would have meant pulling the intake. Not something I would want to do at 9PM in a gas station parking lot. But I have done much more elaborate jobs than that before in much worse situations.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

The pictures don't show the cleanest of engines. And in this case a good thing. There was a chance that build up on the lower portion of the lifter caused it to say in the bore. It might have even elevated, locked in the bore and avoided additional contact with the cam. Eight more lives left in that engine.
                            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Hey Jerry/////////////////

While working with a Caddie dealer, a good friend had one of those engines.. Seems he lost all oil pressure on the engine.. Simply pulled the distributor, reversed the oil pump hex drive from top to bottom, reinstalled it.. Good oil pressure then on.. Cheated me out of a crate engine sale it did!! Remember that , could happen to you too..

Ben (ex Buccaneer Pontiac parts Mgr., Douglasville,Ga.)

Comment

Working...
                              X