Tire Sizes Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Tire Sizes Again

I know that correct tire size for our Studes has been covered many times before, but here goes: Car is a 49 Champion. When I bought it ten years ago, it had H78/15 tires. I am going to switch to new wide white radials. From what I think I have read, the best metric size would be 195/75/15. Online I found one brand new American Classic of that size for a terrific bargain price, bought it to see how it looks on the car. Well, I don't like the look of the 195, looks tiny from the side. I know I can move up to 205/75/15, but am concerned that I may not like that size, esp. compared to the present H78s, whose dimensions compare well with 215/75/15. Is anyone running 215/75/15s on a 47-52 model? I am esp. concerned with the 5 inch wheel being too small for the 215s. Any advice out there? Thanks guys for the help.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1759760Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1759761Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1759762Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2033.jpg
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1759763

Robert, I have been through this several times with my Studebakers and here is what I recommend. Stay with the 195. It is the best size for your wheels. The 195/75.15 tires are a good match for the originals. You will also find that going to radial tires will be better for steering with the proper sized tires. I am guessing you do not have power steering. This is just my experience.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

That new tire looks great. I am surprised that an H 78 fit without rubbing.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Robert,
        I am shocked that you were able to fit an H78-15 tire under there. It actually relates to a metric P225/75r15 (or P235/70R15) which is a very large tire, more specifically intended to be on the very large station wagons and full size cars of the 70's. Can you say Griswald Family Truckster? The Champion's original size was 640-15 which as you state, equates to 195/75r15 which being radial with more sidewall flex, does appear to be too small. This is not to mention how difficult to procure that size is in today's market. I know as I own a 1948 Starlight coupe fitted with the same size bias tires. If you really want to fit a larger looking tire, I would suggest 215/75r15 as the largest, especially seeing as you have the original very narrow wheels. P205/75r15 would be a preferred application. Also it will steer more easily. PS: I spent 40+ years in the tire and wheel industry, so I too prefer the largest size that safely and comfortabley fits.
        Luck, Bill

Comment

My 1950 Champion has 205-75-15 radial tires, and I consider them the perfect size for the car.

I just installed 225-75-15 radials on my 1950 Land Cruiser, and wish I'd have gone with 235-75-15.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion at Anoka State Hospital.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1724367

Comment

Just remember, you have a small, Light Champion Six, not a larger and heavier Commander Six, Land Cruiser or a more powerful '51-'52 Commander V8.

You do NOT need balloons in there! Many of these early Champions had 5.90/6.00 Tires!

The 5 Inch wheels are plenty enough for up to P205X75R15's, but the Non-Radial characteristics are a bigger problem.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
              Robert,
              I am shocked that you were able to fit an H78-15 tire under there. It actually relates to a metric P225/75r15 (or P235/70R15) which is a very large tire, more specifically intended to be on the very large station wagons and full size cars of the 70's. Can you say Griswald Family Truckster? The Champion's original size was 640-15 which as you state, equates to 195/75r15 which being radial with more sidewall flex, does appear to be too small. This is not to mention how difficult to procure that size is in today's market. I know as I own a 1948 Starlight coupe fitted with the same size bias tires. If you really want to fit a larger looking tire, I would suggest 215/75r15 as the largest, especially seeing as you have the original very narrow wheels. P205/75r15 would be a preferred application. Also it will steer more easily. PS: I spent 40+ years in the tire and wheel industry, so I too prefer the largest size that safely and comfortabley fits.
              Luck, Bill
              All good point, however, I put 195/75R15s on my 1955 President Sedan and they look just fine. They properly fit the rims and handle great. They were also readily available. I found mine through Discount Tire (Tire Direct) for a very reasonable price.
              They handle great.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
              X